Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: What do use for downloading Music
PeterChenoweth #260041 05/12/09 02:44 AM
old hand
old hand
 Originally Posted By: PeterChenoweth
But of course, there's a flip side to having digital media. When my co-worker's car was broken into a couple of years ago, the thief stole a slip-wallet full of CD's. Real CD's. Insurance covered the broken glass, and damage to the car, but not the CD's. He was SOL. Had they been self-burned CD-R's from a digital-collection, he could have spent $3 on CD-R's to burn new ones. Even if it had been an iPod full of music, the cost would have been less than having to repurchase those 20 or so CD's that were stolen. The moral of the story is to rip & reburn the CD's that you own if you're going to keep them in a car. ;\)
I take my retail CDs, rip them to MP3, keep on computer, transfer to iPod, transfer to PS3. If I want to listen to it in the car, I usually burn an MP3 CD so I'm not changing CDs every hour (or listening to the same 12-15 songs for days at a time). This way I get the best of both worlds. Every advantage of having a real recording plus all the advantages of a digital copy. Plus I get to encode the MP3 at whatever bit rate I want with whichever encoder I want (usually 224kbps Stereo in high quality with the LAME encoder using CDex).

For the most part, my CDs sit on a shelf, but they're there and there's no question that I purchased the music. I can have my mp3s all back and named/arranged how I want in a matter of about 4-6 minutes per disc. I'll know they're all exactly the same quality, ripped at exactly the same time with exactly the same settings. I'll know there are no errors, missing pieces, no "bit rot", and no imperfections not present on the original recording.

I hope that didn't come out like an argument (it wasn't meant to be...Again, just my opinion on the subject and how I see it).

If there ever comes a time (there will, but I mean in my lifetime) when I'm no longer able to get physical copies of new music, I hope I hate all the new music and wouldn't buy it anyway \:\)

As for your comment about 35mm film. I'm all for digital cameras. There's an actual advantage to them; you don't have to get any prints of any pictures that didn't turn out perfect. With music, the only advantage is convenience, and usually it comes at a price: quality (I do realise you can download tracks encoded with the FLAC from some services and that's why I said "usually":))

Last edited by Scott64; 05/12/09 02:46 AM. Reason: typo
Stereoguy99 #260049 05/12/09 04:03 AM
veteran
veteran
Soulseek.
Been using it for years, never encountered a single virus, or a "music-bomb", which I've never even heard of before until reading about it in this thread. Maybe it's because I download mainly smaller/indy music, so no one would bother to plant one of these so called bombs in music relatively few people would be downloading.

fredk #260161 05/13/09 05:57 AM
devotee
devotee
 Originally Posted By: fredk
My post was not meant as a judgement/comment on piracy. I am on the fence on the whole topic since I think that the music industry is ripping off the majority of artists in the first place.

One thing to take note of is that regardless of how "ripped off" an artist gets(in many cases, it's not as miserable as people say), the worst person looking to get you money is better than the best person not looking to get you money.

Too many bands are out there blowing their advance money then crying poverty, and there are too many groups that should have never been signed to begin with.

For real.

I use usenet to audition and stores to buy. I would never pay for copy protected music when I could pay for the CD and not have to deal with it, and I'd never pay for any lossy junk when FLAC can be had off usenet for free.

Last edited by Thasp; 05/13/09 05:59 AM.
Thasp #260629 05/17/09 06:14 PM
veteran
veteran
to the original poster's question... i use Utorrent.(BTW Utorrent is a program not a site, i use mainly ISOHUNT for the actual files) stick to the right bit torrent sites where there are user reviews of the up loaders and you'll be fine. in years of downloading i've encountered very few viruses and my AV scanners have caught the few.
Before screaming pirate! if music is any good i then buy it, usually the CD. If amazon mp3's ever come to Canada i might consider them.
Kinda sad when i go to the records store, they look at you weird when you buy a CD... physical media? huh? are you sure??

What does this button do?
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020