Rate Thread
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Emotiva MPS-2 Amp hum/buzz questions
myrison #251495 03/12/09 09:53 PM
buff
OP Offline
buff
 Originally Posted By: myrison
As someone who has followed Laura's posts on AVS as well as here, I have to give a big group hug to everyone here who tried to help out. \:\)

While the AVS Forum quickly devolved into an argument about amplifier quality and then split into fifteen different unrelated discussions, you guys actually worked through and tried to help Laura solve the problem.

Laura - for what it's worth, I think you made the right decision and should be happy that you figured out you don't "need" the amp while you could get rid of it for only the cost of shipping. Plus you now don't have to play the "what if" game with yourself and can be happy knowing you've got a great sound setup. Upgraditis can never truly be cured, but at least you've generated temporary immunity to separate-amps-disease. ;\)

Jason

PS: Some of the things I hear about Emotiva's customer support are amazing. "Noise like this is normal in these kinds of amps" What?! \:o

Thanks myrison! I agree about how helpful folks are on this site (and persistent!). Yes - I think I have a temporary cure.

Re: Emotiva MPS-2 Amp hum/buzz questions
chapin99 #260772 05/19/09 02:38 PM
P
P
Laura,

I have had my MMC-1/MPS-2 setup for over a year now (using only two channels at this time) and the sibilance in the upper frequencies of the audio range still exists.

Separate from that, I also have a hum coming from one of my modules. Lonnie from Emotiva assured me that the root cause of this hum is electro-mechanical and does not have effect the quality of audio. Even so, he offered to replace the module causing the hum. In my case the hum was only audible within a foot and with dead silence so I didn't bother to tear apart my rig.

The sibilance however continues to grate on me. A flagship amplifier shouldn't sound like this. I have read great reviews of this amplifier and its predecessor (MPS-1). It could be bad modules but something tells me no since it occurs across both channels. I am afraid it's inherent in the design.

So you ended up sending yours back? I do not have that luxury now that I am a year+ into ownership. Maybe I'll hit up Emotiva support again and see what they say. Did they have any comments for you as to the cause of the sibilance?

Thanks,

Paul

Respectfully,

Paul
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457