Difficult situation...
#263066 06/09/09 05:26 PM
C
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
C
Hello everyone :),

My name is Steven, and I live in Belgium.

Currently, I'm in a kind of difficult situation (well at least for me, since I'm a newbie at all this stuff ^^).
So here it is... In a few weeks I am moving out, and I plan to buy a new "multimedia center" for this new space. The room I'll be staying in is a rented attic in a house with other people, but they have busy lives and aren't home that often, so I can crank up the volume once in a while ^^. \:D The room itself will be pretty small in comparison to the rest of the rooms in the house, and it'll be the only part of the house in which I can put what I want. The rest of the house is available to me, but I can't change any of that, you see? ^^

So now, I have to find the appropriate speakers for a space of that size. The room will be 32 square meters, so that means (according to Google conversions) about 344 square feet (13.1233596 feet * 26.2467192 feet), and about 7 feet (2.2 meters) high in the middle of the room, BUT it descends down to about 3 feet (1 meter) from the middle, on both sides of the ceiling. I hope you can kind of imagine those numbers ^^, because unfortunately I don't have a picture right now (I'm on my laptop).

The right speakers for that space are one thing, but then I have another question :). The speakers will be linked to a Onkyo TX-SR706 A/V Receiver (any other suggestions here? \:D Always welcome \:D ), so that means I will need a surround speaker-set. But now I wonder... Should there be any harm in listening to stereo music through (a) surround receiver/speakers ?

I asked these questions here because I've heard and read good things about Axiom speakers, and I might consider buying them, if they offer a good setup for a room & receiver like mine. \:\)

Anyway, thanks a million in advance!

Greets !
Steven

Re: Difficult situation...
Crydevil #263071 06/09/09 06:10 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I've always wondered what music and movies sounded like in an A-frame attic like you are describing.

I have no idea, but I'm happy to wait here with you for the Axiom posse to arrive.

I'm very good at playing the damsel in distress. Hey, maybe if speakergrrl appears, BrenR will come running. Don't worry if you don't get that reference - it was made for the old-timers here.

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
medic8r #263075 06/09/09 06:20 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Hello, Steven, welcome!

That Onkyo is a very nice unit, and will pair beautifully with Axiom speakers.

Quote:
Should there be any harm in listening to stereo music through (a) surround receiver/speakers?

Music in surround is wonderful!

I highly recommend Axiom speakers if they are in your price range.

I don't think your situation is difficult - I think it is exciting!

That is a decent-sized room. Perhaps positioning the speakers will be the difficult thing, but you can always experiment. Unless you are planning to stay in this attic for a long time, I would consider getting small speakers (like the M3 or M22) and perhaps some stands (if you do not have furniture upon which you will place the speakers) so that you can move them more easily later.

How is the beer in your area? \:\)

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
medic8r #263077 06/09/09 06:22 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Hi Steven, Welcome. Sounds like an interesting room...according to my math, you are looking at somewhere around 1700ish cubic ft or thereabouts. There are several combinations from Axiom that you might consider....what kind of budget were you looking at? A nice combo would be the Epic Grand Master 350(save a little extra if you don't mind waiting by going through the Factory Outlet).

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Crydevil #263081 06/09/09 06:29 PM
shareholder in the making
It's great that you discovered Axiom speakers and I'm sure you will love them if you decide to go with them. Your room description is a little ambiguous. I made these models in Google SketchUp with the dimensions you gave us. Is your room like this

or like this?

If it's like the first, then it would be easier to set up a surround sound system since the back wall is closer. If it's like the second picture then it would be a bit more difficult, but still not impossible. Both room layouts would work well for stereo listening.

Welcome to the forum. I'm sure someone else will come along and give their opinion.

EDIT: Looks like people already responded while I was doing the models.

Last edited by pmbuko; 06/09/09 06:32 PM. Reason: the regulars are quicker than I thought
medic8r #263084 06/09/09 06:30 PM
C
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
C
 Originally Posted By: medic8r
I've always wondered what music and movies sounded like in an A-frame attic like you are describing.

I have no idea, but I'm happy to wait here with you for the Axiom posse to arrive.

I'm very good at playing the damsel in distress. Hey, maybe if speakergrrl appears, BrenR will come running. Don't worry if you don't get that reference - it was made for the old-timers here.

Hey :D,

Thanks for the reply ^^. Indeed, I don't know what that means ^^, and I'll let you know how it sounds in that room ! \:D (If I don't forget until then ^^)

Greets !
Steven

tomtuttle #263088 06/09/09 06:33 PM
C
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
C
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle

That is a decent-sized room. Perhaps positioning the speakers will be the difficult thing, but you can always experiment. Unless you are planning to stay in this attic for a long time, I would consider getting small speakers (like the M3 or M22) and perhaps some stands (if you do not have furniture upon which you will place the speakers) so that you can move them more easily later.

How is the beer in your area? \:\)

Hey Tomtuttle :),

Thanks for the warm welcome ! \:D
Yeah I plan to buy some stand with the speakers, since it's hard to hang those surround ones on the crooked part of the roof... \:\(

Thanks for the reply ! \:D

Greets !
Steven

PS: The beer is great ! Brands like Duvel, Jupiler, Maes (don't like that one), Hoegaarden, ... I don't know if you've tasted some of the Belgian brands before :), but I guess it's beer like anywhere else ^^.

Crydevil #263090 06/09/09 06:36 PM
 Quote:
but I guess it's beer like anywhere else ^^
You have no idea how good you have it, do you? Belgian beer is my favorite kind. Especially Het Anker. drool......

Crydevil #263094 06/09/09 06:38 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Greets! : REFLECT!!! :: Steven : Bbigwyres

PS: Cool, posters with actual speaker knowledge have arrived!

Last edited by medic8r; 06/09/09 06:40 PM. Reason: I'm slow again

Bears, beets, Battlestar Galactica.
Adrian #263095 06/09/09 06:39 PM
C
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
C
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
Hi Steven, Welcome. Sounds like an interesting room...according to my math, you are looking at somewhere around 1700ish cubic ft or thereabouts. There are several combinations from Axiom that you might consider....what kind of budget were you looking at? A nice combo would be the Epic Grand Master 350(save a little extra if you don't mind waiting by going through the Factory Outlet).

Hey Adrian, thanks for the welcome \:\) !

With my budget, I'm trying not to exceed € 1500, so I think it should be enough for a good set of quality Axiom speakers :).
I've checked out the ones you suggested, and I like them :), although I would prefer those speakers on the stands to be floorstanding speakers. I don't know if there would be a difference in sound then, but I just like the sight better ^^ (I wouldn't choose floorstanding speakers if there is a decrease in sound quality though ^^)

Thank you for the reply ! \:\)

Greets !
Steven

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617