Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Vacay in Canada. Quebec, Montreal, Nova Scotia??
#263443 06/12/09 01:32 AM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
We are trying to plan our last summer vacation before kids, as our first is due in December. Apparently my wife isn't supposed to fly to Europe or cross country to the West Coast, so we are looking at closer options. One thing that came up is Canada, specifically Quebec and Nova Scotia, and maybe Montreal.

As there are a lot of Canadians on the boards, I wanted to get some input. How are these places to visit? Is there a lot to do and see? Will I need to know some French in Quebec, or will everyone speak English too? Is Axiom anywhere nearby that I could stop in for a visit ;\) (I'm thinking no for that one).

Re: Vacay in Canada. Quebec, Montreal, Nova Scotia??
Zarak #263457 06/12/09 04:05 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Depends what you like. Montreal is a wonderful city. If you can get there during the comedy or jazz festival thats a bonus. It really does have a European feel to it, and yes, everyone will speak English.

The east coast is also a wonderful place, but in a very different way. I'll be heading out that way with my kids in 4 weeks.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Zarak #263459 06/12/09 04:48 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Jason, I've traveled extensively in Canada, and although we speak(approximately)the same language, in any Province you may have some communication difficulties. For example, I was often perplexed by hearing references to "a boat", which was not visible when I looked.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #263508 06/12/09 05:06 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Montreal is wonderful city full of culture. I'd have trouble doing a "What to do list" though, but mostly just because I have never spent any long periods of time there. Quebec City is even more full of cultural experiences with a very lovely historical
section of the city to wander around and explore. I personally enjoy Quebec City more but again, may be biased as I have only been in and out of Montreal for work, concerts or sporting events.

I'm sure you are aware but both cities are very predominantly French, but speaking the language is not required to enjoy. Almost everyone you will meet in a store, restaurant or tourist type environment will be bilingual. The sad truth is that in most places in Canada, the majority of French also speak English but only a minority of English speak French.

Closer to home...
Nova Scotia is a very beautiful place. Halifax is a friendly, historical, multi-cultural, harbor front city to explore with a ton to see and do. More than I could summarize here quickly. A couple of hours away, Cape Breton features a beautiful drive around the Cabot Trail featuring roads and hiking/walking trails over mountains overlooking the Atlantic Ocean. It also has the premier Salmon fishing river in the Maritimes, The Marguerite. An hour south of Halifax, the Lunenburg area is a truly wonderful seaside area full of quaint villages, ocean views dotted with small islands, and all the seafood you can possibly imagine.

Water is a big draw anywhere in the Maritimes. All provinces are full of great whale watching, deep sea fishing, boat tours, sea kayaking destinations and more.

Of course, I'll plug Prince Edward Island as well. If your going to be in Nova Scotia, I highly recommend taking the ferry to PEI or travel the worlds second largest bridge (over 8 miles long and 197' high at it's peak.) PEI has some of the best beaches on the East Coast, beautiful coastal and inland views, it's rather unique red soil, world famous golf courses, dirt cheap lobster, and a generally relaxed culture famous for a friendliness, second only maybe to our wonderfully crazy friends in Newfoundland.

That's a pretty general guide with probably nothing new for you but if you have specific questions about the Maritimes, pass them on, for sure.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #263552 06/12/09 11:39 PM
Zarak Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Thanks for the info. It looks like Nova Scotia, Prince Edward Island, and Cape Breton could be a trip. A second option would be Quebec City, Montreal, and maybe even Ottawa.

I'll have to talk to my wife and we'll see if we can narrow things down.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044