Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: Wireless router advice
oldskoolboarder #263576 06/13/09 05:48 AM
I
local
local
I
Perhaps what I am looking for is not a wireless router but if I may, I wanted to ask if anyone knows whether there is a "router" that can wirelessly transmit the signal from a cable set-top box (Comcast's Motorola type) to a different room in the house. I did a search and came across Slingshot, which can transmit to a PC, and the yet unavailable Belkin FlyWire AV69003, but really did not see anything that can transmit full HD multichannel signal wirelessly from a cable box. We have an HT room and the cable socket is just behind the projector screen, which means that I would have to run a coaxial line all the way to the opposite end of the room where the projector is and get another cable box. I would appreciate any input you may have. Thanks in advance.

Last edited by ihifi; 06/13/09 05:49 AM.

John
Our HT

ihifi #263609 06/13/09 07:09 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I followed Cnet's recommendation for the Belkin N+ and it works advertised. And wired, it is funny to see 1GB in the speed bar. Range was not much improvement over prior Linksys, but that is going through multiple walls.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Zimm #263775 06/15/09 05:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Interesting that a few have had problems with the D-Link DIR-655. That's too bad. I have one, and both my boss and a co-worker have bought them based on my recommendations. None of us have had any problems with them.

Mine's great, and is easily the most reliable router I've ever owned. Distances and link speeds are great. The only time I've reset it was when doing a firmware update or two. Even when it's busy (a couple of 802.11N LAN transfers, maxxed-out DSL downloading to a third machine, WiFi print jobs, etc), it's never skipped a beat.

None of us have Zunes nor XBoxes, so perhaps there is an incompatibility there somewhere. It is possible. A long time ago I had a notebook that just would not connect to my Linksys router. There was a known compatibility problem, and a firmware update (on the Linksys) resolved it.

I've heard good things about AirPorts. And the latest Time Capsules look very interesting as well, especially if you have a need for NAS. The true dual-band 802.11ABGN is pretty sweet. As my home computing landscape becomes more and more Mac oriented (the horror!) I'll probably end up getting one. Simply because A) the work well and B) they work with Time Machine.

Last edited by PeterChenoweth; 06/15/09 05:47 PM.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
Joe_in_SC #263777 06/15/09 05:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Joe_in_Ct
Thanks for the info guys. All of my (4) wired computers have gigabit, but I may have to upgrade the wiring. I think it requires at least Cat 5e, and 2 of the computers are only wired with Cat 5.

Don't even bother with Cat 5e. Just do Cat6 if you're trying to put together a gigabit network. As always, check Monoprice.com for the best prices. \:\)

The best wireless networks are pretty good, but it's not going to be as fast or as reliable as a wired network, especially if you're moving large amounts of data around your home. If it's not too much trouble, I'd redo the network cables and keep the backbone of your home LAN wired.

But that doesn't mean you should look at setting up a WiFi network too. WiFi is a godsend when it comes to portable equipment or for stuff that doesn't need to push multi-gigs of data quickly.

Last edited by PeterChenoweth; 06/15/09 05:45 PM.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
PeterChenoweth #263789 06/15/09 06:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Peter is wise.

Also, by chance are you trying to VPN over wireless? Having both your VP and your router doing tunneling and encryption introduces some complexities that oftsometimes results in continual disconnects. There are some things that can help but wired is sometimes better for VPN connections to work and such unless you like to tweak.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
cb919 #263827 06/16/09 01:02 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: cb919
Joe,
Check out the Linksys page and you can filter by N wireless and Gigabit switching.

In my personal experience I like to go with Linksys. I have had the WRT310N for the past 6 months and have not had any issues. Prior to this router I have had two D-Links and I simply find the Linksys to be more stable and user friendly. Prior to getting the Linksys WRT310N, I tried the D-Link DIR-655 because it had rave reviews everywhere. I returned it for the Linksys as some of my wireless components just wouldn't reliably connect to it. Once replaced by the Linksys everything worked. Come to think of it i don't think i've been forced to reboot it once in 6 months.

Hope that helps.

I don't use wireless (for some of the reasons mentioned above and i don't own a laptop so i fail to see the point just yet) but i would also give a thumbs up to the Linksys brands. The hard wired models i've had over the years have been stellar, while i've had nothing but unintuitive manual reading headaches with Dlinks that friends bought against my recommendation.

About 4 years ago before we finished our basement, we wired up the place with Cat5e. Cat6 wasn't so popular or considered necessary at the time and Cat5e was already suggested as the next step short of going optical.
Still have yet to even get a gigabit system running (older NICs, older router).

Last edited by chesseroo; 06/16/09 01:02 AM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #263834 06/16/09 01:24 AM
devotee
OP Offline
devotee
Interestingly, and very timely, PCWorld just did a wireless router comparison. In their tests, they rated Belkin and D-Link on top. One had better short range performance and one was better long range. The price is the same at $100 retail. I have no personal experience with Belkin so at the moment I'm leaning toward staying with D-Link. Both have a USB port for NAS and gigabit ethernet.

I started out with nothing & I've still got most of it left
M60 VP160 QS8 EP350
M22 VP100
Algonquins
Joe_in_SC #263843 06/16/09 02:11 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Joe,
I would say give the D-Link a try if that's the way you are leaning. Referring to the DIR-655 specifically, there must be a reason it received rave reviews - and truth be told I wanted it to work as it had some really cool features I would have found useful. However both my NAS and my Sonos controller were just quirky on wireless with it. Replacing with the Linksys cured my issues. But maybe the D-Link will work fine for you? Peter seems fine with his judging by his post.

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
cb919 #263883 06/16/09 12:41 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: cb919
Joe,
I would say give the D-Link a try if that's the way you are leaning. Referring to the DIR-655 specifically, there must be a reason it received rave reviews - and truth be told I wanted it to work as it had some really cool features I would have found useful. However both my NAS and my Sonos controller were just quirky on wireless with it. Replacing with the Linksys cured my issues. But maybe the D-Link will work fine for you? Peter seems fine with his judging by his post.

When you had your DIR-655 troubles, did you update the firmware? Just wondered - as there have been at least a couple of updates since it was released. Perhaps Zune compatibility was an issue.

And FWIW - on mine, I've got the wifi set up to be WPA2 encrypted. I have no problems/disconnects when VPN-ing in to work on XP, Vista, and OSX machines connected via wifi.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
PeterChenoweth #264502 06/24/09 04:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Couple of questions - out of my ignorance - do any of you have a printer connected to the router so that my multiple college students could make use when they are home? One daughter has an IBM laptop and one has a MacBook. Would I need to get an Airport so the Mac would work - and if so should I anticipate problems with the IBM or my Dell?.........Rob

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters