Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Interconnecting for 2-channel listening
BlueJays1 #264303 06/21/09 03:34 PM
shareholder in the making
Despite the religious wars going on here, I'm going to say that having a properly calibrated sub hooked up to your two channel is going to make more of a difference than what might (or might not be) a marginally better DAC. Just use the digial outs and let the receiver handle it.

Also, those pictures are absurd large and really, really annoying. What a surprise.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
BlueJays1 #264305 06/21/09 05:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Does anyone know how I can resize those giant pictures? The originals were not so big. Sorry guys.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
2x6spds #264306 06/21/09 06:03 PM
You could always post a link to large pics, which would avoid the need to resize altogether. I like large pics, don't get me wrong, just not when they're in competition with reading posts.

2x6spds #264307 06/21/09 06:19 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: 2x6spds
Does anyone know how I can resize those giant pictures? The originals were not so big. Sorry guys.

Pretty much all photo editing software has a resize option somewhere. Some web hosting sites will handle it for you as well. Flickr allows me to link to either the original size or two smaller sizes.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Ken.C #264308 06/21/09 06:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
I'm going to say that having a properly calibrated sub hooked up to your two channel is going to make more of a difference than what might (or might not be) a marginally better DAC.

I agree with this as well.

The thing with hardware is that over time it gets better and cheaper. DACs are a mature product at this point. I remember coming across a post on the wholesale cost of a mid level vs high end Burr Brown DAC. It was less than $10.

Focus on what makes the biggest difference.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
BlueJays1 #264310 06/21/09 08:20 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
I was wondering what made my view difficult?? Ahh, the pic.

Ken.C #264311 06/21/09 08:38 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Despite the religious wars going on here, I'm going to say that having a properly calibrated sub hooked up to your two channel is going to make more of a difference than what might (or might not be) a marginally better DAC. Just use the digial outs and let the receiver handle it.

So are you suggesting it may be too difficult dialing the sub in if I use the speaker level inputs to the sub along with its filter?
I assumed this would be the only way to get around the bass management in the AVR; however, I think I would have to physically remove the speaker level inputs when viewing a movie if I want to take advantage of the LFE output of the AVR, making it a little inconveinient to switch between sources.
I guess I'll just have to wait and see by doing some comparing, maybe I'm putting a little too much emphasis on the stereo DAC that's present in the Oppo. I do understand that there are a lot of other components within the DAC circuit and a higher quality DAC chip may not perform to its capabilities if not integrated well within the circuit.
Sips

powerwindow #264312 06/21/09 08:54 PM
I really do think you're putting too much emphasis on the DAC. Any difference is likely to be very slight--and that's not because other components may be substandard or anything like that. Bass management is not your enemy, is really what I'm saying.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #264329 06/22/09 03:31 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Bass management is not your enemy, is really what I'm saying.

I totally agree with you. I want to be able to use bass management. It's just that to me it seems logical if the signal has already been converted to analog at the source (by a supposedly better DAC chip)you do not want to reconvert the signal to digital in order to apply bass management. Then convert again to analog to go out to the speakers. The less stuff you put in the way of the signal the better.

Contacted the Oppo people and the players does have 7.1 analog outs as well, so it also performs bass management. So if while using the dedicated stereo outs the sub out is also 'hot' then I think my dilemma is solved. Just waiting for a reply.

But I totally agree about bass management, especially with the M22's. They are really good in the mids, but if I turn my sub off there is definitely something lacking.

Sips

powerwindow #264331 06/22/09 05:43 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In the past, most DVD Audio and SACD players lacked bass management. I don't know whether or not the Oppo has bass management ability for multichannel or stereo for that matter.

I suggested the Reckhorn for 2 channel analog bass management. I use it and like it. I used to have an Outlaw ICBM-1 which allowed 5 channel bass management. They are out of production, and are analog-only as I recall, but you may want to check ebay for one of those beauties. (Stereophile used to rate the ICBM as a Class B component - which is for them a very high rating.)

Of course, I suppose you could get 4 Reckhorns, and 4 subwoofers for a wild 7.4 system. OK, time for bed. G'bye.

Enjoy the Music. Trust your ears. Laugh at Folks Who Claim to Know it All.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters