C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Who would want a wife that was fartin' anyways?

I'll take Regina any way I can get her.

Re: Major Change...considering Axiom
grunt #265389 07/05/09 12:28 AM
S
Shaun Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
 Originally Posted By: grunt
First off, very nice room/equipment!

Second, ever consider keeping the speakers and upgrading the WAF? ;\) Can’t find a way to buy her off on this one…second honeymoon…gotta be something.

Thanks...she has been pretty good the last couple of years with my whims and hobbies, and we have a 22 month old that is all over the place, so I am ready (in this house anyways) to go with something a little less intrusive. I will give Axiom a call next week and see what they think.

Originally Posted By: grunt
Seriously, the W22s should be perfect for your situation. The only question is if you like the way Axiom speakers sound and based on other things you’ve said it seems like you will. As you already are aware you’re going to take a big hit in sound quality and imaging by doing this so it might take some getting use to no matter what brand of speakers you buy.

Cheers,
Dean

I think they will work well even though I have not heard Axioms before. I am very familiar with Paradigm, as I had a Monitor 7, CC370, and Mini system before the NAD/VS system. I was shocked when I took my Paradigm Monitor 7's into my AV guys place to listen to them side by side with Monitor Audio and the Vons that I ended up with - not a fair comparison, but the Monitors sounded like a blanket was draped over them. I have listened to quite a few Signature and Reference Series Paradigm speakers, and they (obviously) are a better comparison to what I have now and if the Axioms are similar to those, that should work out well for me. I listened to some in wall Paradigm Reference SA-30's (powered by a Denon receiver) in a room very similar to mine and I was very impressed. (Granted the imaging was not quite as good and the depth was not there, and the mid bass was thinner sounding) but that is if I am being very, very critical...I could easily live with those SA-35's and be quite happy (reason I am not going that route is because they will not fit in my space between the windows and the cutout). I doubt the comparison between the W22's and the Paradigm Reference SA-30's is quite fair, but this is used mostly for movies and tv watching with music in there during parties or when the wife and kid are out of the house...I gonna order some with the 30 day money back guarantee....you can't beat that imo, so we will see what happens

fredk #265390 07/05/09 12:30 AM
S
Shaun Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Beautiful room! How big was that servo?? It dosn't look any bigger than the EP500. Two EP400s would work well in that room and they are considerably smaller.

If you are at all handy, I would seriously look at dean's side table suggestion. If you look through pictures on some of the DIY forums, there are some really nice sub builds out there diguised as real furniture.

THat is the original servo 15 sub...I think it was about 21 deep 17 high and 17 wide give or take. I am not too handy, so building a table or something like that is out of the question I am afraid ;\)

Zimm #265391 07/05/09 12:35 AM
S
Shaun Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
 Originally Posted By: Zimm
I think Dean is on to the best option - WAF. Okay, she don't dig the black monoliths so much. Do you really blame her? Try letting her pick from a plate of custom wood finishes from Axiom. I have been shocked by the quality of the wood finishes Axiom offers. And having grown tired of my black boxes I added a real mahogany veneer, and i can tell you first hand it changes the room dramatically. Give that a shot before you butcher her walls and limit the sound quality with in-wall solutions. That is a lose-lose situation she must be uspet by! I would trade real wood towers for the sub...for now. A compact sub for HT can be added later, but good M80 towers will suffice for 958% of of your hT needs.

Option two - go German and take over Poland! When my wife got tired of the big TV and black boxes, I got tired of never eating in the formal dining room. So, I liberated the hostage HT in the dining room, and everyone was happy. One or two days a year I hear how a formal room would be nice for whatever event, but 7 days a week i think how nice the Man Cave HT is to have. Best move ever, and everyone is happy - Den looks nice with no stereo or TV equipment, and HT looks like an intentional room, not a frat house. Just added the final touch for the look - a projector. Never could have done that in the den.

She is over the box speakers in the family room...no way around it and I really don't blame her, plus my son has almost knocked over one of the VR2's when he was playing .

Option 2 - haha...I like it!! I have no other rooms to use, as we use the formal dining room when people are over and family in town, etc....I will be thinking more ahead when we build our next house...and my dedicated theater will be in a full walk out basement (not too many basements here in Virginia, and a $40k-$50k premium to have one poured and finished was not in the cards 4 years ago for us with our current house ).

Shaun #265393 07/05/09 12:43 AM
C
CV Offline
C
 Originally Posted By: Shaun
I am not too handy, so building a table or something like that is out of the question I am afraid ;\)

I will be thinking more ahead when we build our next house...

Yes, houses are much simpler than tables! Ha ha.

Shaun #265397 07/05/09 12:58 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur

Option 2 - haha...I like it!! I have no other rooms to use

Some people have done fantastic things with their attics, not sure if you have the room or desire.

Quote:

She is over the box speakers in the family room...no way around it and I really don't blame her, plus my son has almost knocked over one of the VR2's when he was playing

Well bolting them down would solve the tipping issue but probably not the WAF. I hope you don’t sell them. At least if their in a nearby closet you could drag them out once and a while for when you need a fix.

Here’s a Hail Mary play. Get the cheapest crappiest sounding on wall speakers you can find and tune them so that voices are worse sounding than the TV’s speakers and ask her if she really wants friends family to have to hear that when the come over. Whether they want to admit it or not women (ok most men too) are big into status.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
grunt #265425 07/05/09 07:04 AM
P
aficionado
aficionado
P
I just broke out one of my W's, they absolutely WILL work upside down. It's hard to explain online, but the speaker will lock either way on the bracket, I just tried it both ways and it works without an issue. The only thing I would be concerned with putting them upside down is the ports facing up and dust getting inside. Take them down once a month and give each port a good blow (insert joke here) and they'd be fine I'm sure.

The W22 body itself is 3 5/8" deep WITH the grill. Maybe add another 1/8" for the thickness of the bracket, but this is the amount the speaker will protrude from the wall. There is about a 3" deep cavity that will go inside the wall. Axiom says you need 1.5" to a stud from the outside of the bracket template in order to be able to mount the speaker. I thought this was for sound issues, but I think it's more because this is how wide the bracket is to clamp the wall. This 1.5" if you measure from the center of the speaker would be more like 3.25"

Last edited by Potatohead; 07/05/09 07:05 AM.
Potatohead #265429 07/05/09 12:20 PM
S
Shaun Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
 Originally Posted By: Potatohead
I just broke out one of my W's, they absolutely WILL work upside down. It's hard to explain online, but the speaker will lock either way on the bracket, I just tried it both ways and it works without an issue. The only thing I would be concerned with putting them upside down is the ports facing up and dust getting inside. Take them down once a month and give each port a good blow (insert joke here) and they'd be fine I'm sure.

The W22 body itself is 3 5/8" deep WITH the grill. Maybe add another 1/8" for the thickness of the bracket, but this is the amount the speaker will protrude from the wall. There is about a 3" deep cavity that will go inside the wall. Axiom says you need 1.5" to a stud from the outside of the bracket template in order to be able to mount the speaker. I thought this was for sound issues, but I think it's more because this is how wide the bracket is to clamp the wall. This 1.5" if you measure from the center of the speaker would be more like 3.25"

Thanks Potatoehead...that is exactly what I was looking for!

Shaun #265439 07/05/09 04:28 PM
Another possibility would be to use W150s for fronts instead of W22s. I'm not sure how they would compare, but the possibility exists. Definitely ask Axiom about this option.

As for the Paradigm Monitors, if they were the original 7s, any Axioms will blow them out of the water, except in the bass department. There, you'd need a tower model. PMBuko, one of the members around here (and my former roommate), got Monitor 9s after I moved out. A couple of years later, GAF (maybe FAF at that point?) convinced him to get bookshelves, and he bought M22s, sound unheard. Blew him out of the water. I thought it was a bunch of snake oil, having seen Axiom's ads in various places online. Until I heard them. Wow. I've been a big fan of Axiom since then.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #265478 07/06/09 02:57 AM
S
Shaun Offline OP
enthusiast
OP Offline
enthusiast
S
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Another possibility would be to use W150s for fronts instead of W22s. I'm not sure how they would compare, but the possibility exists. Definitely ask Axiom about this option.

As for the Paradigm Monitors, if they were the original 7s, any Axioms will blow them out of the water, except in the bass department. There, you'd need a tower model. PMBuko, one of the members around here (and my former roommate), got Monitor 9s after I moved out. A couple of years later, GAF (maybe FAF at that point?) convinced him to get bookshelves, and he bought M22s, sound unheard. Blew him out of the water. I thought it was a bunch of snake oil, having seen Axiom's ads in various places online. Until I heard them. Wow. I've been a big fan of Axiom since then.

hmm...good call on the w150's..I will have to see if they will fit in my space and talk to axiom about that option.

I had the V2 Monitor 7's - I liked them and for the money, they were pretty good..it was just not fair when I blind listened to them back to back to back with Monitor Audio Silver and Gold series, and the Vons that I ended up with - the Monitor 7's were, as you said above, "blown out of the water", so if the same holds true comparing that sound to the Axiom, then that is great news! :). As soon as I make some exploratory holes in the wall with a drill bit and coat hanger, I am gonna get some ordered...I will just convince the wife that the Vons will sell sooner or later (as I do not need to keep them...I tend to sell something when I am done with it and buy something else...otherwise the wife would likely not be real thrilled with any of my hobbies! )

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kodiak), 532 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup