I have a question about the QS8: I recently purchased a used Fosgate Audionics DSL Two Surround Processor. Even though it was manufactured in 1991, the Instruction and Operation Manual recommends the installation of Left and Right Back Surround Speakers and optional Left and Right Side Wall Speakers, the same as a 7.1 setup.

The DSL Two has Eight Operating Parameters: five surround modes for music, two modes for movies, including Dolby Prologic. It also features "Split Band Processing" where bass frequencies are processed independantly of the high audio frequency range, in a similar manner to bi-amplification. It has ten preamp outputs: stereo and mono subwoofer, center, "side channel outputs" as well as left/right front and surround channels. The DSL TWO simply outperforms Dolby Prologic II for Movies and Music in clarity and channel separation for all channels, both front and rear.

Now to my question: The frequency response of the surround channels varies from 5Hz-25kHz, 5Hz-7kHZ or 10Hz - 3kHz +.5/3-db depending on the surround mode selected. The DSL Two offers no bass management. I have it installed using the 7.1 Preamp Input on my receiver which bypasses the receivers bass manamgement. The Outlaw ICBM is not an option because the rear center preamp input on the ICBM is mono. The DSL Two has a surround mode which splits the rear soundstage in two, or stereo which the ICMB would not support. Can the QS8 handle a full range signal? I installed the DSL Two using bookshelf speakers. It really cranks out the bass in the rear surrounds.

From I read in a recent article, the DSL Two may be the same as the new DPL IIx, except with more surround modes and features. If this is true, the DSL Two was a bargain at $150 (retail was $1299).