Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Software media client - help appreciated!
tomtuttle #266383 07/17/09 05:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Asking what may be a dumb question, since I'm re-ripping some music into ALAC. I'm a bit 'stuck' w/ the convenience of iTunes so I can't use FLAC. Whenever I get the chance to Rockbox an old iPod, I may go FLAC.

If you are streaming, will you really tell the sound quality difference with FLAC vs AAC/good MP3/ALAC?

oldskoolboarder #266389 07/17/09 06:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Good question.

I am constantly thinking that the somewhat compressed streaming from my PC to the PS3 to M60s sounds inferior compared to a PS3 played CD or even when when I stream from same PC (but pure digital) to my Squeezebox and my upstairs M60s. This leads me to believe that there is indeed something different between the streaming of MP3s (or flacs using Tversity) to the PS3 vs. a more direct means.

All that being said, I've never been able to do a proper comparison but that is what my brain tells me and it's hard to shake. Although I use it all the time, I never stream from my PC for a serious demo of my speakers, even if it is probably just paranoia. I will use the Squeezebox for a demo though. Mental or not, it just seems better. Admittedly the room is acoustically better sounding than my small, square PS3 room.

When I stream via Internet to my laptop, wherever it might be, I'm just running cheap earphones and don't expect much anyways. It actually sounds not bad when your not expecting high end quality and cheap head phones are often more forgiving to compression than better systems.

Last edited by Murph; 07/17/09 06:59 PM. Reason: detail

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
oldskoolboarder #266390 07/17/09 06:51 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
I wouldn't expect there would be a dif between FLAC and Apple Lossless (I assume that's ALAC?). By definition, they're both lossless. Didn't we have this discussion in another thread?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #266443 07/18/09 05:51 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I wouldn't expect there would be a dif between FLAC and Apple Lossless (I assume that's ALAC?). By definition, they're both lossless. Didn't we have this discussion in another thread?

There probably was a discussion but I think I stayed away from that one. I've been re-ripping to ALAC because I've got back into head-fi and I have a few headphone amps I'm testing out to see which one I'll keep. I'm using Grado 325i's, waiting for a limited edition Grado to be shipped.

I'm w/ you, not sure if I would be able to tell the difference between FLAC and ALAC. But I can guarantee you, there are folks on head-fi.org that'll claim that they can. Maybe they can, maybe they can't. Who knows. I know that I can't. I tried to A/B a 320 Kbps MP3 and the same song ripped to FLAC. Could I tell the difference? I 'think' I could but it was so minor that if I wasn't paying attention, I probably wouldn't notice. But my iPhone notices, because the files are sometimes 3x the size.

oldskoolboarder #266444 07/18/09 05:55 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Murph
Does TVersity transcode on the fly or does it stream the native format? That might be an explanation.

I use a video client streamer for my Tivo called pytivo that allows me to play vids from my Mac on my Tivo. It transcodes on the fly. Wonder if TVersity does the same.

oldskoolboarder #266614 07/20/09 04:43 PM
axiomite
axiomite
TVersity figures out what your end device can handle then transcodes only when required. There are options to make it do it all the time, automatic, or never. Of course, never means you are limited to the end device's limits. I've never gone back to play with it much.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters