Page 1 of 2 1 2
Anybody here use a T-amp?
#267100 07/25/09 01:47 AM
J
jupson Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Hello everyone!

I’m interested in getting some of this Axiom goodness at some point, but I’m concerned that my little T-amp won’t be sufficient enough to drive any of the speakers in the Axiom line. Does anyone here have experience using a T-amp paired with Axiom speakers? My T-amp only puts out about 6 watts per channel without distortion. I’m sure there are some tube audio aficionados around here who could shed some light on Axiom performance with low wattage amps. \:\)

Right now I’m using some vintage Technics speakers that are rated at 92 db SPL (Not sure if that’s accurate, but they do play louder than a pair of pioneer speakers rated at 89 db that we have in the house.) I’m using them in a fairly small room (12 x 10) and I will probably be under similar conditions in my college dorm room this fall. I would like to know how the M2 and the M3 perform specifically because of their compactness.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Re: Anybody here use a T-amp?
jupson #267105 07/25/09 02:19 AM
shareholder in the making
The T-amp has enough oomph to drive all but the M80s to moderate listening levels. Since your current room is small, and your college room will likely be small, as well, the T-amp will suffice. I listened to my M22s powered by a T-amp and it sounded fine, but it didn't play loudly enough for my tastes. My room at the time as about 12'x13'.

pmbuko #267171 07/26/09 02:31 AM
J
jupson Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Thanks for the input!

Well, knowing that the M22s are the most efficient in my price range and I assume they only play as loudly as the Pioneer speakers, I'm afraid I'll have to pass on the Axioms 'till another day.

My Technics speakers play with very good headroom left over on the T-amp and I guess you could say that I've been spoiled by that. The only other alternative I can think of is Klipsch. This is a shame, cause Axiom has much nicer looking cabinets!

Unless anyone else has more light to shed on Axiom loudspeakers with T-amps, I'm going to check out Klipsch. Or perhaps I should take advantage of that in home trial?

Last edited by jupson; 07/26/09 02:34 AM.
jupson #267174 07/26/09 02:59 AM
Jup, welcome. Assuming that the sensitivity rating on the Pioneers is accurate(not really a safe assumption), then yes, you could expect similar loudness levels from the Axiom bookshelves with the T-amp. My estimate, using a 7-8' listening distance, is that the M22s would output about a clean 93-94dB, which may or may not be enough for peak levels(more than about 80dB isn't advisable for an average listening level if permanent hearing loss is to be avoided)in your use. Only trying will give you the answer in your particular case, so yes, for little expense you should consider at least a home trial of the Axioms.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #267175 07/26/09 03:17 AM
Agreed. The Axioms are in a class above Klipsch (and almost certainly the Technics, as well) and you'd be foolish not to at least give them a listen. Where do you live, jupson? There may be an Axiom owner nearby willing to host an audition for you.

pmbuko #267180 07/26/09 03:58 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have one. In the bedroom driving a pair of M22's, full-range, from an iPod dock. It works really well from low to medium volume levels. Up to about the point where the sound interferes with normal conversation. The M22's are clean and clear, with lovely highs and surprisingly strong bass. They sound really good, actually. I've been quite happy with the setup for a year or so now. It's perfect for music at a volume level for just chilling out in the bedroom, or for putting on some ambient stuff for taking a nap, or ... whatever.

But that's as loud as it gets, and when it hits the limit, there's nothing left. Cranking the volume up past that point results in, well, nothing. They'll go a bit louder with music that has little bass - up to the point of decently jammin'. But as soon as any bass hits, the volume just disappears. Obviously at its limit and not good for the speakers nor amp, so I don't toy with that.

I'd be a little hesitant trying to use one to run any of the floor-standing speakers, as I just can't imagine that you'd get a lot of volume out of them. But the bookshelves, go for it. Unless your intent is to rock out the whole dorm. In that case, I doubt you'd be happy. Buy a better amp if that's what you want to do. ;\)

I would say, order yourself a pair of M3's and give it a shot. If they don't work out, return them. Axiom will stand behind their return policy. You'll be out the return shipping, but it shouldn't be more than $30-$40 (I think). Feel confident in ordering from the outlet too - you'll save a little cash and it's likely you won't be able to tell why they were outlet speakers. \:\)

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #267186 07/26/09 06:14 AM
I've said it before, I'll say it again. If your consideration on buying speakers is whether they'll work right with your amp (especially with such an inexpensive amp), you're doing it wrong. Speakers are going to make a much, much bigger difference than an amp, and to drop down a level or two in speaker quality because you believe they won't work right with your amp is a mistake.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #267192 07/26/09 11:14 AM
J
jupson Offline OP
OP Offline
J
Wow. You guys know how to help a guy out! I will definitely order either the M3 or the M22 as soon as I'm moved in this fall.

The main reason I'm concerned about sensitivity is because I listen to a lot of music with a massive dynamic range. Orchestral and opera are few examples of this and I noticed that on some speakers paired with the T-amp, you simply could not hear the opening passages of some of my music. However, it would indeed be foolish of me to not try the axioms, at least.

Thanks for all the help, everyone!

jupson #267221 07/26/09 10:25 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

If it were me, I would opt for the M3s and put the savings (difference between M3s and M22s) into a entry level receiver.

No disrespect intended but those little toy amps are the easiest way to damage the speaker there is. You don't want to under power them.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Ken.C #267575 07/30/09 03:34 PM
S
S
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
I've said it before, I'll say it again. If your consideration on buying speakers is whether they'll work right with your amp (especially with such an inexpensive amp), you're doing it wrong. Speakers are going to make a much, much bigger difference than an amp, and to drop down a level or two in speaker quality because you believe they won't work right with your amp is a mistake.

You have not heard the T-Amp. Reserve judgment until you do. The performance is in no way shape or form in line with the price. You owe it to your self to look into them.

It compares well to 3000 dollar speakers within its limitations. It needs a good power supply (5 amp switching preferred) or it will be short of bass.
http://www.6moons.com/audioreviews/sonicimpact/t_3.html

They have no problem powering my Av123 0.5 or x speakers to absurd sound levels in a smaller room and my understanding is that most of the Axioms are more efficient.

Some of the new amps with the tripath chips are even better with far more power they would be a better match for more power hungry speakers within reason.

Last edited by Smoken Joe; 07/30/09 03:35 PM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters