Print Thread
Rate Thread
John Hughes RIP....
#268461 08/07/09 12:15 AM
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
John Hughes dead at 59.

I've been waiting 15 years for someone to come out with a soundtrack disc from John Hughes movies..... I had decided I was going to make my own, but haven't whittled the list yet...

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Re: John Hughes RIP....
MarkSJohnson #268485 08/07/09 02:45 AM
chick, chickachikaaahhhh.

Sad. \:\(

pmbuko #268518 08/07/09 01:48 PM
M
aficionado
aficionado
M
Very sad news indeed. \:\(

M80's(2), VP150, QS8's(2), M3's(4)
merchman #268534 08/07/09 04:03 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I really enjoyed his films. He seems to be known mostly for the Brat Pack movies, Ferris Bueller and Home Alone - which were great accomplishments in making adolescents both real and entertaining (no mean feat). Personally, I think that Planes, Trains and Automobiles and the Vacation movies will be lasting treasures, too. He was amazingly prolific and successful during the 1980's.

I shall revert to my Uncle Buck avatar to honor his work and life.

His passing gave me pause on the topic of creativity related to age. While Hughes continued to work steadily over the last ~20 years, that work was mostly Home Alone and Beethoven sequels, and he did not experience the sort of commercial or critical success as when he was in his 30's. I have often reflected that many/most musicians seem to be more productive artistically at a relatively young age.

Am I oversimplifying, or does it seem that most artistic greatness is achieved by the time the artist is about 30 years old? And if so, what does that say about the importance of art education for our young people?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #268552 08/07/09 05:19 PM
OP Offline
Funny enough, I'll always be thinking more of Sixteen Candles, Pretty in Pink and Some Kind of Wonderful.... movies that just bring me right back to my high school years...

tomtuttle #268627 08/08/09 04:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle
I really enjoyed his films. He seems to be known mostly for the Brat Pack movies, Ferris Bueller and Home Alone - which were great accomplishments in making adolescents both real and entertaining (no mean feat). Personally, I think that Planes, Trains and Automobiles and the Vacation movies will be lasting treasures, too. He was amazingly prolific and successful during the 1980's.

I shall revert to my Uncle Buck avatar to honor his work and life.

His passing gave me pause on the topic of creativity related to age. While Hughes continued to work steadily over the last ~20 years, that work was mostly Home Alone and Beethoven sequels, and he did not experience the sort of commercial or critical success as when he was in his 30's. I have often reflected that many/most musicians seem to be more productive artistically at a relatively young age.

Am I oversimplifying, or does it seem that most artistic greatness is achieved by the time the artist is about 30 years old? And if so, what does that say about the importance of art education for our young people?

Tom, you bring up a very good point. This is something I've often pondered. It seems like a lot of artists or creators have a burst of creative inspiration for a time and then things start tapering off.

You've made me start thinking about this and I'm not sure what the answer is, or if there even is an answer. Maybe artists go through a period where they successfully deal with and or/answer all the issues/questions that burn within him or her and then continue on enjoying the art of the craft rather than just using it as a vehicle to create a powerful or connecting statement?

"Nothin' up my sleeve. . ." --Bullwinkle J. Moose
St_PatGuy #268639 08/08/09 07:58 PM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
I guess we'd have to let each artist answer that for himself/herself, but it seems like a valid theory. William Goldman, one of my favorite writers, talked about having a fire inside him, how he had to work out his demons. It just came out onto the page. Then it stopped coming out, and I assume it's as you said. At some point you've said what you've wanted to say, and then it's rehashing themes or technique. It has to be hard to keep discovering fresh expression inside yourself.

Of course, there are the artists like this, who know what they want to express and burn intensely and perhaps briefly. Then there are others who hone their craft over their lifetime, and everything clicks for them later. I keep hoping I'm in the second category, or else I'm in trouble. \:\)

CV #268649 08/08/09 09:13 PM
OP Offline
I think most people have declining passions as they age. Not interests... but passions. For love, sex, money, answers to all the big questions.

As you get older, you settle a bit more. Relax. Maybe even become a bit complacent. The fire smolders but doesn't burn as hot. Not all the time, or with all things, or with all people. But maybe as a general trend.

And I think those passions are what fuels the drives and the creativity. Therefore, though I've never given it too much thought, I think I'd agree that creativity comes easier to those who are younger.

With me, I consider my work more craft than art... and some of that "spark" might have lessened in that I've solved many shooting situations already. Been there, done that, know what worked to do it again next time.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (BBIBH), 580 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup