Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Re: EP500 Settings
th3at3rguy #268749 08/09/09 08:13 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Of course it is "all the time for everything". That's how the volume knob on the subwoofer works. Once you've calibrated it using test tones, that's where you leave it, all the time for all material.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
Adrian #268751 08/09/09 08:22 PM
veteran
veteran
Is it under warrenty? I think so I bought it from axiom about 4 months ago. Another thing the Sherwood has 2 sub modes, Normal and sub plus mode. It has always been in sub plus mode because the sub doesnt work at all in normal mode. I thought I just had the settings wrong or something but it didnt work in normal with the Ep175 either. But the fact he also has to turn his EP500 way up to... I dont know it still sounds good just not a lot of bass. Also JC said to turn that filter on only when listening to music not movies.

Last edited by th3at3rguy; 08/09/09 08:27 PM.
th3at3rguy #268759 08/09/09 09:49 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Is there a trial period with the trade up program? It might be you just don't like how the sub sounds (performs). Maybe try a different brand of sub, say Hsu or SVS.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #268760 08/09/09 09:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The two sub modes probably deal with when setting the speakers to large or small. I don't own a sherwood put I guess the sub plus is for when you set your front speakers to large and sub norm is for when you set your front speakers to small...so try setting all your speakers to small in the receiver with a crossover of 80 using sub normal mode.

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
th3at3rguy #268776 08/10/09 01:59 AM
shareholder in the making
Guy, this is yet another indication that there's something wrong with your settings. You say that the sub wouldn't work unless you used the "Plus" setting, but as long as the speakers are set "Small" or on receivers such as the 772 which don't use the "Large/Small" terminology, as long as a crossover frequency rather than "Full Range" is set for the speakers, the sub gets the bass below the crossover frequency set and has to work.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

th3at3rguy #268791 08/10/09 05:09 AM
E
Escaron Offline OP
hobbyist
OP Offline
hobbyist
E
 Originally Posted By: th3at3rguy
I emailed JC at axiom about this (I have a new EP500 also) and he did infact say they lowered the gain control making 12 0 clock possible. And he said to turn that filter on only when listening to music not for movies. But I have mine past 12 0 clock ALL THE TIME for everything. I can even put it at full volume and it isnt really all that loud. I was thinking it was my sherwood R772 but now it just the way the sub is. The thing is when I try to increase my bass with the channel level it doesnt get louder it gets kind of distorted which I didnt think was possible. Do you have the Denon 3808 that is the amp I am thinking of getting but if it isnt going to make a differance than I wont. Still it sounds good I have the Epic grandmaster 500 just not a ton of bass.

Yes, the receiver I'm using is the Denon 3808 and I like it a lot. It's one of the receivers that I see people recommend all the time for Axiom speakers and it also has a lot of useful features. In case you're wondering, the channel level goes up to +12db on the 3808. This might make a difference in your case; however, I'm not sure if changing the receiver would change how your subwoofer behaves but I suppose if you think something is the matter with your Sherwood you could always buy a receiver from a store nearby that has a good return policy and see if you get similar/different results. As far as other sub settings on the 3808 there is one that sounds similar to your Sherwoods Plus settings and its called Subwoofer Level (separate from the channel level), you can choose between 0db, +5db, +10db and +15db. The manual recommends to always set it at +15db which is what I have it at.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by distorted bass, like I said previously, I try not to set the channel level too high in the receiver settings but from what I've read it shouldn't matter where you increase the volume, at the sub or at the receiver. I can try playing around with my settings to see if increasing channel level and decreasing volume on the sub will give me distorted bass however I'm not sure what it's meant to sound like. I personally think the bass sounds very tight and defined with the way my system is set now. I would probably agree with you and say that it isn't crazy loud or anything but it's loud enough for me and I'm really appreciating the quality over the power. I'm not exactly cranking my system either. I'm sure if I played the whole system louder the sub would be able to keep up. It's hard to say because one thing I've realized is how incredibly subjective listening is and what for me might be totally adequate bass is not enough for other people who are used to their own systems for w/e reason. Like other people have said, as long as all the channels are calibrated to play at the same db level there's not much more you can do.

th3at3rguy #268831 08/10/09 07:06 PM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
 Originally Posted By: th3at3rguy
Is it under warrenty? I think so I bought it from axiom about 4 months ago. Another thing the Sherwood has 2 sub modes, Normal and sub plus mode. It has always been in sub plus mode because the sub doesnt work at all in normal mode. I thought I just had the settings wrong or something but it didnt work in normal with the Ep175 either. But the fact he also has to turn his EP500 way up to... I dont know it still sounds good just not a lot of bass. Also JC said to turn that filter on only when listening to music not movies.

Odd. Reading the "poorly written" manual, SW Plus+ mode means you're using for L/R speakers for bass in addition to the sub. This is often called double bass and may not be desired. It's another topic of hot debate (whether to use your mains for lower frequencies or let your sub handle it)

Normal means that LFE is sent to Sub and if you set the cross over in the speakers, anything that meets the criteria will also get sent to the sub.

So Normal is what you should be using (in conjunction with crossovers set at the speaker level)

Something is beginning to smell fishy with your AVR.

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
Hansang #268838 08/10/09 08:01 PM
If that setting is sending bass to the mains, and he's not seeing the driver moving, I wonder if the sub is getting ANY signal in stereo?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #268840 08/10/09 08:16 PM
veteran
veteran
I have used both settings and its strange I have found when using my oppo player and the AV sub set to normal the EP500 does not work at all and I have to use the sub plus mode. But when watching TV the normal setting does work. So I thought it must be the oppo but I went over the settings many many times. But then I relized even though the normal settings work watching TV it still is lacking bass here too. Plus the stand bye mode quit working completely on the A/V. I am starting to think its the amp and not the sub at all. And its not as though the driver isnt moving its BARELY moving. But then again sometimes it seems to work fine like there is a short with the A/V (sometimes the bass seems to work fine). Once I try a diff A/V I will know for sure. Looks like I am going to try and call the pros again to come over with a demo A/V (so far I cant get them to return my freekin calls)

Last edited by th3at3rguy; 08/10/09 08:18 PM.
th3at3rguy #268879 08/11/09 03:59 AM
H
aficionado
aficionado
H
Is there a factory reset button? Have you tried the auto-setup function?

--
Denon 4520, EPIC80/500/VP180 Speakers
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082