Rate Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Ouch, I might need to change my avatar
#269005 08/12/09 04:43 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Last trail run I was on two weekends ago I was climbing up a rockface and was so vertical that I could see nothing but sky so I was relying heavily on my spotter. I'm not sure who was to blame, his spotting or my driving but I ended up sliding off of a rock ledge that spun me a bit sideways, wedging one of my rear tires into a crevice.

My front tires didn't have much traction and all the power in my rear end was going to the tire not stuck in the wedge. So I turned on my lockers (forces equal power to both left and right wheels) and bang, I was unstuck. Only problem is the word "bang", which I actually heard. Never a good sound to come from your rear end. (Could I feed you a better opening for a joke...)

Everything continued to work fine and I made my way back up the dried up waterfall that almost did me in. After finishing the trail and before we drove back to our after-trail BBQ location, I checked the diff fluid cap for any signs of metal shards stuck to the magnet. Seemed clean as ever so I left it.

This weekend, after a week of driving without noise or issue, paranoia made me decide I better open up the diff cover and look inside. I couldn't see much as when you have an air actuated locker, much of the 'gearing' is inside a metal cylindar instead of out in the open but I could see metal hamburger everywhere. Looked like it was from a thin, flat ring of some kind but must have come from inside the locker enclosure.

So, never having dealt with the inner workings of a locked rear end before, I took it to my trusty mechanic. I just got word back that he couldn't see much more than I could without further breaking it down but already he guessed the worst and because the Chrystler doesn't sell individual parts, (Rubicons come with factory lockers, believe it or not.) I have to get the entire enclosure.

Short story, I'm looking at 2-3 grand to get repaired and since Rubicon's are less common and finding used parts for it are like hunting for pearls, my normal network of fellow Jeepers doesn't look good for spares. A written off Rubicon has it's front and rear ends practically pulled off before the wrecker can get it in the yard.

On the positive side, I have been using this as a daily driver and a trail rig since I bought it in 2003 and this is the first major repair I have had to do to it. I honestly can't complain as very few can say the same. Still hurts though.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: Ouch, I might need to change my avatar
Murph #269012 08/12/09 05:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ouch indeed! My brother just went through a series of repairs on his car just cause its getting old. Repair bills can be very painful.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #269027 08/12/09 07:21 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Wow... I've never heard of anyone blowing a locker on a Rubicon. Normally people lock the diffs, crank the wheel, step on the gas and blow a front U-joint, and from that point on they go easy on the drivetrain ;\)

It seems hard to believe that Chrysler doesn't sell parts for the diff internals. Last time I was going through the parts catalog I'm pretty sure that both front and rear diffs were exploded with part numbers for each of the individual pieces.

In case it helps : http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showthread.php?p=10138785

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/...ear_pinion.html

I have spares for a lot of the breakables on my Rubi (2003) but no diff parts unfortunately, or I could send you mine.
Good luck with repairs.

Last edited by bridgman; 08/12/09 07:23 PM.

M60ti, VP180, QS8, M2ti, EP500, PC-Plus 20-39
M5HP, M40ti, Sierra-1
LFR1100 active, ADA1500-4 and -8
bridgman #269030 08/12/09 07:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Aren't there any aftermarket diffs you could substitute? I'm not into the off roading scene myself, the closest is picking up an off road mag at "Chapters" and flipping through it, but that would seem like something one of these aftermarket suppliers(like in California) would provide for off roaders, wouldn't it?

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #269032 08/12/09 07:33 PM
shareholder in the making
Dude, don't you have a bicycle now anyways?

::running, ducking, as Jeep parts fly in my general direction::

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #269033 08/12/09 07:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Yeah, he bought one to "go green" but your last comment made him go "red"....

::duck!! a Hypoid gear::

Adrian #269142 08/13/09 05:14 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks all,

Ya, so far the rear ends have proven bulletproof and I have replaced many, many universal joints that generally are the weak link. Which is good, as they are dirt cheap.

:Edit: I'd like to add, I am actually pretty kind to my lockers. I know when and how they should be used and because I enjoy the challenge of using and improving my driving skill, I do my best not to resort to use them except when absolutely needed and I never turn the front on in situations where I have to utilize steering as it wont steer worth crap when it's on anyways. :EndEdit:

I'll take a peek at the links. I wouldn't put it past the dealer to just be lazy and say they can't order individual parts. I trust my mechanic completely but this particular dealer, not so much.

As for other options, yes there are lots of lockers that would fit in my Dana 44. However, I would then end up with two different methods of engaging the front and rear lockers instead of one simple button. (press once for rear, press again for front on/off. lift to turn all off.)

Last edited by Murph; 08/13/09 05:24 PM. Reason: dont want to look like a wingnut....heh heh

Murph #269161 08/13/09 07:29 PM
Since we're talking about gears and such, I thought I'd link to the best "how a differential works" explanation I've seen. Happens to be a video from the 30s:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4JhruinbWc#t=2m23s&feature=related

pmbuko #269167 08/13/09 07:38 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Very cool. I remember staring at a picture of an open differntial, trying to figure out how the spider gears worked to allow one side to get power and not the other, then magically switch to the other side as needed.

Once the lightbulb goes on it's forever simple but I did stare a while.

Murph #269172 08/13/09 07:52 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Brilliant idea whoever came up with it.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters