C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
Does anyone here have experience with making their own frames for photos and posters? I think I asked a long time ago, but I never actually did anything. I plan on putting together a wall collage like shown here featuring various musicians I listen to, and it would save me a lot of money to make the frames myself. I've seen Logan come up in searching, and I was wondering if you think their Frame Shop In A Box is a good way to go. Otherwise, what are your suggestions? Thanks for any advice you have.

Re: Photo/poster framing and picture collages
CV #269524 08/17/09 02:15 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Charles, it depends on how much you want to spend, really. I've never heard of the Frame Shop In a Box, but just reading the description of it makes me skeptical and even at what, 32% off it's still $340 US!!? That kind of jing will get you a nice little mitre saw and enough trim from your local Home Depot to make hundreds of frames, or if you want to go even cheaper, just get a back saw and mitre box. The only thing you'll have to do is reinforce the corners of your frame with a small piece of 1/8" luan ply on the backside after your pictures are mounted. If you start looking at biscut/plate joiners or corner routing to join the corners, you're running into some $$$. A cheap biscuit joiner is perhaps around $50, a decent one will cost $200+.

Anyway, I'd have a look in one of the box stores, they've got tons of profiles in the lumber section that you might consider making frames out of. Hey, maybe you can borrow a mitre saw from someone.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #269528 08/17/09 02:38 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'll have to see what my dad has. Thanks for your input. I'm just not handy at all and thought it might be good to get a kit that has all of the steps laid out, with tools for every step.

What about matting? Does anyone have experience with tools for that?

CV #269530 08/17/09 02:42 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I remember a local framing store that sold all kinds of that sort of thing. Check your local business directory for framing stores...they carry all kinds of matting and materials, most of the matting is only cardboard or bristol board anyway, isn't it?

Adrian #269568 08/17/09 10:28 AM
I dunno, Charles.

I think what I would really be thinking about is keeping all of the purchased photos as standard sizes....5x7, 8x10, 11x14, etc... (Maybe throw 8x12 in there as well). Then you can pick up frames and mats locally (either a nice art supply store, framing shop or even Target) and not have to worry about framing and matting yourself.

I've cut my own mats, though not often at all, and have never bothered with a picture frame though I have all the needed tools in the shop.

Unless you decide that you want all the frames to have the same profile and finish and the same color mat:

- By time you find the right molding and a source for purchasing

- you get the equipment to make EXACT 45° corners

- you deal with staining, painting, or other methods of finishing the frames

- you buy sheets of mat board in various colors

- you buy a mat cutter (even a handheld one)

- you deal with wire, mounting hooks, framing points, etc......

You'd be better off just buying the finished mats and frames.

Don't forget: Every miter cut for the frames has to be exactly 45° (or you'll go through expensive molding really quick trying to get it right), and every other step has to be just right or it goes into the trash: a mis-cut mat, staining on the frame done less than perfectly, etc....

My opinion is that it won't be worth it. There's a reason most homeowners don't make their own frames.... \:\)

And just think..... the money you save by not having to buy all this stock could be used to buy the entire Buffy series!

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #269571 08/17/09 11:00 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I don't know. There are already images I'm going to use that aren't going to be a standard size, and I already have plenty of posters I've wanted to frame for a while that aren't going to be a standard size, either. I think I'm either stuck spending a lot on custom framing or learning to do it myself in some fashion. Maybe there's a cheaper, easier way than working with wood.

CV #269573 08/17/09 01:01 PM
Have you considered using mats to "bring you up" to standard frame sizes?

It might be a good compromise to, say, round up that 16x21 poster to 20x24 for example.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #269574 08/17/09 01:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
You should also hit the neighbourhood garage sales, picture/mirror frames seem to be a pretty common item and you'll get them for a song(and dance?). As Mark said, you can use the mat to bring the size up to the frame size.

You could also check out your local Habitat for Humanity or Salvation Army for such items too. I checked one of our H for H's a couple of months ago, they had all kinds of frames, hardwood(flooring), cabinets ect....definately worth a look.

Last edited by Adrian; 08/17/09 01:11 PM.

Adrian #269575 08/17/09 01:14 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
The only thing I'd be concerned with is trying to make the collage work visually with too many different kinds of frames. I'm thinking the color and style of the frames should be the same (or at least style, but I'd need to control which parts of the collage had which color). On the other hand, it will be hard to make it work if too many of them are the same size. I think it will look more organic to have a lot of different sizes somehow fitting together.

CV #269576 08/17/09 01:23 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That's something you'd have to think about, for sure, but remember you can always paint or stain the frames the same or similar colour. Personally, I think different types of frames would add some interest to the collage, but that's entirely up to you, of course.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters