Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 10 of 33 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 32 33
Re: Skiing Ninja. Anyone heard of this
Micah #269864 08/19/09 11:53 PM
hobbyist
hobbyist
Hello!

Very interesting read this thread. Good pics from SS too.

I have some questions for you SS. As I understand it you are a very experienced audio guy so I thought I would just check some things with you about your test with the M80s.

I own the M22 and Im very happy with them. But, I recently moved and noticed a big degradation in sound when I had set up my system in the new room. Especially the "brightness" and "harshness" that people talk about became a big problem when playing loud, when it before the move was just detailed airy highs.
Both old and new room have concrete walls and ceiling. But the new room has bigger flat surfaces and a hardwood floor.
Did some exstensive reading about room acoustics as I understood that it was the cause of this.
I now have tried to fix things a little by adding carpets, curtains and so on, but nothing professional like absorbers.
The sound now is as good as in the old room, eventhough its not the "same" sound because of the new room beeing a little bigger and different layout.
Im sure you know about these kind of things, and how different sound can be in different rooms.

The thing that caught my attention is that your uncles room almost looks like a worst case scenario with wood floor and ceiling, and those big windows (although very beautiful).
Perhaps a good investment for improving sound would be some absorbing panels or something else that would damper some reflections?

All the best!

/Martin

Arcam AVR600
Cambridge Audio 640C v2
Oppo DV-980H
PMC GB1i
PMC DB1M-Ci
QS8 v2
EP350 v3
SolidState #269866 08/20/09 12:45 AM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: SolidState
I have no intent to change them in any way. I just wanted to get a look at them to make a schematic. I do intend to use a proto board though using the exact same schematic just with couple better inductors foil for bass and core for mid/tweet. For caps I just happen to have a bag of Epcos B25839 MKV caps. Very sought after caps and about the best sonically EVER MADE and are EOL \:\(

Solid-State

What does uncle phil think of them , cause ultimately thats whats important.If you feel the above changes to the crossover will improve the way they sound to you and you like the result thats what is important. I will say i have noticed a deffinite change in the tone of this thread for the better and i for once appreciate it.

Oh yeah and thanks for the pics ,now i want that cherry veneer \:\)

peace

Last edited by Socketman; 08/20/09 12:48 AM.

DOG is GOD spelled backwards.
What others think of me is none of my business.
M80 V3 MY GLOSS Cherry
Hashpipe #269867 08/20/09 12:53 AM
veteran
veteran
100% on the money... This room is a god awful situation. It did have this stained ugly white carpet I removed between pictures as you guys can see from the first set of photos. The reason that ugly thing was still there was for acoustics. I'll take pictures of the back of the room to give you guys an idea of what I'm dealing with. The back wall really needs some acoustic treatment. Wall rugs is what he really needs to implement.

SolidState #269868 08/20/09 12:55 AM
veteran
veteran
I'd also really like to kill this thread as it's somewhat negative towards Axiom with that a$$hole skiing ninja article post opening the thread. Skiiing ninja is also a scammer. His prices are WAY out to lunch. This really proves he's a scammer but hey so are a lot of so called "highend" audio companies out there with 500 buck power cords etc.

Solid-State

Last edited by SolidState; 08/20/09 12:59 AM.
Ajax #269870 08/20/09 01:16 AM
veteran
veteran
Yeah it's not bad for not being waterfront. I'll post some pictures of some of my jobs on Salt Spring Island. You wouldn't believe some of the places I get to work at guys... Multi million dollar summer homes for the rich with views that will take your breath away.

Solid-State

SolidState #269871 08/20/09 01:22 AM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Skiing Ninja falls in to the same category as those operations that want to provide "so-called" upgrades to existing electronics i.e. media players such as Blu-Ray and DVD players. They allegedly will provide "better" internal electronics for superior audio and video quality. Believe it or not, I read on another forum recently where some guy was interested in "upgrading" his Oppo BDP83 for only an additional $800(the player is $499) and this is on a unit with one of the top video processing sections on the market and an analog section that several reviewers are calling it on par with players 10 times the price!

The only thing these "improvements" give you is a canceled warranty!

SolidState #269873 08/20/09 01:51 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Salt Spring Island? went past it on the way to Victoria a few weeks ago. There are a lot of $$ houses all through the islands and on the coast there, you can see alot of them from the ferry when it snakes through the islands. BC real estate is ridiculous though, I don't know how the younger generation affords it there.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
casey01 #269878 08/20/09 02:46 AM
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: casey01
Skiing Ninja falls in to the same category as those operations that want to provide "so-called" upgrades to existing electronics i.e. media players such as Blu-Ray and DVD players. They allegedly will provide "better" internal electronics for superior audio and video quality. Believe it or not, I read on another forum recently where some guy was interested in "upgrading" his Oppo BDP83 for only an additional $800(the player is $499) and this is on a unit with one of the top video processing sections on the market and an analog section that several reviewers are calling it on par with players 10 times the price!

The only thing these "improvements" give you is a canceled warranty!

Well one thing for sure, the prices they are asking are totally out to lunch. I wouldn't go as far as say it makes no difference though. If you understand electronics and how it all works you'd know that replacing the rectifier on the Oppo units is a good thing! Also replacing the clock oscillator can make a huge difference.

http://tinyurl.com/36yyqt

That guy's mods to a DV-980H on the rectifier and clock for DSD HDMI 1.2 transport would make a HUGE DIFFERENCE! BUT his prices again are totally out to lunch.

http://tinyurl.com/n62j7q

That clock would make a huge difference compared to the stock oscillator circuit.

Again though it all comes down to price right. These guys are asking an arm and a leg to modify these units. In the end economics dictate that with "high end" audio sonic returns diminish exponentially with price.

As for an amazing transport, right now, that's out there that can't be beat for the money... look no further than the
Emotiva ERC-1
http://emotiva.com/erc1.shtm

Those Emotiva guys have absolutely amazing product at insane price points.

Take a look at this...

http://tinyurl.com/ler6xf

Notice the back of each unit is the SAME!!!

This doesn't mean Bob is ripping people off... The Sunfire piece will have better more expensive components and be ASSEMBLED in house. As you can see each is identical and the "house" that designed the units are obviously the same people...

The same outfit obviously designed the internals. The back of each unit proves with out a doubt the same people made the initial reference design. Think of it like say GPU video cards... nVidia or ATI ODMs will release a "reference" design and other OEMs will design a retail product based on it. It could be slightly different though with better components like video RAM or solid caps, better heatsink etc.

What makes the Sunfire piece that much more than the Emotiva piece is Bob's people did assembly in house. In other words technical people, IE in house junior electronics engineers, will solder each component. Not all though like say something like the video section PCB that Lonny at Emo has had problems with that's held back the UMC-1 from release. That board would be made in Asia and would be large BGA ICs with 0603 surfacemounts etc. It's obvious these "sections" of the unit will be made by robots etc in large PCB fabrication plants. Back to Bob... his people might put more expensive "voltage parts", clocks etc inside the unit. This can add to the cost bigtime. Also they sign off on the final build and run much more stringent tests on the final product than say... Fing Wong Wing... Get it! LOL

Is it worth the extra 2 grand! I dunno man... for someone like me with a working (hobiest) knowledge of electronics and an old childhood pal working for Ed at EMMlabs whom I can call on to checkout gear and suggest mods to improve the design I'd go with the Emo gear and fix problems Fing Wong Wing had on the assembly line on a bad day... LOL

Solid-State

Last edited by SolidState; 08/20/09 03:20 AM.
SolidState #269881 08/20/09 03:41 AM
shareholder in the making
You say these mods would make a huge difference. How? Where's the proof? I don't want to see oscilloscope scans showing differences in performance. I want to know if a panel of audio enthusiasts can tell the stock unit from a modded unit 10 times out of 10 in a blind test. Because that's being asserted when a huge difference is claimed.

pmbuko #269884 08/20/09 04:15 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
C
One mod I wouldn't mind is to make my OPPO an all-region player.

Page 10 of 33 1 2 8 9 10 11 12 32 33

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters