Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Re: Got Coyotes?
Wid #270943 08/28/09 01:29 AM
Argon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: wid
That Mossburg will do the trick. You could buy a slug barrel for it and that would devastate those beasts. These Hornady slugs are awesome.
Yeah.....the full choke would have to come off

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Argon #270944 08/28/09 01:34 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

That turkey barrel should be able to reach out and touch a few of them too. They put a pretty tight choke on those.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

chesseroo #270945 08/28/09 01:44 AM
Argon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: chesseroo
Here's a thought, don't shoot them.

Coyotes are found far and wide across North America, usually alone but sometimes gather in small packs (not nearly as large as wolf packs). They are typically scavengers and shy away from humans but do hunt small mammals (mice, young or cornered rabbits, whatever is easy).
Much like other scavengers, they will come for garbage and yes, those who think cats need to be outdoors may also lose such small creatures.

One of the local TV stations (WXII12.COM - that is wxii12.com) was interviewing a NC Wildlife Ranger a couple of days ago. Quite coincidentally, in the background - a field next to a housing development - a coyote took down a deer. The cameraman did not capture the take down but he did get on the action immediately after. The coyote had the deer in the classic choke hold in an attempt to suffocate it. Something - probably the interview - spooked the coyote and it let go of the deer and took off. You can see the deer jump up and I don't think it was full grown but it did not have the spots of a fawn either. One thing is certain, it was much bigger than a rabbit. Te video is still on the website - scroll down and look on the right side for it.

Additionally, I have a friend that lives near me that has Weimeraners. Her largest is a bit overweight at around 80 lbs. Her dog was attacked - presumably by more than one coyote a couple of years ago and barely survived the attack. 80 stitches and multiple drainage tubes.

Further the Wildlife service here also cautioned about leaving children under the age of 12 unattended and that adults should be careful when crouching (like when weeding the garden) as the lessened presence could be considered as vulnerable thereby provoking an attack.

I am as big a nature lover as anyone - that is one reason that I live in the woods. I do not want me or my wife to have to look over our shoulder everytime we crouch outside the house.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Adrian #270946 08/28/09 01:53 AM
Argon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
There's coyotes scattered around here in Peel Region, I've never seen more than one at a time, but years ago, a man walking his dog on the biking paths here, had his pet attacked and killed by a pack of coyotes. I'm guessing it was a small pack but it's surprising they attacked with the owner there as generally they stay well away from people. Personally, I'd call up the town and have them remove/relocate them, but I live in semi-urban type area.

We have a similar story - We know a man that was walking his dog at dusk near a wooded area. A coyote sprang from ambush, attacked and killed the dog - while the owner was holding the leash. I would think that when they are in a small "pack" that they are probably bolder than when alone. I can assure you that I was doing my best "rear guard" impression last night when I was bringing the dogs in from their lot to the house.

I think one of the things bothering me is the close proximity to the house and the fact that familiarity has apparently bred contempt within the coyotes towards humans.

BlueJays1 #270947 08/28/09 01:57 AM
Argon Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
My suggestions would be not to kill them. What you heard sounds very normal. They are usually out at night/early monring so my suggestion to you is to keep your dogs indoor once it starts getting dark. Things that will attract them is other animals especially a female dog that is in heat and garbage. Keep your dogs inside once its dark, kids supervised and make sure the area around your house is free of any garbage.Surrounding farms with chickens and other animals will also more likely to attract them to your area. Those are some good preventative measures.

I hear coyotes all the time, I see them cutting out in the road in packs as well. This summer we even a single coyote that wanders our field in the day time (this is not usually a good sign). I have gone out there and the thing seemed very skidish and was aware of every little noise in the surroundings, I kept my distance of course and it just wandered off. It had a beautiful coat.

My kids are both in college - but there are neighbors with small children. Additionally there is a cow farm through the woods where I hear the coyotes. My land borders the cow fence. They used to have a donkey - haven't seen or heard it in a year. I have heard that a donkey will rasie the alarm at something like a coyote. They also used to have guinea hens - I'll have to listen to see if I still hear them.

Wid #270948 08/28/09 02:05 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Yes, I had a "rabbit kill" in my yard last winter. Strange thing is, up until (at least) when we moved to Florida in 85'.....we had none. I also have noticed we now have sea gulls, egrets, gray herons, humming birds, etc., I don't recall seeing, or hearing about back in the day, either.
Hmmmm, the animals are moving around the country, too.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
LT61 #270949 08/28/09 02:10 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Goes to show ya that the environment has been cleaned up to the point these species are making a comeback here in IL. I love seeing the different hawks too.

My brother works for the park district and he has reported seeing what he says is a wolf where he works. Now that's something else.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #270967 08/28/09 08:12 AM
axiomite
axiomite
The state of Florida has issued 13 permits to hunt and kill Burmese Pythons in the Everglades, seems like the pet snakes that irresponsible owners set free have reached some very huge sizes and now it's time to clean up their mess. The state is actually talking about banning the Burmese Python in Florida ... I wonder if they'll ban crackheads also, that would be the place to start.

While working I've noticed several coyotes in the past year or so, something I've never seen in Florida until then. I did see a Florida panther about two years ago, that was cool.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #270982 08/28/09 02:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
It's hard to understand someone getting some of these pets that they know will become difficult to look after down the road(certain snakes, alligators, some types of turtles ect). For some animals raised in captivity, it's difficult for them to survive in the wild when they're let go, not so much the reptiles though.

Do I see a pair of snake skin cowboy boots in your future, Rick? \:D

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
RickF #270999 08/28/09 03:50 PM
axiomite
axiomite
We have a lot of coyotes on PEI now. They are not native and only came across the ice in my lifetime to make a home. Rabbits are starting to make a comeback but they were almost wiped out and foxes starting getting very bold as their food stalks started to be shared by the competition.

Coyotes will definitely hunt larger prey than their wiki inscriptions might imply and can be a serious pest. Locally, we have had a serious issue with cats, small dogs, old large dogs, sheep, calves, basically anything that two or three of them could drag down.

Farmers have countered by renewing the age old practice of keeping a donkey mixed in with the livestock. Donkeys kick coyote ass, literally. Lamas also became an odd but common sight as they seem to share a donkeys hatred for coyotes. Actually, now you see herds of lamas where before people would stop to take a picture of one.

Last winter I had an unusually big one wander through my backyard on his own. It was the first time I saw one up close. I've always assumed they were thin and mangy looking as often described but this guy was well fed and had a relatively nice coat. Only his coloring and his long, rabbit hole poking snout let you know for sure he was a coyote.

I haven't owned a gun since high school but there is a continuous bounty on them here and if they keep getting this bold, I might invest in another.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters