Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Re: Got Coyotes?
bridgman #271078 08/29/09 12:33 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: bridgman

Don't think I would feel comfortable shooting a coyote with a 22LR; that seems too light for a clean kill.

Come on, where is your sporting spirit - no fun if it is not a challenge. And .223 is combat ammo, so I tend to avoid that if you have neighbors. I used to shoot snakes with my Dad with a .22 pistol from a boat. It did not count unless you hit them in the head. Shooting a dog sized animal in the head with a rifle barrel and a scope is easy. Basically, what I'm trying to say is:

General Dodonna: Well, the Empire doesn't consider a small one-man fighter to be any threat, or they'd have a tighter defense. An analysis of the plans provided by Princess Leia has demonstrated a weakness in the battle station. But the approach will not be easy. You are required to maneuver straight down this trench and skim the surface to this point. The target area is only two meters wide. It's a small thermal exhaust port, right below the main port. The shaft leads directly to the reactor system. A precise hit will start a chain reaction which should destroy the station. Only a precise hit will set off a chain reaction. The shaft is ray-shielded, so you'll have to use proton torpedoes.

Wedge Antilles (Red 2): That's impossible! Even for a computer.

Luke: It's not impossible. I used to bullseye womp rats in my T-16 back home, they're not much bigger than two meters.

We all now a Womp Rat is just a coyote from along time ago, in a galaxy far far away, so this is a reliable source.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Adrian #271088 08/29/09 01:26 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
Was it this year or last when people were stockpiling ammo? are they enforcing new restrictions or something now?

It started last year. Then when the new administration came to office it really got bad.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #271097 08/29/09 02:30 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: wid

It started last year. Then when the new administration came to office it really got bad.

It's amusing because it's a self-fulfilling prophecy. The fear was that the Obama administration would pass laws restricting the sales of certain kinds of guns or ammo, which would make it hard or impossible to buy. So people started stockpiling. That created the very shortage/acquisition difficulties that they feared. Not because of an evil government, but because of their own actions. Yay.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
Adrian #271110 08/29/09 03:26 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I'd still like to shoot the sh**!@#$$A$$!!!** that shot my last dog at the back of our property. Someone is gonna hate me for this, but we got tires of the dumba$$ Americans that showed up with their 3030s to take pot shots at squirells without permission. Hmmm, two rants in 10 minutes. I'm a mite cranky tonight!

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
PeterChenoweth #271111 08/29/09 03:38 AM
aficionado
aficionado
 Quote:
It's amusing because it's a self-fulfilling prophecy.

Actually, most of those "stockpiling" ammo, are just trying to beat the price increases, and rumoured huge tax increases. How do I know? It's easy, I've been in several gun shops, and the local big box stores, and talked to people who know.
Sadly, hoarding is all too common, when people hear of pending large price/tax increases, or
coming shortages, on almost ANY products.

No prophecy...........not too amusing, imo.

Last edited by LT61; 08/29/09 03:38 AM.

LIFE: "Choices, balance, and timing"

(Larryism)
LT61 #271112 08/29/09 03:43 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Yeah, and another thing not too amusing is that even some of our local LE departments have been having supply problems.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #271126 08/29/09 11:15 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

A lot of the problem is the manufactures didn't see this coming. I have heard it will take a couple of years to catch up. One other MAJOR reason for the shortage is the war effort.

Originally Posted By: fredk
I'd still like to shoot the sh**!@#$$A$$!!!** that shot my last dog at the back of our property. Someone is gonna hate me for this, but we got tires of the dumba$$ Americans that showed up with their 3030s to take pot shots at squirells without permission. Hmmm, two rants in 10 minutes. I'm a mite cranky tonight!

Anyone, American or not, that uses a "3030" for a squirrel is a "dumb-ass".

Sorry to hear about your dog.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #271128 08/29/09 02:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: wid
Anyone, American or not, that uses a "3030" for a squirrel is a "dumb-ass".

Sorry to hear about your dog.

I'm sure it is a small minority of gun owners, but they sure manage to piss a lot of people off. The dog thing happened a long time ago, but it still gets my riled sometimes.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #271130 08/29/09 04:02 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That would be my greatest concern if I were a hunter: the 1 out of 20 guys who sees something move, 'shoots first then checks what he just killed after the fact' or the other guy with the high powered rifle firing across the lake at something he "thinks" is a moose. There's definately some people out there who shouldn't be allowed in the same time zone as a fire arm, like the yahoos out west who posted a video on Youtube shooting ducks, inc hatchlings "for fun" in a local pond.

"Cheney's Got a Gun".....

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
fredk #271131 08/29/09 04:11 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
I spent many summers on a cattle ranch in Nevada pushing cows, mending fences, putting up hay and growing up the cowboy life. Coyotes, as well as jack rabbits, were devastating to crops and livestock. The rabbits would decimate a field, and the damn coyotes would kill the new born calves. Needless to say, I killed a lot of coyotes and jack rabbits. Coyotes are not the easiest critter to shoot. Good luck with the 22 and shotgun. You’ll never get close enough to use either. I’ve hunted for better than 30 years and I’ve never seen a critter as evasive as a coyote. The damn things will be trotting along through the sage brush two hundred yards away at 2:00 in plain sight, disappear, and then pop up behind you. They must have some sort of sixth sense that they can tell a human has a bead on them. They drop to their bellies and crawl amazingly fast, then poof – their gone. The only way I was ever successful, was long range shooting over 200 yards with a mini-14. As soon as I saw one, I’d give the horizon a quick look for anything I didn’t want to shoot, then I’d just start shooting. Most of the time the coyote was out of range, so I’d have to make a dust cloud and adjust elevation. – I also found that using a scope hindered my reaction time, so I used peep sights.

All that aside, I don’t think you need to fear for your family. Coyotes are extremely skittish and they do not grow bolder in packs like some of the Aussie critters and wild dogs do, which are very dangerous. Coyotes will kill your chickens and anything else you have running around though.

Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters