Rate Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Wireless Router Recommendation
#271541 09/03/09 11:28 PM
Ken.C Offline OP
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
OK, I've finally gotten completely sick of having to physically restart my Linksys WPA54G (thanks for not including a restart button in the web interface, morons!), so I'm thinking about buying a new router.

I'm mainly looking at the Airport Extreme; we have one at work, it seems to hold up pretty well (had to restart it maybe once or twice in the last year). My hesitations:

• One less ethernet port than my current one (although I'm not sure if I actually use 4 ports or not)
  • It doesn't have a web interface (not really a big deal)
  • It doesn't have a bunch of twiddly things I could change (although I don't do that currently with my home network)
  • It's kind of expensive, although I could add a USB hard drive to use as a NAS, which is appealing.
  • I've heard iffy things about the NAS functionality, though.

Anyone have experience with these beasties (current model, pref) or other recommendations?

My network consists of a PowerMac G4, a homebuilt Core i7 gaming machine, a Macbook, a Macbook Pro, a TiVo, and Roku box. I don't do a lot of file transfer over the network, so it's mainly for internet access.

Last edited by kcarlile; 09/03/09 11:29 PM.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Re: Wireless Router Recommendation
Ken.C #271542 09/03/09 11:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
OK, you know I'm the Apple fanboy.

I use a Time Capsule, 2 Airport Extremes and an Airport Express in my house. I have a lot of 'stuff' that needs network connections like Apple TVs, Tivos, PS3, Wii, Slingbox, etc. And yes, the 4 port limitation is a PITA. You can get around that limitation if you keep your existing Linksys and use it only as a wired bridge to add more ports. (I do this.) You could also keep it as a Wifi router and use multiple BSSIDs (Wifi links) in your house in order to separate traffic. I use one Time Capsule at 5GHz to allow this the be the 'big' pipe in the house for fast transfers and Wifi backups. For all other traffic which doesn't need bandwidth, I use the Airport Extreme at 2.4 GHz. On the other side of the house, I needed several wired ports for a Tivo and Slingbox (a friend uses it to Sling TV in Switzerland). I use a 2nd Airport Extreme to connect to the first one and then provide 4 ports of ethernet in this other location. Works great and is easy to set up.

W/ the Airport stuff, the Airport Utility is really easy to use. Any Apple router just shows up and you can configure it on any PC or Mac. And yes, you can reboot any Apple router from this GUI.

I do use the Time Capsule for Time Machine backups on our 3 Macs. Works great. But the backups take up space, depending on how much history you keep. I repurposed a slightly used La Cie drive and hooked it up to one of the Airport Extremes and it's used as NAS that way. Works fine, I can easily stream videos (I've tried up to 2 GB files) from it to a Mac w/ no stuttering.

The newer Airport Extremes are nice because they are dual band. That means 1 router will do 2.4 GHz and 5 GHz simultaneously. Very cool feature and eliminates one box compared to my config. However, you still have the 4 port limitation.

The big Apple cons are cost, 4 ports, and the fact that the Time Capsule runs HOT. If you can get past that, great hardware. Maybe wait until after next Tues Apple announcement to see what's coming. Though I do think it's only iPod related.

Check CL in the Bay Area. 1 quick showed one for $75 in Campbell. Don't get the round one, you want any of the square ones.

oldskoolboarder #271543 09/04/09 12:02 AM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh, I definitely want the newest one. ;\) I used to be an Apple tech, now I'm a Cisco/Windows/VMware/Apple/Linux/Storage/Networking tech.

Good to know that the NAS function works just fine. Do you store music files on it? I'd kind of like to dump the G4 in favor of some sort of networked storage, then sync the iPods off of the laptops.

Ken.C #271545 09/04/09 12:19 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I actually had to split the storage. My Time Capsule is pretty much my main iTunes repository. I have a Mac Mini that controls the music management. I used to manually sort my music by preference/genre. Then one day I accidentally had iTunes organize my iTunes library and I couldn't go back. \:\( Yeah, happens to a lot of people... I have iTunes store/organize all music on the Time Capsule. Then my wife uses her Macbook to sync her iPod and I use my Macbook to sync my iPhone 3G. To save HDD space on our Macbooks, we (and I mean me) point our iTunes library to the Time Capsule but don't copy them locally. Yeah, we have to be 'home' to sync but I rarely sync out of the house anyways. My iTunes library is relatively big, especially now since I've committed to Apple lossless and Time Machine eats into the Time Capsule's 1GB So only Time Machine and iTunes are on the Time Capsule. For all other stuff, like random files, digital pix, home vids, movies, etc, I put them on the LaCie on the other Airport Extreme.

Now I haven't tried this but you can connect a USB hub to the Extreme and then add multiple HDDs. So if you have a bunch lying around (like I do) they can all be made into NAS's. You can use the Airport Utility to control access to each of the drives.

And to make it more complicated ;\) I use Amazon's S3 and Jungledisk for off site storage. My previous LaCie died last year, taking many years of photos with it. It's beyond repair, unless I spend $$$. After that, I now use Jungledisk to save my photos and home vids to Amazon on a set cycle. For about 13GB, I pay about $4/mo. Great for piece of mind in case something happens at my house. I don't do it for my backups or my iTunes. I figure I can rerip if necessary and I'm too cheap to store backups. Granted it helps that my Comcast cable speed is 10Mbps upstream.

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 09/04/09 12:21 AM.
oldskoolboarder #271551 09/04/09 02:45 AM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Yeah, hd problems would be why I wouldn't use a Time Capsule. I want mirrored storage for my stuff, unless it is just a backup. I figure a Buffalo DriveStation Duo would do the trick--we use them at our satellite sites as archive backups.

Sounds like your iTunes setup is exactly what I'm envisioning. I just don't use the G4 except to sync cameras and music, and it just doesn't make a lot of sense any more.

Ken.C #271554 09/04/09 03:07 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I also would prefer some kind of RAID/mirror solution. I lust after the Drobo, especially since my company does the CPU for that. Sadly, I can't work any kind of deal (I've tried). I've trolled ebay and CL many times w/ no luck.

The HP Media Vault and MediaSmart ones are nice as well, cheaper than Drobo. Don't even consider the Netgear NAS enclosure, that one is HORRIBLE, regardless of how cheap one can find it.

oldskoolboarder #271556 09/04/09 03:19 AM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Really? The ReadyNAS? I just bought one for my office for storing out of service VMs on. It seems fairly decent.

The Drobo looks awesome, but is godawful expensive.

Ken.C #271560 09/04/09 05:23 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
No the SC101 and SC101T are the bad ones. They increased ethernet performance w/ some s/w 'tricks' that only work on Windows.

Oh, and welcome to Ken and Cesar's email thread. ;\)

Last edited by oldskoolboarder; 09/04/09 05:24 AM.
oldskoolboarder #271561 09/04/09 05:40 AM
veteran
veteran
what do you think about Netgear ReadyNAS NV+ or Duo. They have some rebates going on too.

--Avi

---
Samsung 65" 8500, xbox 360
Sunfire AV7702
Marantz AV7704
Sony UBP-X1000ES
M80s, VP180, QS8s, EP350
oldskoolboarder #271562 09/04/09 05:40 AM
Ken.C Offline OP
OP Offline
Oh heck, I wouldn't touch anything Netgear developed in house. You kidding, man? Same with D-Link.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters