Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rating: 4
Page 2 of 260 1 2 3 4 259 260
Re: Where's Robert Pirsig when you need him?
#13446 07/15/03 06:53 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Peter, I've not had that beer. Thank you very much for the recommendation - I'll look for it! I like a good West Coast IPA, but don't get Brits (or certain others) started on the topic of "true" IPA. There are those change-resistant folks who deny that American application of Columbus/Cascade/Chinook hops to that style is an abomination rather than expansion to a new and distinctive style. I used to really groove on that big hop nose and grapefruity flavor. But the palate fatigue is just killer - after a couple, I really can't taste much of anything. If you can get a good one on cask, then you've got something.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#13447 07/15/03 06:58 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Will, thanks so much for sharing. I know too little about distillation, and your tutelage is welcome. You nailed the Zen reference; much of that book revolves around a search to define "quality". It seemed pretty deep when I was 18. In retrospect, it seems a bit ponderous and self-indulgent.

I really like Kentucky Bourbon. What should I be drinking?

Sonicfox - interesting that you should bring up the whole "light struck" issue. I discovered a few years ago that the CANNED version of Heineken is absolutely transcendent compared to the horrible bottles I'd been subjected to on the West Coast all these years.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
#13448 07/15/03 04:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I don't know a whole lot about bourbon other than what I know I like. Some possibilities:
-Blantons is the best tasting I've ever had. Costco had it for awhile but they're all gone. Was $38 a bottle there. Must be better bourbons but I've never tasted any.
-Makers Mark is a good all around bourbon. Not so expensive that you feel like a fool using it in mixed drinks, but is also smooth and tasty enough to sip straight.
-Jim Beam is as low as I'll go. I use it only in mixed drinks. Found it on sale for $13 per 1.75L bottle and stocked up last year. It's harsh straight, but doesn't seem to cause too much internal damage.
-Evan Williams Single Barrel was absolutely an awesome deal when it first came out, but prices have climbed. It could be my imagination, but it also seems like quality dipped.
-Elmer T. Lee is good. Especially if you can find it under $20.
-Wild Turkey ain't bad. I prefer the 101 proof.

I don't know if you like your booze straight, but try the good stuff warm, without ice or water, in a nice glass. Take little sips, let it sit on the palette for awhile, and go slow. You won't get drunk, but you will get mellow.

For bourbon & Coke, Makers Mark can't be beat.

#13449 07/15/03 05:32 PM
shareholder in the making
This could be sacrilage, but the way I (and my wife) figure it, we don't drink enough to waste time with the cheap stuff. In other words, I use medium-good quality liquor in everything, including mixed drinks. No matter what the scientific evidence says, a fine tequila in a margarita tastes better, has a wider soundstage, transcends the live experience... Oh wait, wrong thread.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
#13450 07/15/03 08:08 PM
Ah yes, Jim Beam. That is the key ingredient in my wife's family's "Bourbon Slush" recipe -- a hit at outdoor concerts and BBQs.

1 750ml bottle Jim Beam
4 cups strongly brewed tea
1 can lemonade concentrate
1 can orange juice concentrate
plenty of water
plenty of sugar

Place all ingredients into a large container and put in freezer. Give it a good stir every few hours. When it reaches a slushy consistency, serve it up!

#13451 07/15/03 11:47 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Gott'a love this.. Electronic gear, music and movies, and adult beverages, all on the same site.. Too cool..
So, can we get someone to put together a list of all the better brews and suggestions that have been listed ?
Isn't it kind of interesting, as one can grows older (I didn't say necessarily wiser) one begins to slow down and enjoy the simpler pleasures life offers ? Such as a fine painting, a well writen book, a great movie, and of course, the perfect potation to complete the moment.. Ahhhhhhh....
Here's a funny thing.. I find myself sort of role playing with a lot the movies I watch these days.. We have the sound, the picture, why not the taste ??
If it's a old murder mystery type, I'll have scotch/rocks.. If a action movie, beer, but imported or made by the same country as the primary role in the movie.. Following me here ? James Bond, you guessed it, "Shaken, not stirred".. French/wine, cowboy/wiskey, Greek/Oyzo, etc, etc..
Next time you drop in Hunt for Red October, be sure you pour yourself a shot of Vodka.. I mean, Waadka..

LFE ! The rest is just details..
#13452 07/15/03 11:55 PM
In reply to:

be sure you pour yourself a shot of Vodka.. I mean, Waadka..

Just don't go all "Ya tebya lublu" on us after you take a few shots. There's nothing worse than a blathering drunk who keeps saying he loves you in Russian -- with a bad accent, nonetheless.

#13453 07/16/03 12:33 AM
local
local
I buy a lot of Woodford Reserve. I used to buy Makers Mark until I tried the Woodford.

#13454 07/16/03 04:39 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey MIKEY, I recall that you are in OC. If you haven't already, go check out Hi-Time Cellar in Costa Mesa. HUGE selection of everything. It's a two story emporium of everything alcoholic. Decent prices, not the lowest on everything, but they do run some smoking sales on stuff.

#13455 07/16/03 07:14 PM
M
devotee
devotee
M
Thanks Mark.. You know, I've been told about that place a couple of times.. I'm in Huntington Beach, like ten minutes away, and never make it over there ? Go figure..
Looks like ZeN will be stopping by this Saturday to give my system a listen.. I'll stop by Hi-Time and grab some suds..
What's best in this area again ? I'm not much on all the ales, micro brews, and such, as I love and drink mostly the beers Hecho de Mexico.. I've injoyed many a fine beer, but with all those brands, makes, etc, I can't keep up with it..
Any help, again, would be appreciated..

LFE ! The rest is just details..
Page 2 of 260 1 2 3 4 259 260

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,939
Posts442,452
Members15,615
Most Online2,082