Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: 9/11 where were you?
LT61 #272243 09/12/09 06:24 AM
shareholder in the making
I was in Oakland, CA and had gotten up early to go for a hike with my fiancee and our dog that morning. When I started the car, NPR was on the radio. I think at that time, only one plane had hit. I shut off the car and went inside to turn on the TV. I watched both towers fall. We skipped the hike, but we ended up going to a friend's house to process. My boss told me to stay home.

pmbuko #272251 09/12/09 11:00 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

I was at work getting ready to lay a driveway (blacktop it) up north near Chicago. A fellow worker was listening to the radio and had come over to tell us way happened. Of course we all stopped and was glued to the radio and that's when the 2nd plane hit the 2nd tower.

We were all in a state of shock. Just couldn't beleive what happened. My wedding anniversary falls on 9/11 and the wife and I canceled plans we had made for that evening. We just sat home and was glued to the news.

I will never forget this tragedy and I sure hope the world doesn't either. Let us never forget.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #272254 09/12/09 01:30 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I was working in Lubbock, TX on a on a boll weevil eradication program with twelve other airplanes out of our strip, we were all out flying whenever the contract holder came over the radio and told us that we were to all land immediately and whenever we did all of the pilots and ground crews sat glued to the three TV sets in the office for most of the remainder of the day.
Our small airstrip was located within sight of Lubbock Int'l Airport and it seemed so eerie to not see any airplanes except for an occasional military jet flying out of there for the next week.

Rick
Our Room

smile
Wid #272255 09/12/09 02:21 PM
I had a shoot scheduled for an organization in Albany, NY. I had been watching a network news show in the morning on a TV in the office... which was odd because I had always had MASH on in the mornings for the previous year or so. I saw it live from when they first thought a Cessna had hit the first tower, through the second plane hitting, through Washington and Pennsylvania. Seeing the second plane hit "live" on the continous feed behind the anchor is something I'll always remember.

About five minutes after the second plane had hit the second tower, I had called my client in Albany to ask if the shoot was still going to happen, and no one in their office had heard the news yet. I told her what was happening, and she said she'll call me back in five minutes. When she did, she told me that no, they would need to reschedule. They had a branch office in one of the towers.

I feel bad that I was the one who told them about the news, but I know I did it in a respectful way, and I was in a bit of shock watching it all live.

I had only been to their Albany office once before; previously my shoots for them were in Tampa and quite a few different shoots in DC. I haven't been called to do more for them since 2001...I don't really think it's the same company it once was, though I never heard / found out if or how many people they lost that day.

For good or for bad, being self-employed and having appointments canceled allowed me to sit glued to the TV for four days.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #272279 09/12/09 05:51 PM
aficionado
aficionado

I was on vacation that week and was sleeping in. My mom and I were going to fly to NYC on 9/13 for my cousin's wedding on 9/15. I have no siblings and grew up with them, so this was sort of a big deal.

I heard the phone ring a little earlier but slept some more before deciding to get up. I checked the answering machine and it was a friend of mine who said something to the effect of "Well, I guess it looks like you won't be making your trip"... and not much else.

I didn't know what the hell he was talking about. My TV was on but on HBO. I flipped around TV channels and quickly found out what he meant. The second plane had already hit, I remember being stunned, thinking there would even more attacks than actually occurred. A horrible day.

Obviously we couldn't make the trip, but my cousin decided to go ahead with the wedding, one of the first in NYC after 9/11, at St. Patrick's Cathedral.

On a previous trip to NYC, we wanted to tour the Towers, but got there too late and only visited to lobby area (forgot which tower).

Epic 80 / SVS PB13 Ultra
Denon 3805 / M2200 Outlaw Monos /
Sammy 55" LED
Spoiler #272280 09/12/09 06:03 PM
axiomite
axiomite
On the couch relaxing and watching some news. The first report got my attention, the video that followed a few minutes later will be with me forever more than any other event in my life.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #272355 09/13/09 07:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Most days I listen to NPR while I drive to work. I had been listening for a few minutes when they announced that reports were coming in that a small plane may have crashed into the WTC. I remember thinking, 'gee, that sucks'. I arrived at work just as they were starting to get confirmation that a plane did crash, and that it was not a small plane. The first hints that something big was happening.

Got to work and asked my co-workers if they had heard anything about it. None had. I fired up CNN on a TV in our office, just in time to witness the second plane crashing. Needless to say, we were all speechless. My manager immediately left to inform upper management of the situation. The word spread quickly among our 200+ employees (most of which do not really have access to the outside world at work) and within an hour we had a couple of TV's set up in the various breakrooms for people to watch & learn what was going on. When the Pentagon got hit, tensions really increased. At that point, everyone knew that this was a day we wouldn't soon forget. We spent most of the morning glued to CNN.

As the magnitude of the situation was just starting to really sink in, the rumors and 'local affects' started happening. That made it all worse, and on a much more personal level for everyone. The price of gas doubled in my town over lunch. I ran out to grab a sandwich for lunch, and the gas stations and grocery store looked like something out of an apocalyptic movie; long lines, police controlling traffic, some stations out of gas, etc. It was insane and scary. And the knowledge of that just made everyone even more nervous as to what would happen next. There were so many employees at my business that were freaking out that they let people go home early if they wanted. Many did.

I've never seen or felt an amount of public panic like that. I hope I never do again.

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #272403 09/14/09 12:29 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Even up here, Telco's went into a state of high security and building lock downs. I remember getting a call saying I was to put our network and Central Office into Status Orange. I literally had to go dust of 20 year old manuals to see what the heck that meant. "Go dust off" can be taken very literally as no one in the four provinces we served could remember ever going to that code level.

My sympathies to the families of lost loved ones and a salute to the heroes who dealt with the tragedy at all levels of aftermath.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters