Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 40 of 48 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 47 48
Re: The world's newest Axiomite it born...
pmbuko #274887 10/13/09 08:44 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Interesting. Thanks for posting, blinking Puddy Tat.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #274899 10/13/09 10:45 PM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
Man kind has indeed accomplished some amazing things, expecially in the last 100 years. Heck 100 years ago it was common belief that if you were to accidentally travel any faster than 50 miles per hour, you would surely disintegrate. Now we have fighter planes that travel many times the speed of sound. For my grandmothers parents, the notion of being able to travel the speed of sound was just as fantastic as the thought of being able to travel the speed of light is to us today. Looking back on how far we've come in so little time, I myself would not be shocked if we were to achieve light speed within the next 100 years... in fact, I would be shocked if we didn't.

Of course there is a long list of reasons why we will NEVER be able to travel at the speed of light. But 100 years ago the list of reasons why we could NEVER travel at the speed of sound was twice as long, and we did it anyway. But as many mind boggling things as the human race has figured out, I still think there are things we will never ever know no matter how advanced we become. The 'big bang' theory may always and forever remain just a theory, because... well, how do you PROVE absolutely exactly what happened so many billions of years ago? I myself buy into the 'cyclic universe' theory, for no other reason than I just can't imagine there ever being NOTHING, and then all of a sudden EVERYTHING!

Of course neither theory is perfect, and it's hard to wrap your head around either of them. On the one hand how can you possibly ever grasp the fact that there was ever NOTHING??? And on the other hand, we are all so used to there being a beginning and an ending to everything, how can you ever fully grasp the idea that there isn't a beginning to the universe? How could something have ALWAYS existed? I've tried many times to fully believe one or the other, and whenever I put a lot of thought into it I drive myself so mad that it starts to seem ridiculous that anything could ever exist in the first place. So to keep myself from ending up in the loony bin, I just stop thinking about it and accept the MOST believable theory for myself... which is the 'cyclic universe' theory. For me, it just makes more sense than the 'big bang' theory.

Gravity may never fully be understood either. Could just be one of those universal mysteries that we aren't meant to understand. So in the mean time, I'm just going to go with my 'magnatism' theory. It's easy, simple, not hard to understand. Sure it may have holes in it, hell for that matter it might just be completely absurd... but it works for me! ;\)

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #274910 10/14/09 01:28 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: Micah
Heck 100 years ago it was common belief that if you were to accidentally travel any faster than 50 miles per hour, you would surely disintegrate.

I had that feeling when I took my VW bug on the 400 back in high school.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
pmbuko #274936 10/14/09 04:12 AM
C
CV Offline
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
C
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Unfortunately, the Large Hadron Collider may be sabotaging itself.

That's great. I always figured the scientists just wanted a cool place to hang out. Since there wasn't really anything to discover, they had to figure out a way to cover their tracks.

Micah #274945 10/14/09 09:29 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
I just can't imagine there ever being NOTHING

But there was never nothing. It started out with a singularity. A branch of string theory (theorists??) suggested that the universe is like a large elastic band that expands and contracts 'snapping' back and forth between states.

Think of the usiverse as a very large 'do-nothing'.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #274953 10/14/09 12:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Interesting but a stretch (no pun on string theory intended). I downloaded the PDF and read some of it. I have a hard time with their analogies explaining how future events may effect the past. Is the current fact that a crowd is gathering for a concert influenced by the future event of the concert or was it predetermined by the previous event of the concert announcement and other developments leading up to it? Admittedly it is much easier to grasp time as a flow.

The conundrums of traveling in time in the reverse are apparent and easy to grasp (probably why time travel movies are fun for the general populace even), until you add in something like a multi-dimensional system where infinite choices result in infinite dimensions (anything "infinite" is hard to graps because we tend to think within the confines of dealing with confined storage,) but throw some equally hard to grasp theories into the mix and I'm willing to admit that practically any theory is possible until solidly refuted these days.

Also, their theories tying God's plan into the mix don't help thier credibility. Personally, I love when spirituality and science are combined together to form theories as they are almost always interesting to read if nothing else but in this case, it won't help them sell their case to number crunching physicists.

On the lighter side:
This is drawing me back to the new episode of Big Bang Theory I watched last night where two of the main characters (physicists) agree that they need to get serious and "Get to Work!!" They immediately start staring at whiteboard full of a formula and the camera starts switching back and forth quickly to different angles and with nothing more than different stances depicting the same 'serious facial expressions, all to beat of the Rocky theme "Eye of the Tiger".

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Micah #274980 10/14/09 06:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Micah

I'm just going to go with my 'magnatism' theory. It's easy, simple, not hard to understand. Sure it may have holes in it, hell for that matter it might just be completely absurd... but it works for me.

Micah, this is all fun and stuff, but please don't plagiarize the great Albert Einstein. I'm pretty sure this is a quote from his first speach in NYC trying to explain his General Theory of Relativity. "Ah, sure, it has holes, but it works for me."

\:\)

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
fredk #274982 10/14/09 06:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: fredk
 Quote:
I just can't imagine there ever being NOTHING

But there was never nothing. It started out with a singularity.

That was the funny ending of the NOVA show on the M-Theory. After decades trying to solve the singularity problem, they solve it with the "understanding" big bangs happen all the time and we are just living in the results of one of them. The funny part was that when they 'solved' the big bang problem it just opened up a whole new mystery about the world that existed on the other side of the bang and what else is out there from prior and later bangs.

It reminded me of Einstein's belief that God is not a tinkerer but a master watch builder who designs and implements the machine and only gets involved when he wants. Here, it was as if the watchmaker watched a child try to open the watch case for a 1,000 years and then laughed as they opened the chronograph and realized it would be another million years before they could grasped how all the gears and springs worked.

Even the smartest of we brilliant humans need to be humbled every now and then.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
fredk #274986 10/14/09 06:54 PM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: fredk
A branch of string theory (theorists??) suggested that the universe is like a large elastic band that expands and contracts 'snapping' back and forth between states.

Indeed, this is the 'cyclic universe' theory I said I myself believe in, correct?

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Zimm #274987 10/14/09 06:59 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
The great Albert Einstein? I would never questioned his intellectual capacity, but I lost respect for him, as I would any other person, when he signed on the dotted line for Roosevelt to create the atomic bomb, thenceforth dropping it on Japan. When his life was nearing end, he said "it was the one great mistake I made".

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Page 40 of 48 1 2 38 39 40 41 42 47 48

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters