Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Upgraditus bit me again...
#27397 12/13/03 07:49 AM
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I'll do my best, but the amp isn't due to arrive until early January. I'm assuming by then I'll have sold my Rotel. So I won't really be able to make a good direct comparison.

#27398 12/13/03 03:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Allegedly? There is nothing alleged about it I can assure you on that. There is a break in period and it is a long one. Read any review on this amp and every owner will concur what I have posted......as will the gentleman who builds them. If you want a better explanation on what happens with the Stratos during the break in period, phone Klaus, trust me he would be more then happy to tell you everything!

#27399 12/13/03 03:45 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

Read any review on this amp and every owner will concur what I have posted

John, I don't mean to be a wet blanket here but for whatever reason (tin ears, not paying attention, oblivious, and the possibility that SS component "break in" is, as some claim, "hooey") I don't hear any difference from the first time I pluged it in to almost two years latter. In fact, it's never sounded sweeter (not coloration sweeter) than the first time I listened. I suppose that I've had it so long I just take it's great performance for granted now. The thing that wowed me the most about this amp is the overall purer(cleaner) sound it produced-like the proverbial "open window to the recording session". That's what my first impression of this amp was and I can't say that it has gotten better because it still sounds the same as the first time I heard it.

Just my opinion, but you know what they say about opinions.....

P.S: Craig(spiffnme) I look forward to your assesment once you get yours and have listened for a while.

I live the life I love and I love the life I live.
#27400 12/13/03 11:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
No problem at all. With mine when I first got it, I was nervous. It was way to bright and had zero punch. It was like I shut down the woofers on my M80's. After a few weeks it got a lot better and I mean a lot better. Even my wife noticed and that alone made my jaw drop. I also never have shut mine off since I got it. Anyway, sorry if I sounded pushy etc, it's just that everything Klaus told me to watch for with this amp, was true and that included the long break-in period. You now however have me curious as to why you didn't notice anything? Did you get the cap upgrade with yours? I did and so far I'm pleased with it!

#27401 12/14/03 12:13 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
John, when someone tells us to watch out for something we often find it even if it doesn't exist. An amp takes about one second to break in and warm up.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

#27402 12/14/03 12:19 AM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
In reply to:

It was way to bright and had zero punch

Mine didn't seem bright at all and it seemed to have a good grip on the bass. Maybe the "factory break-in" had something to do with it. I don't know.

In reply to:

Even my wife noticed and that alone made my jaw drop

I had a simular experience. My wife didn't know that I had hooked up the new amp when she came in to the room and asked "what have you done now, it sounds great" I was shocked. She hardly ever notices the new stuff.
In reply to:

I also never have shut mine off since I got it

I leave mine on all the time too and it never gets more that luke warm. However, the bulbs (there are 2) on the face plate did burn out and I can't find a replacement locally. I'll have to get them from Klaus.

I did get the cap upgrade. I must confess that I got it because Klaus said it would make a big difference. Not having any thing to reference it to (stock Stratos) I could only take his word for it. But I'm sure the cap upgrade is big time over kill. None the less, I'm happy as a clam with it.

In reply to:

sorry if I sounded pushy etc

You didn't sound pushy at all just very convinced

#27403 12/14/03 03:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
JohnK If I got you right and your saying a brand new piece of audio equipment takes one second to break in, your opinion goes against some of the best audio designers in the world. Read this from the Stratos page:

http://www.odysseyaudio.com/setup_tweak.html

John Potis (Soundstage) who is a very respected person when it comes to HT even uses it as a negative when talking about the Stratos and even touches on the mystery surrounding break in:

http://www.soundstage.com/revequip/odysseyaudio_stratos.htm

I can find you the same sort of information from other manufactures. Hell, my brother in law is a tech with Bryston and they openly acknowledge a break in period as has John Curl from Parasound, Stefan Helsmburg from NAD, Jim Norris from Krell etc etc. I find it odd that several of the worlds premier amplifier designers would talk about a break in period, when according to some it doesn't exist.

Anyway, what do I know! I have only made a few posts here and I seem to get keeping myself in trouble, but I'm speaking as a guy who over the last 5 years has probably replaced every piece of equipment in my set-up at least 20 times and time and time again I hear break in periods with amps. I will shut up now :-)

Last edited by NeverHappy; 12/14/03 03:35 PM.
#27404 12/14/03 04:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Didn't you know JohnK has more sensitive ears?

#27405 12/14/03 05:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
True enough! Who knows this may all be in my head but I know what I hear and have heard from various pieces I have owned.

#27406 12/14/03 06:01 PM
M
mwc Offline
aficionado
aficionado
M
Hi John,

I am one who respects and follows John Potis's writings but I'm not sure that in his review of the Stratos that he is actually and difinitively acknowledging "Component Break-in". I think he speaks honestly when he says this: "Am I confident regarding to what I can attribute the slow start I had with the Odyssey Audio Stratos amplifier? Not really. It may have been a break-in issue or it could even have been an unrealized bad mood on my part that colored my initial experience and biased me against the amplifier, thus requiring an extended audition that eventually withered that bias away".

Having had several phone conversations with Klaus Bunge of Odyssey, I also respect his knowledge of audio. But as far as "break-in" goes, I (personally) can't blindly accept his word or any other of the well respected manufactures that you mentioned just because they say it's so. Simply because they say something is so doesn't make more than just an opinion (just playing Devil's advocate for a second). I often hear reviewers and manufacturers mention break-in but never hear them talk about the specific physical and scientific reasons for what really would cause this phenomenon.

On the Odyssey web site it mentions this:
"There are several factors that determine the extensive length of "break-in", such as charging of capacitors, establishing the electron flow on the PC board, cables, soldering joints, etc. External conditions, such as the power quality and stability of your power in your listening room, the kind of music you are listening to (more or less dynamics), and many more factors will contribute to the break-in process."

I'm the first one to admit that I know just enough about electricity to be dangerous but the phrase "establishing the electron flow on the PC board" just sounds plain silly. And how long can it take to charge a capicitor, for cryin' out loud? And what the hell could "soldering joints" have to do with the price of eggs in China? Sorry, I don't mean to rant but if these folks (reviews and manufacturers) are going to convince the regular Joe that "break-in really exists (unless the "regular Joe" is convienced because of his own experience of course), there going to have to do better than saying that the "the kind of music you are listening to" can contribute to break-in .

If you/anyone knows of any manufacturer that has published papers that definitively describe and establish the physical and/or scientific properties that cause the "break-in" phenomenon, please let me know and I will eat every word that I have penned here and do it with glee. Please understand, I'm not saying break-in doesn't exist. I just need to know why it exist before I become a believer as I have never personally experience a percieved break-in from SS components. Like I said in a previous post, it could be that; I wasn't paying close enough attention, or break-in is too subtle for my ears to detect, or I have a preconcieved bias and can't bring myself to believe it....I just don't know.

But please don't take this as a personal attack. I just wanted to express my opinion and you know what they say about opinions......

In reply to:

I have only made a few posts here and I seem to get keeping myself in trouble

I wan't you to know that as far as I'm concerned, your posts are always welcome. There are always 3 sides to a story: mine,yours, and the truth.

Not many folks on this board have gotten themselves in more trouble than me. Don't worry, just keep the posts coming.

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters