Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 36 of 48 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 47 48
Re: The world's newest Axiomite it born...
Wid #274056 10/04/09 07:25 AM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I'll kick it off by telling my story Cam...

It was the spring of 1988, I was 17 years old. My buddy David and I were riding across town to see another friend of ours. This was the first ride of the year for both of us and I had just taken my ten speed down (it hung upside down from hooks in the garage) and in my haste to get going, disreguarded my fathers timely advice to tighten down the wing nuts on the wheels... BIG MISTAKE!!!

So we're heading across town riding down this hill when we start to come up on a curb. For reasons that are still unknown to me David suddenly slowed way down and let me pass him. This was pure luck as if not for this simple manuver, I would to this day not have any clue as to what happened next. Ok so I pass him up and start to plan my next move. I remember thinking I was going too fast to bunny hop off of the side walk onto the pavement, and then bunny hop back up onto the sidewalk again and continue on. So I was planning on hopping down, turning into the parking lot while slowing down, making a big loop around and hopping back up onto the next sidewalk. My memory of the incident ends about 50 feet from the curb, the rest is David's recollection of the incident.

So after passing David I continued down the sidewalk and made the bunny hop as I had planned... while in the air my front wheel came straight off of my bike. Upon landing on my front forks I was catapulted into the air where I did a complete forward 360 degree loop and then performed one of the most brutal face-plants ever witnessed right into the asphalt. The interesting part is that according to David, I never let go of the handle bars or ditched the bike what-so-ever. He said it was like I was glued to the bike, like we were all one piece. Anyhow when I landed on my face he said my head and neck made a 90 degree angle and he heard a spine chilling popping noise. At that point he said the rest of my body and my bike fell lifelessly to the ground as I laid there motionless. He said without a doubt he was 100% sure I'd snapped my neck and was dead at that point. He stopped his bike, and ran over to me yelling my name. When he got to me he said I looked up at him, untangled myself from my bike as I stood up, walked over to the curb and sat down all without saying a word or making a sound.

Ok so from 50 feet away from the curb I went blank until I suddenly opened my eyes and looked up at a blood-red sky. At that point I remember seeing David come into the picture like he was moving in slow motion... only I couldn't hear him, or anything else for that matter. The next thing I remember was sitting on the curb and seeing a woman pull up in a car looking at me in horror. I don't remember her saying anything, I just remember climbing into her car. At that point I looked down at my shirt, I was wearing my favorite 'Ocean Pacific' tee-shirt, and as I looked down at it I noticed a shocking amount of blood pouring down from my face onto it. For a split second I remember being alarmed that my favorite shirt was getting ruined. But a split second after that I specifically remember thinking, "fuck it, it's just a damn shirt"... which in itself was strange because I was always VERY particular about my clothes. At that point I looked out the window I was sitting next to and saw David standing there with his arm extended out towards me, holding my tooth in his hand. As I took my tooth out of his hand it suddenly occured to me that something bad must have just happened. Only I was under the assumption that I must have been in a car wreck!

The woman then turned around and drove me to the emergency room (this all happened in the back entrance to the hopital... ironic eh?), where they would spend the next 45 minutes wiring my tooth back into my mouth. The fact that the only injury I sustained was a knocked out tooth is to David a 'miracle'!!! According to him the violent and wickedly fast nature that the entire weight of my body and bicycle slamming my head into the asphalt the way it did should have resulted in catastrophic injuries. He was so sure I was dead when he saw me hit the ground that when he saw my eyes moving around he thought it was my nerves causing a reflex... like a chicken running around after his head's been cut off. Ha, that must have been freaky!!! Lol...

I guess it's a good thing my tooth took the brunt of the impact. I have strong teeth, the collision knocked my whole tooth right out root and all. It wasn't chipped or split or broken in any way. So it seems I'm lucky to be walking around according to David. Too bad my body's ability to fight off cancer isn't as strong as my teeth eh? ;\)

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #274126 10/05/09 02:23 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You are extremely lucky that you didn't hurt yourself more. I've never even heard of anything remotely close to someone's wheel coming off their bike.

I wish I heard your story before my accident, I would have rode around everywhere with my teeth sticking out as far as they could \:\) .

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Micah #274141 10/05/09 04:00 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm glad all I had to ride on was country gravel roads. Living a mile from the nearest neighbour, the second I turned 16 I climbed in a car (actually I started under supervision at 12) and never looked back.

There is something to be said for wraping yourself in a ton of metal, even if you're not Iron Man.

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Ya_basta #274199 10/06/09 01:37 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
One of my "favorite" injuries was when I broke my wrist in 7th (or was it 8th?) grade. The teachers were on strike that day, so recess was more or less unsupervised. A bunch of kids were trying to dunk a basketball by jumping off of chairs. I took a running start, but the chair slid out from under me as I tried to launch off it. I stuck my left arm back to break my fall. *SNAP*

Fortunately, I was in shock almost instantly. It felt as if I was stoned because I couldn't get over how funny my wrist looked so offset from my forearm. I showed everyone I could until someone convinced me to go see the nurse. I ended up fracturing both my radius and ulna. I didn't feel any pain until I got to the hospital with my mom and the doctor had to wrestle my bones back into place before putting a cast on me. I don't think the local anesthetic helped at all, and he injected me pretty good.

pmbuko #274215 10/06/09 03:24 AM
Micah Offline OP
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
One of my "favorite" injuries....

Lol, that made me chuckle! \:D

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #274247 10/06/09 12:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I can't match these stories. I have been really lucky with my bones considering the abuse I used to put them through in contact sports and higher risk hobbies. That being said, I have a knee that unless I keep it exercised turns to mush. That was from my last kick at martial arts, both figuratively and literally,

Other than an embarrassing incident as a kid with breaking my pinkie finger in a pool on an air mattress, (Yes that is possible) I have been limited to a couple of hairline fractures. The most recent was a couple of years ago when my sea kayak pitch-poled over while riding an abnormally large wave compared to the rest I was surfing that day. I remember wondering why so much of my bow was starting to submarine under the water so I glanced back over my shoulder to see just how big a wave I caught and immediately thought "Man, I am so dead." I still don't remember hitting my arm but after a couple of days of 'weird' pain, (it hurt when the arm was at rest) x-rays showed the crack.

Perhaps a lifelong love of drinking milk really does pay off.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
pmbuko #274249 10/06/09 12:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
Fortunately, I was in shock almost instantly. It felt as if I was stoned because I couldn't get over how funny my wrist looked so offset from my forearm.

And, you would be able to make this comparison........exactly how?

You can forget about trying to tell us you didn't inhale.

Jack

"People generally quarrel because they cannot argue." - G. K. Chesterton
Ajax #274260 10/06/09 02:27 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I've never broken any bones before, I've had stitches a number of times....twice on the scalp and twice on the forehead. Two times I had stitches from playing baseball, got hit with a thrown bat, and the other was a collision with another player. The others were from a car accident and the very first time I got stitches at the age of 8, I was showing off an a toboggan around Christmas time. I started standing up on the sled like a surfer and the last time I did it, I wiped out halfway down the hill and either hit the front of the sled, or something else and rolled to the bottom of the hill. I remember thinking "hmm, this hurts a little" and then as I sat there, blood started running down my face into the snow and I kind of freaked out and ran home(and freaked out the babysitter).

The car accident, I was rather fortunate. I was running a bit late for work and was heading down to Mississauga very early in the morning(5:30ish) and was flying down one of the sideroads that bypassed Brampton. The road was paved, but rough with cracks and patchwork here and there and a rutted shoulder. So I was doing the better part of 140km hr down this road when a couple of ducks walk out from the grass on the passenger side up ahead a short distance. I immediately pulled sharp to the left, in doing so I still hit one of the birds, but my left side tires caught a rut in the road and I couldn't steer out of it resulting in the back end coming around and sending me back across the road to the right side, through a ditch and knocking down four 8" farm fence posts(one got launched out into the middle of the field). So, what happened was, I had some of my tools in the trunk of my car(this was a new Buick), and they basically flattened the back seat out, and flew through the passenger compartment. Some smashed the front window and others smacked me in the back of the head. When the car came to a rest, I was pretty dazed, but got out and flagged a guy down coming the opposite direction. I got in his car, and no sooner had we driven 1/8th of a mile we noticed a Fire Truck crew had just extinguished a fire on the same road, so he dropped me off with them. One of the firetruck crew had heard the accident and had already radioed in for an ambulance which was on it's way. He told me to sit down on the side of the road and checked my eyes with a flashlight and checked me over as I had blood all over my upper body. He thought I had cut the back of my neck open, in fact the cut was in the back of my head, but I think my shirtline combined with the bleeding made it appear that my neck was cut. The ambulance got there in just a few minutes , whisked me off to emergency where they fixed me up. The $18,000 Buick was damaged beyond repair($13,500 damage). I remember being somewhat paranoid for a couple of months after that incident every time I drove a car, I noticed every leaf blowing across the road after that.

Other stories involve almost drowning at the age of 2, and being born at home with the cord wrapped around my neck. Those I don't remember!

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #274269 10/06/09 03:48 PM
veteran
veteran
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
So I was doing the better part of 140km hr down this road when a couple of ducks walk out from the grass on the passenger side up ahead a short distance........

I remember being somewhat paranoid for a couple of months after that incident every time I drove a car, I noticed every leaf blowing across the road after that.

You can be paranoid if you want and watch for leaves; but driving "the better part of 140km hr down a road" might be the main problem. Just a thought.

Whose avatar should I borrow next?
wilwom #274273 10/06/09 04:00 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Oddest. Thread. Ever.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Page 36 of 48 1 2 34 35 36 37 38 47 48

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics