C
CV Offline OP
Founder, Axiom Upgrade Club
shareholder in the making
OP Offline
C
I think I'm ready to start getting advice on building my new computer. I don't have all of the money yet, but I will over the next few paychecks.

The things I'm pretty set on are that I'll get an Intel Core i7 Extreme processor and 160GB SSD. My friend who works for Intel says that there's a set he can get that includes those two items along with an Intel motherboard for around $1000. I don't know if it's the new P55 motherboard or not. My friend hasn't gotten back to me with the pricing list. Anyway, I know I want the CPU and SSD, but I'm not really sure on what motherboard(s) I should be looking at. Gigabit ethernet and eSATA are important to me. I would like two eSATA ports, if possible, but if that has to be an add-on card, I can live with that. Onboard audio isn't important. I'll use a USB DAC until I can utilize the HDMI audio output of the video card at some point (whenever I get around to purchasing an A/V receiver for my computer).

I imagine I'll only ever run one video card. I figured I'd make it one of the new Radeon cards, since I've been happy with the performance of the one that's a couple generations old.

I was also thinking I'd stick with an Antec case, since I really like the P182SE that I have now. I was thinking P193, but customer comments about not being able to fit bigger aftermarket coolers has me undecided. I definitely want a quiet CPU cooler, so it would be nice to know what my options are. I haven't had good luck with stock fans. Right now, I like the Zalman I'm using. I'm just not sure what will fit right in the P193, or what would be a better case to use. I like the front eSATA port on the P193, though of course I'd need a motherboard that can take advantage of that.

I also thought I'd stick with Corsair for a power supply. I imagine the 850-watt HX model would be a pretty safe bet.

Whatever advice you can give me would be appreciated, especially on motherboard, memory, and CPU coolers. Thanks!

Re: Windows 7 PC Build
CV #274701 10/12/09 04:33 AM
If it's an Extreme, it's an i7-965, which requires X58. I have a Gigabyte X58-UD4P board, and I'm pretty happy with it. It's got gig-E (single port) and 2 eSATA ports that are on a backplate. For a cooler, I would look at a Thermalright Ultra 120 variant, with a Scythe 120mm fan. Doesn't get much quieter than that--and it's damn good cooling, to. Corsair is an excellent choice of PSUs.

Oh btw, that i7-965 is $1000 retail, and the SSD is $500. Lucky stiff...

Last edited by kcarlile; 10/12/09 04:34 AM.

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
Ken.C #274702 10/12/09 04:55 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I've seen that Thermalright mentioned quite a bit. I'll look into that and the Scythe. Your Gigabyte board sounds like a winner.

CV #274705 10/12/09 06:17 AM
For memory, you'll be wanting at least 6 GB of DDR3-1600. That's pretty easy to find tehse days, but I'd stick with Corsair, OCZ, or Crucial. I believe I've got OCZ DDR3-1600 8-8-8 XDR in mine. XDR makes it a little easier to set memory timings, but really, memory latency doesn't make that much of a real world difference.

Ken.C #274709 10/12/09 06:33 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Good to know. I'll probably end up with more than 6 gigs simply because I have 8 in my current machine, so I'll feel the need to outdo myself.

Oh, I was also curious as to what optical drives seem to be the best ones to get these days. CD burning and CD ripping are always important. As far as DVD and Blu-ray go, I'd like to be able to play back both, but I still don't feel the need to burn either format. I'm sure I'll end up with DVD burning just because it'll be included, but yeah, as far as Blu-ray, I'm only interested in playback. And of course, the quieter the drive, the better.

CV #274711 10/12/09 06:35 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
HD DVD playback would be a nice bonus, since I know there are still combo drives out there that will play them, but it's a feature I'd certainly sacrifice for performance/noise reasons.

CV #274714 10/12/09 06:42 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
No one is building HD DVD combo drives any more. They only existed one generation after the format died.

Most optical drives are very quite when run at their 1x speed. It's up to the player software to slow them down for movie playback (most software does).

Plextor used to be the company for optical drives. They've since stopped making their own, and have turned to other OEM and just rebadge. Pioneer is one of those OEMs and now the top dog. I know you said you don't care about burning DVDs/BDs. But you want this drive, you know you do.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #274719 10/12/09 07:33 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
It's not unreasonably priced. I may get a non-Blu-ray drive at first, then add it a little later. We'll see.

CV #274723 10/12/09 03:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: CV

I imagine I'll only ever run one video card. I figured I'd make it one of the new Radeon cards, since I've been happy with the performance of the one that's a couple generations old.

Up until recently had a nVidia EVGA E-GEFORCE 7600 GT PCI-E 256MB VGA DVI-I HDTV Out.

I love the nVidia for performance. After the first few months the fan was making loud noises (failing) so i bought an aftermarket fan (Zalman) and things were good. After the 3 year warranty ended this past June, a month later the capacitors popped. Dead card for 3D (2D will worked ok). I contacted eVGA and complained saying "hey, one month after the warrenty ends i have issues? Come on."
They allowed me to return the vidcard with all parts intact for a replacement equivalent.
Well dammit if i had kept the failed fan from 3 years prior i would've been fine, but i guess i threw it out not having considered a possible returnable product scenario into the future (I could have returned it for a failed fan but really, i would've got another unit with the same crappy fan design so why bother?).

Before that i had Radeon cards, usually All in Wonders (tv tuning).
Fans never failed but the buggy drivers, glitchy performance and crap customer service had me screaming constantly. I know other sites and people use them, love them but i just have had no luck. I vowed never to buy another one again. I put nVidia into two other machines, worked solid.

So after this eVGA died, what did i do?
I was convinced the best price performers were the new Radeon 4000 series compared to what nVidia was selling at the time, so i couldn't bring myself to buy a nVidia. I should have just thrown out the extra $150, but i over analyzed the situation.

Now, i have a Radeon 4850 and the fan is dying, my computer halts on shutdown and occasionally won't come out of standby. Upon reboot i get m/b error beeps indicating a vidcard issue.
Only by powering off the psu for 30 seconds and trying again (sometimes with multiple attempts) does it finally boot normally.
Everything works fine once booted though.
No BSOD, no random reboots, no 3D glitches, etc. However, the fan is failing (the ONE thing that never happened with ATI before but did happen with nVidia cards now seems to be a shared flaw; crappy fans).

So WTF??

I'm going back to nVidia; change out the stock fan and feel better about stability or rather, consistent performance.

Quote:

I also thought I'd stick with Corsair for a power supply. I imagine the 850-watt HX model would be a pretty safe bet.

I love the Corsair HX psu i bought.
Detachable cables.
Quiet fan.
Beefy unit.
Pretty good efficiency (see reviews on Tom's Hardware).

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #274725 10/12/09 03:25 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Chess. Is it driver quirks on the ATI card then? I am looking at one of the new lower end 5 series cards to bitstream bluray in my HTPC. I will probably wait a few months for the [major] bugs to get ironed out though.

I love my Corsair ps. It is unbelievably quiet and the cabling is very nicely wrapped. The only thing that would make my psu nicer is detachable cables so I could remove the uneeded cables. I think they do that in the bigger supplies (mine is only 450W).

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
fredk #274726 10/12/09 03:33 PM
Driver quirks don't cause motherboard beeps. Sounds like a poorly constructed card. Also, if the fan is dying, that could cause many of those errors.

All in all, I'd say that problems with video cards have more to do with the card manufacturers than the GPU makers, barring major driver problems--which I've sen with both the green team and the red team.

fredk #274727 10/12/09 03:34 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: fredk
Chess. Is it driver quirks on the ATI card then? I am looking at one of the new lower end 5 series cards to bitstream bluray in my HTPC. I will probably wait a few months for the [major] bugs to get ironed out though.

Possibly though i have updated drivers twice since having the card and nothing has changed, or possibly a quirk with the BIOS and this particular m/b.
I've never had this issue in the past, though other, similarly baffling things, but only with ATI cards.
Their performance when running is on par with what you read in reviews, but their glitches all around are many.
Searches on the net typically find patches, workarounds, etc. but i ask why i have to do that in the first place.

Quote:

I love my Corsair ps. It is unbelievably quiet and the cabling is very nicely wrapped. The only thing that would make my psu nicer is detachable cables so I could remove the uneeded cables. I think they do that in the bigger supplies (mine is only 450W).

The Corsair HX series all have detachable cables. The power cables are a bit of a stiff plastic sheathing though. I wish it was a bit nicer of material, higher quality, easier to bend.

Ken.C #274728 10/12/09 03:38 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Driver quirks don't cause motherboard beeps. Sounds like a poorly constructed card. Also, if the fan is dying, that could cause many of those errors.

The fan is sounding ugly, but spinning ok.
I will be replacing it soon (have to buy another after market gpu cooler again).
However, on shutdown or standby, driver issues could cause a lock in the vidcard hardware providing such a problem.
That lock could remain through a warm reboot and hence why clearing the problem can only be done through a cold reboot.

But i do agree it is more likely an issue with the hardware (card itself or incompatibility with the system...say m/b or ram).

Quote:
All in all, I'd say that problems with video cards have more to do with the card manufacturers than the GPU makers, barring major driver problems--which I've sen with both the green team and the red team.

True, but i've had ATI cards when the GPU maker WAS the card maker. Like i said, once they get performing the ATI cards perform as expected.
I have just noticed personally more weird glitches with ATI cards than with nVidia.
I think my count for cards goes as such, back to 1998:
2 Matrox
4 ATI (3 Radeons)
4 nvidia

chesseroo #274744 10/12/09 05:01 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My heat sink suggestion goes to the Prolimatech Megahalems. I just installed one for my overclocked Q6600 and it's a beast. It's currently the best cooler on the market-review's below. You could put in a Scythe Slip Stream 120 mm fan on it, or a Scythe Ultra Kaze 120MM High Static Pressure 38MM 3000RPM Fan as I have done (better performance but louder). It also fits in my Antec 900.

Review

Review

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #274750 10/12/09 05:51 PM
axiomite
axiomite

chesseroo #274774 10/12/09 09:52 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Is the Corsair still a rebadged Seasonic?

I like these guys for HTPC parts reviews.

Fred

-------
fredk #274783 10/12/09 11:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I've seen the SilentPC site but their reviews i find are few and far in between.
They have some great tips on silencing issues though that i've used on my system.

Next two major changes towards silence include adding a water cooled system but using a quiet, slower pump not really for high end overclocking (e.g. the Zalman Reserator).

Second, moving to SSD for storage.

The two loudest components in my system are:
CPU fan (just using stock for now)
HD data seeking and platter spin

Otherwise my comp is almost dead quiet.

chesseroo #274784 10/13/09 12:01 AM
I've not been impressed with Zalman products in the past, I have to say. They're almost never as silent as everyone claims, since the silence comes at the expense of heat. And even when it's making noise, they still don't seem to cool all that well.

Ya_basta #274809 10/13/09 05:52 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Cam, the Prolimatech Megahalems sounds pretty cool. It may be the way to go, but there's definitely no way it would fit in the Antec P193 case I was looking at. Does anyone know of a quiet case that is roomy enough for a cooler like this, as well as whatever giant video card I end up with?

Ken.C #274810 10/13/09 06:35 AM
axiomite
axiomite
I've not been impressed with Zalman products in the past, I have to say. They're almost never as silent as everyone claims, since the silence comes at the expense of heat. And even when it's making noise, they still don't seem to cool all that well.

Thats what I like about silentpcreview. They may not review often, but when they do, they provide lots of quantitative data.

Fred

-------
fredk #274818 10/13/09 12:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Sounds like you are in for a fun project. There is nothing like the first few seconds of anticipation before you turn on the power for the first time. Will it work, or did that wire belong on pins 3&4 instead of 4&5?

Then the bliss as you don't smell smoke.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
CV #274842 10/13/09 04:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Cam, the Prolimatech Megahalems sounds pretty cool. It may be the way to go, but there's definitely no way it would fit in the Antec P193 case I was looking at. Does anyone know of a quiet case that is roomy enough for a cooler like this, as well as whatever giant video card I end up with?

Charles, the width of the P193 is identical to that of my Antec 900 so it will fit. Also, this guy has the P193 and Prolimatech Megahalems.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #274845 10/13/09 05:03 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Are you sure he didn't have to modify it? From all of the comments I was reading, the mobo tray is elevated, and the fan on the side intrudes into the case a bit, giving a maximum of around 140mm for a CPU cooler, where the Megalahems are at 158mm?

CV #274856 10/13/09 06:00 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I will message him, I am a member of that site.

fredk #274863 10/13/09 06:32 PM
axiomite
axiomite
ATI is making some great new GPUs at wicked price points. They are not the rock stars their $800 dollar+, top of the line cards are but for starting at $160, they are pretty wicked at that price point..

I had trouble finding a review that actually tested more than playing a video game or two but Tom's hardware is always good for the latest hardware reviews and providing the bad with the good.

ATI Radeon HD5770 and 5750

Caveat: I haven't seriously compared cards in a couple of yyears, I just happened to see the specs on these somewhere and was surprised by the price point.

Murph #274873 10/13/09 07:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Unfortunately I'm not a member of that site, but I did find another post here , by the same person. If you read through, someone inquires about the heatsink in that case and he says that there is about 2 mm of space. It's also an extremely tight fit in my case; millimeters as he is saying.

I have called Antec a couple times and their customer service is pretty decent. You could always give them a call and inquire, it's your safest bet.

Last edited by wheelz999; 10/13/09 07:47 PM.

Ken.C #274903 10/13/09 11:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite

Some of their products have been hit and miss, i agree. Stick with the reviews though and find the gems that really work well.
The Zalman CNPS####X... (dumb long and incomprehensible item labels) copper fin cpu heatsink was a huge contender for best, most quiet HSF for some time. Granted the thing was the size of a Chinese water lily and weighed as much as my dog's lower torso, but one didn't need a high speed fan to dissipate heat.
It was a good design which oddly didn't work so well with some of their other product iterations.

chesseroo #275006 10/14/09 08:03 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Chris (Club Neon) walked me through my first full computer build. Many long work days later, it keeps ripping without a flaw. (Just knocked on wood!) It screams, is stable, and runs semi-intense CAD/CAM/FEA 2d/3d without a hickup.

Vital Stats:
SuperMicro Barebone Tower/4U S-1366 for i7 CPUs (Good layout, but short wires on optical drive section.)
Radeon HD 4870x2 2GB GDDR5 (Screams, but make sure you have enough power for it.)
Intel 920 i7 CPU (Great chip, check Tom's Hardware to see it keeps up with many of the overclocked models in real world tests.)
12 GB RAM (4x4x4) (Keep the tripple memory path in mind when budgeting - can't do 8 easily.)
Vista Ultimate 64-bit
4 TB Seagate Cuda Drives (Raid 1 x 2) [Suitably fast and big so far - and cheap now!)
2 23" Samsung LCDs (Too damn wide, but good for most applics.)
850 Watt Power supply (Lacked on 8 pin needed for the beast from Radeon! Made for a pain in the arse.)
Pioneer Blu-Ray burner (Plays BR movies smoth, and burns disks fast.)
Wacom Intuos4 graphics tablet (Cool!)
6 or 7 cooling fans (better have a good A/C path as the heat from this beast is a factor in a small office.)
Oh, and a Lexmark X9575 Wireless MFP - which kinda sucks for the price.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Zimm #275013 10/14/09 08:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That's a really nice build Zimm. What speed is your CPU running at, and is it stock or have you overclocked yet?

Ya_basta #275046 10/15/09 03:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Question:

My current desktop is 2-3 years and is pretty basic, but does what I need it to and runs pretty smooth. It currently is running window xp. Should I consider upgrading to windows 7 (it will be free through my school)

My computer is an 800 mhz pentium4 3.2 GHz processor, 4 GB of ram, and a built in 256 MB intel graphics media accelerator video card.

My wifes laptop is running vista and is about a year old. It also has 4 gigs of ram (I think.. maybe only 3 I'd have to check), a similar built in video card, but has a faster core 2 duo 2.something GHz processor. Perhaps I should put Windows 7 on this guy?

Any comments from anyone who ran windows 7 in beta mode and can compare it to vista or xp out there? Based on my computer specs would you suggest an OS upgrade?

-David
terzaghi #275060 10/15/09 12:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I haven't looked into Windows 7 a whole lot yet but I believe I will convert my PC. Like you, XP is still doing everything it needs to do for me. However, after skipping Vista, I'm just craving to try a new interface. In any case, here is one thought that came to mind from your listed specs.

Not a deal breaker unless you need it but if your wife's laptop does indeed have 4GB, not 3, then hers will run the 64 bit version of Windows 7 because of her core 2 duo processor. That may or may not inspire her. Certain apps like Flash in the 64 bit browser are not working yet but I expect you could still use an old browser and this similar cure would probably suffice for any other compatibility issues. She would also be able to add more memory (assuming her MB allows for it) and actually utilize it for performance gains it because the 4GB barrier will be broken.

Either way, I wouldn't panic to load Windows 7 as you appear to be still happy with XP. In a year or two, you may need a new PC and it will undoubtedly come loaded with 7. That being said, if I got a copy for free, I'd be unable to resist loading it on something.

Murph #275063 10/15/09 12:58 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yeah, I only get one copy and if I use it I must decide which computer to put it on. I'm leaning towards the laptop, but my wife says she hasn't even "gotten used to" vista so hates to upgrade.. it seems like the interface is pretty similar so maybe she wouldn't have a problem at all.

It may be 3-6 months before my school offers windows 7 for free anyway...

-David
Ya_basta #275098 10/15/09 08:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: wheelz999
That's a really nice build Zimm. What speed is your CPU running at, and is it stock or have you overclocked yet?

I have not overclocked it because I need it rock solid stable; and it is plenty fast for me as I have never had to wait for it. But I think it is 2.66Ghz, could be wrong.

Panny 3000 PJ, 118" Carada, Denon 3300, PS3, Axiom QS8, PSB 5T, B&W sub, levitating speaker wire
Zimm #275125 10/15/09 11:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
David, I highly recommend Windows 7. I've been using it for maybe three months now in a dual boot setup with XP as my other OS, and I haven't booted back into XP; I like it that much more. It's a very user friendly operating system, and I haven't had any problems with a yet.

To give you an idea of my specs, I have a core two quad Q6600 overclock to 3.2 GHz and sometimes 3.6 GHz (stable passing prime, OCCT, and 20 tests of "maximum" IBT,), with 4 GB of ram.

Ya_basta #275132 10/16/09 01:54 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I beta tested Windows 7 too and really liked it compared to XP. I would consider the upgrade for any computer I owned, but not for my wife. She's more of a creature of habit and probably wouldn't appreciate the improvements. She'd just be annoyed with the change.

I ended up getting impatient in the interim and built a system on Vista x64, so I'm a bit leery of running an upgrade to Windows 7 just because an upgrade never seems to be as reliable as a clean OS install, and I'm not willing to do that at this point because the pain of reinstalling everything would be too time-consuming.

Regarding SSD & Windows 7, to the OP, if it's just the idea/cool/geek factor of SSD that you like, more power to you and you have my envy. If you're really looking for huge and noticeable performance boots in everyday tasks, I'm not convinced from everything that I've read that it really will deliver a huge difference versus the extra cost you pay for the disk, even with Win 7's enhanced focus on SSD devices.

Obviously, that's just my opinion, but when I built my system ~6 months ago, I could not justify the price premium. Though maybe a lot has changed in 6 months. I haven't kept up with it as much since then.

I ended up with an Intel i7 920 (2.66 ghz, running stock), MSI X58 Platinum SLI LGA 1366 mobo, 4x1TB HDD, 6GB Patriot DDR3 1600, GIGABYTE GV-R485MC-1GI for the graphics card. I also picked up a combo Blu-Ray/HD combo drive from LG as it was very cheap at the time.

The graphics card I chose because it was one of the few (only?) reasonably capable cards that was fanless, and my primary requirement was silence vs. major gaming performance since I use it primarily for office/video editing rather than for major gaming.

Incidentally, I've recently started ripping Blu-Ray disks and streaming them to my PS3 from my hard drive over the network (using Twonky). I am still amazed that I can stream those videos with absolutely no distinguishable difference from the original disks. The rips do take up a lot of space (15-25 GB / movie), but for having your favorite movies at your fingertips without the need to insert disks, it's very cool.

Jason

Epic 80-800: HG Cherry
myrison #275144 10/16/09 02:55 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Myrison,

Can you stream the HD surround sound formats with no problem?

-David
myrison #275148 10/16/09 04:19 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
 Originally Posted By: myrison
Regarding SSD & Windows 7, to the OP, if it's just the idea/cool/geek factor of SSD that you like, more power to you and you have my envy. If you're really looking for huge and noticeable performance boots in everyday tasks, I'm not convinced from everything that I've read that it really will deliver a huge difference versus the extra cost you pay for the disk, even with Win 7's enhanced focus on SSD devices.

Nice to see you around, Jason. \:\)

SSDs are getting cheaper, and I'm also buying it at a discount. Yes, it's still more expensive than a normal hard drive, but besides the performance gains, I'm sure I'll appreciate the silence and low power consumption.

As for video card, I imagine I'll go for one of the new DirectX 11 cards. It would be so nice to go fanless, but I doubt I'll have the option. We'll see. Who knows. In the end I might go for something from the last generation with the plan to upgrade it when there are more options available.

That's great to hear about ripping Blu-rays. I would love to do that at some point, but I'm not to the point of really looking into it.

CV #275171 10/16/09 01:19 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hey Charles, good to hear from you too.

David, to your question, no, the PS3 can only stream 5.1 AC3 [at least as far as I can figure out], so I convert the audio from whatever the original format is to AC-3. I honestly can't tell a difference, though I haven't done a ton of testing yet. At some point I might do a blind A/B test to see if I really can tell the difference, but for now I'm really just playing with it.

For Blu-Rays that I listen to often, it's nice to have them available at the click of a button without getting up to change disks (especially for music/concert Blu-Rays. The one other downside to streaming them is that the chapter markers do not remain in the streamed versions, so even though the PS3 can FF at 120x speeds, it's a little annoying compared to just dialing up the chapter you want.

Jason

myrison #275182 10/16/09 02:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You've figured out correctly. The PS3 can only do AC3 in streamed or from USB media. It takes a disc (AVCHD or Blu-ray) to put the PS3 into the other player mode which supports DTS and other lossless codecs.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #277105 10/31/09 11:34 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
If I do go with the Antec P193 case, I probably won't go for such a huge CPU cooler, just to be on the safe side. What are my options? I'm not really looking to overclock, anyway, so I just need something that performs well enough for the i7-975 processor. What's quiet and not too big?

CV #277109 11/01/09 01:06 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Something like the Ninja mini would probably work well for you.

Fred

-------
fredk #277110 11/01/09 01:14 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
That looks cool, but it doesn't seem to be compatible with the CPU I'm getting. Scythe definitely has enough other options, though. I'll probably go with that brand unless someone comes along to make me doubt my choice.

CV #277119 11/01/09 03:24 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Some reading for you in case you have a shortage of candidates for your chosen build.

Fred

-------
fredk #277126 11/01/09 04:22 AM
There's also a number of good Thermalright models out there. They're not as huge as a Megahalem, and they perform as well or better, depending on which one you get and what fan you slap on it.

CV #277131 11/01/09 06:03 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If you're not planning to over-clock, just go with the manufacturer's heatsink. That's all I've ever used. Either the one included with the CPU for desktop machines, or in the case of Supermicro's workstation/server barebones, the included heatsink.

What ever Intel/AMD includes with their chips is good enough to cool them by design. Although I do usually clean off their thermal compound and go with Arctic Silver 5, just because it is easier to work with, and does seem to help cool a bit more.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
fredk #277132 11/01/09 06:06 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks, Fred. Thanks, Ken.

ClubNeon #277133 11/01/09 06:08 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Chris, I suppose I'll try Intel's stock cooler first, but I wasn't impressed at all with the one that came with my Q9650. It was quite a bit louder than the Zalman that replaced it. Thanks for the tip on the thermal compound.

CV #277141 11/01/09 06:28 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Well, I submitted an information request to Antec about using the Prolima Megahalems with their P193, but it gave me no confirmation of my request, so I guess we'll see if it actually went through as the time passes.

CV #277146 11/01/09 01:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
If I do go with the Antec P193 case, I probably won't go for such a huge CPU cooler, just to be on the safe side. What are my options? I'm not really looking to overclock, anyway, so I just need something that performs well enough for the i7-975 processor. What's quiet and not too big?

Charles - this is the one I picked up. I use it with my i7 920 (Noctua NH-U12P)

I also do not overclock, but the noise level of the stock Intel fans drove me nuts. The Noctua may not qualify as small, but if it fits in your case, I can tell you that it is truly "whisper quiet" as they advertise and it dropped my average running temperature by ~5-6 Celsius. It's fairly expensive but does a very nice job.

myrison #277147 11/01/09 01:24 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I've seen Noctua mentioned at various sites. Good to know that it's as quiet as they say and performs well. It seems to be right at the same height as the Megahalems, though. Less than a mm of difference.

CV #277151 11/01/09 02:21 PM
axiomite
axiomite
CV. The site I linked to has forums where you can ask questions about stuff like this. Unless its a very new case, someone there can probably tell you if it will fit.

Fred

-------
fredk #277172 11/01/09 04:56 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
But then I'd be cheating on the Axiom forums. Am I really cool enough to pull it off? \:D

CV #277187 11/01/09 07:08 PM
axiomite
axiomite
But it would be twice the sausage fest...

Fred

-------
fredk #277192 11/01/09 07:40 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
\:D

CV #277229 11/02/09 01:27 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Chris, I suppose I'll try Intel's stock cooler first, but I wasn't impressed at all with the one that came with my Q9650. It was quite a bit louder than the Zalman that replaced it. Thanks for the tip on the thermal compound.

That's what I'd do. Not worry about finding an aftermarket to fit right away. See how you like the factory model. That'll also give you time to track down one that fits, and have first hand measurements of how much space you have to work with.

Get some AcrtiClean too, that'll make clean up after removing any heatsink much easier.

Got my release version of Win7 up and running today. Only took 6 hours to get the machine to have enough software installed to be usable. You know I have over 10,000 photos which take up 27 GB?

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #277243 11/02/09 03:41 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Chris. Does Intel provice better stock coolers with their more expensive cpus?

While I am very impressed with the stock cooler on my AMD, the Celeron I use for surfing makes a huge racket.

Fred

-------
fredk #277244 11/02/09 03:46 AM
They do, generally.

Ken.C #277248 11/02/09 03:55 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Know what? I've never bought a Celeron. I'll have to defer on this one.

I will say that I hate Intel's current idea for heatsink retention. Those press-to-spread clips. They're worthless. AMD's screwed down heatsinks can't be beat on the other hand.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #277250 11/02/09 04:00 AM
Heh. In the interest of full disclosure, I've never bought a celeron either. And my Core i7 is the only Intel I've ever owned. The stock HSF never came out of the box. \:\)

ClubNeon #277251 11/02/09 04:01 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Fred, if when you said "better" you meant quieter, I'd say no. If you meant more effective at keeping cool, not sure as I immediately dumped mine for something different.

About 4 months ago I replaced a ~3 year old AMD dual core processor with an Intel i7 920 and remember thinking the Intel's fan sounded like a helicopter when I installed it. I believe I'm more sensitive to noise in my PC than average, but it really was loud. I knew the minute I turned it on I would have to replace it with something quieter.

Jason

myrison #277282 11/02/09 12:52 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The fan that came with my Intel Core II Duo when I built a good while ago is definitely the loudest thing in my box.

Quiet a statement considering I have a 10" fan built into a side panel. It performs nicely though. Especially now that it is using the full amount of 8GB of RAM that I salvaged from my Uncle's 'tossed aside' PC, thanks to Windows 7's 64 bit mode that actually works with things.

Murph #277284 11/02/09 01:17 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Jason. I'm not an over-clocker, so better=quieter.

Quote:
thanks to Windows 7's 64 bit mode that actually works with things.

So there is actually decent driver support for Windows 7 64 bit? I wanted to go 64 bit with vista, but the driver support just wasn't there yet.

Fred

-------
fredk #277288 11/02/09 03:02 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: fredk
So there is actually decent driver support for Windows 7 64 bit? I wanted to go 64 bit with vista, but the driver support just wasn't there yet.

When Vista first shipped, there was indeed a shortage of 64-bit drivers, but that was 3 years ago. In that time every manufacturer started shipping proper drivers. So unless you've got some really old piece of equipment there shouldn't be a problem. Especially if you're building a new machine, there's absolutely nothing to worry about.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
fredk #277291 11/02/09 03:16 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The install process seems to automatically go retrieve the latest 'tested' drivers right from the common peripheral companies themselves.

After my fresh install to a clean drive, it already had downloaded the latest nVidia drivers and even extra software for my graphics card, my two monitors worked(and it immediately ran in the highest rez possible on both without me tweaking it,) the drivers and extra software for my web cam mysteriously appeared, my USB hard drive worked, USB flash memory worked, sound card worked, Cannon camera synced..... Everything worked with zero effort on my part.

Software wise, no problems with anything I have loaded so far.
- MS Office
- MS Visio
- Firefox (Note: Not a bug but Firefox tabs don't show as separate previews when you hover over the icon like the new Explorer does. I'm sure they will add the feature later.)

- Loaded Avast's 64 bit compatible anti-virus. Works great. Already saved my azz from a mistyped URL taking me to an infected web page.

- Just using MS firewall, for now.
- Plugged in my Zune and it automatically downloaded a 64 bit version of it's software.
- iTunes worked. (Had to reauthorize PC due to clean install.)

Perhaps most importantly, Everquest II works fine. In fact it's way better than ever now that it can use all 8 MB of RAM. Zoning is almost instantaneous now compared to before.

Only slight issue so far is that when I load my iGoogle home screen in 64bit Explorer, the gmail widget works but the hotmail one won't load. Works fine in 32bit Explorer or Firefox though and of course the actual hotmail web page is fine. So, pretty insignificant at this point.

However.... I should add that the new email client, "MSN Live Mail", allowed me to consolidate my I'net providers POP email, my Hotmail, and my gMail all into one. Very nice. You can see all unread emails in one convenient list, regardless of what type of mailbox it arrived in.

I'm sure there must be some leftovers but they sure seemed to have gotten 64 bit perfected compared to Vista, for sure.

Murph #277292 11/02/09 03:35 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Thanks gents. It was 2 years ago that I built my HTPC and drivers were still an issue then.

Hmm... I could upgrade to Windows 7 and pop some 2 gig sticks into my HTPC.

Fred

-------
Murph #277293 11/02/09 03:35 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Murph
Firefox (Note: Not a bug but Firefox tabs don't show as separate previews when you hover over the icon like the new Explorer does. I'm sure they will add the feature later.)

I hope not. That's the only thing that really locked up my computer: having about 20 tabs open in IE, and then hovering over the task bar. I hardly use IE, but have made sure to turn that off now.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
Murph #277360 11/02/09 09:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
- Loaded Avast's 64 bit compatible anti-virus. Works great. Already saved my azz from a mistyped URL taking me to an infected web page.

Hate those mistyped URLs. I generally blame it on the booze, but bad typing is a good excuse.

That reminds me of the funniest URL issue I have seen. Check out these two sites; one pure business, the other, an old business: www.southcoastangelfund.com , not www.southcoastangles.com

CV #277410 11/03/09 05:28 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Well, I submitted an information request to Antec about using the Prolima Megahalems with their P193, but it gave me no confirmation of my request, so I guess we'll see if it actually went through as the time passes.

Well, here's their response:

Originally Posted By: Antec Support
Comment: Hi,

It's a 6.2 inches thermal module. It's really too high for the case.
If it's around 6 inches...then okay.

Thank you
antec support!

I do like how excited they are to be Antec Support.

CV #277445 11/03/09 02:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Speaking of PC builds, yesterday I replaced my aging hard drive with a new 128GB SSD drive from Crucial (their M225 line).

For those of you who have never run their OS from an SSD before, it is an immediate and amazing change. My entire boot process from POST completion to Win7 login page is around 30 seconds (changed from about 90). However, that is just the beginning... From the time I type my password in and hit enter until Windows has completely loaded, including all of my startup programs (dozens), it takes FOUR seconds. Yes, FOUR. (this was easily a 90-120 second process before the upgrade)

On top of fabulously fast start up times, application use is also screaming fast. Excel, Word, Outlook, Firefox, etc. all open immediately after clicking the icon. (i.e. no loading bar, no delay. It is immediate)

I'm not sure I can go so far to say that the upgrade is worth what the drives cost right now, but if you are a computer geek (you're reading this thread, so you're probably dangerously close at the very least) and don't mind spending a bit more to get the newest technology, it is a very fun upgrade that you will immediately notice.

Happy Shopping. \:\)

Jason

myrison #277450 11/03/09 02:38 PM
Excuse my ignorance....

Aren't faster drives (10K and 15K) less reliable?

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #277452 11/03/09 02:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
An SSD or Solid State Drive is all electronic flash memory so no whirling disks and rpm speeds to worry about. That is why they are much faster. At this point though, all you worry about is your wallet. Hopefully they will get cheaper as time goes by.

MarkSJohnson #277454 11/03/09 03:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
Excuse my ignorance....

Aren't faster drives (10K and 15K) less reliable?

Murph is right that spin speed isn't applicable with SSD, but to answer your question, I hadn't heard that about 10k/15k drives. I work for a managed hosting company and the only thing we use are 10k drives or faster. (though maybe enterprise class drives don't have the same problems you've heard about with consumer grade drives).

Either way, just get an SSD and you don't have to worry about it. \:\)

myrison #277456 11/03/09 03:48 PM
Not as far as I know. Pretty much all SAS and SCSI server drives are 10 or 15K, and they're far more reliable than the 7200 and 5400 RPM SATA disks out there. I don't know if the 10K SATA disks are more or less reliable than the 7200RPM ones.

Ken.C #277458 11/03/09 03:49 PM
If you get the right SSD, if it doesn't get slower with time, if it doesn't erase all your data when you do a firmware upgrade...

myrison #277460 11/03/09 04:07 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
My RAID1 15k SAS drives get me to the Win7 login screen in under 30 seconds also. The rest of your performance numbers are very much in line with what I see too.

As for 10/15k drives being less reliable, I've not found that to be true. But then again, I've always installed them with plenty of breathing room, and multiple fans blowing over them. That's just how server-class chassis are built. Although I had one 15k drive running on my desk with no fan, and just about burned myself when I touched it. They do get hot if not properly cooled. But SCSI/SAS drives have better warranties than SATA; I don't think drive makers would be taking the loss of longer coverage if they were more prone to failure.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #277461 11/03/09 04:09 PM
Interesting about the drive lifespan...and I didn't realize that an SSD was solid state....

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #277463 11/03/09 04:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
While on the subject of these 2.5" SSDs. Has anyone here seen a 2.5" to 3.5" adapter bracket, which would allow the 2.5" drive to be used in a 3.5" hotswap sled? The problem with all the adapter kits I've seen is they center the 2.5" drive in the bay. That's not a problem when running wires to the drive, but it is when plugging it into a fixed backplane. The data/power connectors on a 2.5" drive are the same distance from the edge as with the 3.5" models. So a proper adapter would only extend the side of the drive farthest away from the connectors.

I have blade servers which I'd love to remove all the moving parts from, but since they have 3.5" hotswap bays I'm left with using spinning disks, because that's all I can mount. ... I should probably just make them netboot anyway, because all their data is stored on an iSCSI server, and the boot drive would be useless if that machine wasn't available.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
CV #280628 11/26/09 05:53 PM
axiomite
axiomite
If you think USB 3.0 will be a need for you in the near future. Here is the first motherboard I have seen that has USB 3.0 with a pretty decent spec sheet to match. At least one that currently available.

Asus MB with USB 3.0

Murph #280640 11/26/09 09:50 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hey, I was hoping some USB 3.0 mobos would hit before I got around to buying one. Thanks for the link.

CV #282482 12/15/09 07:35 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
My friend was finally able to get one of the 160 GB Intel SSDs, so now I'll really have to start getting the rest of the pieces of the system. I'm still unsure what I'm doing for motherboard, but it'll probably be a month or so before I buy one, so I have time.

CV #282499 12/15/09 02:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'm curious to find out if the 4 GPU support of the 4, 16x PCIe 2.0 slots on this board includes the use of 2-chip cards. The GeForce GTX 295 claims to support Quad-SLI.

I'm going to see if I can get one set up at work. Supermicro does have a barebones config with a very nice case and a 1400 Watt PS.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #282518 12/15/09 06:31 PM
I'm sure it will do quad-SLI, but it sure ain't gonna do octo-SLI.

Ken.C #282537 12/15/09 07:53 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Oh, I see. When nVidia says, "Quad SLI", they mean dual, dual GPU boards. As up until now there's not been motherboards with 4, 16x PCIe slots.

But their SLI 2.0 spec does support 8+ GPUs. Wish I could find out if someone has tried this yet.

EDIT: Anyway, it doesn't matter for what I want to do. I'm looking for video compression using CUDA, not SLI for gaming. CUDA is fully supported on as many GPUs as you can get into a machine (found a mention of 12, and actual implementations of 8 GPUs: http://estoniadonates.wordpress.com/our-supercomputer/ ).

Last edited by ClubNeon; 12/15/09 08:15 PM.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #282540 12/15/09 08:14 PM
Oh, there's definitely been boards out there--just not ones that would take 4 dual slot cards... Several of the high end X58 boards have 4 x16 slots (admittedly not electrical, but at least x8 for each).

Ken.C #282542 12/15/09 08:21 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
See my edit above, if you haven't yet. But yeah, this board has enough room for dual-slot cards, and as the specs say: 4 PCI-e 2.0 x16, 2 PCI-e 2.0 x4 (in x8 slot), & 1 PCI slot (The x4 and old PCI get covered up when using 4 dual-slot cards though.)

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #282544 12/15/09 08:33 PM
Now it makes sense! Hell, I don't know if there's a limit on CUDA.

Theoretically, I would guess that you can wedge 6 x16 slots on a board; probably not at x16 bandwidth or anything close, and you'd have to have water cooling or something, but it should work.

Ken.C #282577 12/16/09 01:44 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Gawd, you guys are inspiring.

Or scary. I can't decide.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #282755 12/17/09 03:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Just have another beer Tom. Then after five or six, Google a tech blog and start randomly quoting it. That's what i do on audio forums.

Wait. What? Which forum am I on? DOH!!!!

Murph #282758 12/17/09 03:29 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Just showed up on a tech news site yesterday, a 13-GPU system: http://www.dvhardware.net/articles25_fastra_2_desktop_supercomputer.html

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #282774 12/17/09 04:56 PM
J
J
13, tis bad luck. I would keep an eye on that system. \:\)

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #282782 12/17/09 05:43 PM
That's a really cool system.

Ken.C #282784 12/17/09 05:48 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
That's a really cool system.

Or really hot?

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #282785 12/17/09 05:50 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
It'll sound better to you if it's cool.

CV #282916 12/18/09 03:47 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Not according to Alan. But Fred will agree with you. See some other thread I am too lazy to link.

Murph #282918 12/18/09 03:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I believe Charles was making reference to that thread. Maybe you should go back to sleep.

Additional: Other than making stupid cross-thread references. In the next week or so, I'm going to be upgrading my dual, Quad-Core machine with 16 GB of 667 MHz DDR2, to a dual, Six-Core with 32 GB of 800 MHz DDR2 (ECC, Registered).

Last edited by ClubNeon; 12/18/09 04:08 PM.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #283378 12/22/09 06:50 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'm excited. I got my Intel 160GB SSD in the mail today, and I just ordered my Antec P193 case. Next will be power supply, then optical drive, memory, motherboard, and video card. I'll need fresh advice on the last three when the time comes.

Chris, be sure to let us know how the upgrading goes.

Murph #283747 12/25/09 03:39 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C

I am leaning toward that one at this point.

Also, I got my Antec P193 case yesterday, as well as my optical drive. Not a Blu-ray drive, but I'll get one of those a little later. I love the case so far. We'll see if I still love it after I try to cram it full of the rest of the goodies. The huge fan on the side makes me chortle.

CV #283870 12/26/09 06:46 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I haven't looked at Asus boards for a while, but doing a little research, that's the one to get. The only reason I don't go with Asus, it they make excellent gamer boards, with some of the safest, and most tweakable over-clocking features. I don't game (on the PC), and I don't over-clock. Plus I want more work-station class features like SAS, and FireWire. Were it not for that Asus would be at the top of my list.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #284029 12/28/09 08:10 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'm doing more gaming on my PC, but I seem to be able to run the games I'm playing at this monitor's full resolution (1920x1200) with full detail at acceptable frame rates on my current computer. It's got a Radeon HD 4850, which certainly isn't top-of-the-line. I figure I'll stay in the middle of the road as far as video card. I'm thinking I'll go with a 5770 for my new build, for the DirectX 11 support as well as HD audio over HDMI. If physics processing starts meaning more, maybe I'll go back to Nvidia at some point.

CV #284048 12/28/09 03:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Feels strange to pair an AMD GPU wtih an Intel CPU, but nVidia has lagged behind in the DX11, and HDMI audio support. If I were building a computer today I wouldn't go without either. -- But I also always use AMD CPUs.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
CV #284049 12/28/09 03:11 PM
5770 is pretty much the same as a 4870, which isn't that much faster than a 4850. Go with a 5850 (if you can find one) or, if Nvidia ever gets around to releasing it, their latest.

Ken.C #284055 12/28/09 05:35 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
5850 is a significant jump in price. How would two 5770s compare against one 5850? I figured I'd start with one 5770 and get another if I really feel the need, but most likely I would get the single 5770 and then get a bigger step up later on when there's more to choose from.

CV #284057 12/28/09 05:54 PM
Oh, I know it is--there's a reason I haven't bought one yet.

I'm not sure about the 5770s in crossfire--I'd have a look at anandtech.com and techreport.com for info on that. Crossfire's still something of a limited tech, though.

Ken.C #284059 12/28/09 06:02 PM
Hunh. Actually looks like the 5770 might be a bigger jump over the 4850 than I thought, and CF scores look really good at first glance.

Ken.C #284063 12/28/09 06:15 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Good news. Of course, there's still time before I get the video card. I figure that will be the last piece I buy.

CV #284065 12/28/09 06:17 PM
J
J
Would you stop posting! How am I supposed to catch you let alone pass you!!!! ;\)

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #284066 12/28/09 06:22 PM
Do as I do, grasshoppa. Never edit, always post again.

Oh wait, sometimes I edit.

Last edited by kcarlile; 12/28/09 06:22 PM.

jakewash #284070 12/28/09 07:08 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
Would you stop posting! How am I supposed to catch you let alone pass you!!!! ;\)

Stop giving me reasons to respond! Ha ha.

CV #284087 12/28/09 09:08 PM
If you respond to this, I just don't know what I'm going to do to you.

pmbuko #284088 12/28/09 09:16 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Crossfire technology has come a long way over the las couple of years. You can expect to get an 80% improvement in most games. I have two HD5850s, but only one in each of my PCs. I was lucky enough to get them when they first came out for $259 each, and they are head and shoulders above my old 8800GT (anywhere from 2x to 3x faster). Plus I was able to overclock each card by about 25%. The new ATI series of cards are really nice.

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7
SRoode #284115 12/28/09 11:16 PM
 Originally Posted By: SRoode
I was lucky smart enough to get them when they first came out for $259 each

SRoode #284187 12/29/09 05:41 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Plus I was able to overclock each card by about 25%.

Did you replace the stock coolers to accomplish this? I think I'd be interested in replacing the stock fans for noise, if nothing else, but I've never done it on a video card.

CV #284203 12/29/09 08:01 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Aftermarket coolers for video cards most of the time seem to be generic, with multiple mounting holes where you're just supposed to find the right spacing that'll fit your card. I prefer something that's a little more tailored to a specific model.

Just something to watch out for when doing your shopping.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #284205 12/29/09 08:09 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the heads-up.

CV #284259 12/29/09 04:51 PM
The batmobile coolers on the new 58x0 series (and some 5770s) are supposed to be quite good.

And they look way cooler than most aftermarket coolers I've seen--I hate to admit it, but that's part of the reason I want a 5870...

Last edited by kcarlile; 12/29/09 04:52 PM.

Ken.C #284268 12/29/09 05:21 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Good to know. I hadn't really paid any attention to comments on the stock coolers of current video cards.

CV #284274 12/29/09 05:26 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Plus I was able to overclock each card by about 25%.

Did you replace the stock coolers to accomplish this? I think I'd be interested in replacing the stock fans for noise, if nothing else, but I've never done it on a video card.

Nope, just the standard cooler. They are actually quite good on this series. To get the 25% overclock (900 MHz), I had to bring the voltage up a bit to 1.15V. At this speed and voltage, I have the fan set to run at about 35% until the crad hits 60C, then it ramps up to about 55%. At 35% it is pretty quiet. At 55%, it is not so quiet, but the card is under load at this point so the sound of gaming drowns out the fan \:\)

At idle, the card is 52C with the overclock.

LFR1100 Actives,QS10HPx2,QS8x2,EP800,M3x4,M3x2 (Wood),M5HPx2 (Wood),AxiomAir,ADA1500-8,ADA1500-7
Ken.C #284343 12/29/09 08:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
The batmobile coolers on the new 58x0 series (and some 5770s) are supposed to be quite good.

And they look way cooler than most aftermarket coolers I've seen--I hate to admit it, but that's part of the reason I want a 5870...

I just bought an eVGA nvidia 260 (core 216) to replace an ATI 4850.
The ATI has a brutally loud fan. The eVGA does much better even under load, though i am considering getting something other than the stock fan. I replaced the fan on a previous 9600 GT card with a large passive Zalman; no noise and the card worked perfectly fine, though no overclocking was ever attempted.
GPU temps stayed below 60C.

chesseroo #284358 12/29/09 09:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Figured I'd post this here just in case you run into a similar situation during your build.

Since I'm about to cram 4 more CPU cores into the same case I'm running now (going from 8 to 12 cores) I figured I'd better finally do something about my cooling. My machine starts out fine after it's been off for an hour, but after a while the fans start running fast and faster. Basically it seems to be heat soaking. In an effort from Supermicro to keep the case quite, they didn't put an exhaust fan on the rear, but instead lined the front of the case with 4 intake fans, and provided a air shroud to move the air over the passive CPU heat sinks. The problem is, I put a Tyan board in the Supermicro case. So the shroud the included didn't line up with anything. So I put fans on each of my CPUs, but they just get the heat up into the case, not out. There's an optional rear fan from Supermicro, but it's a 4-pin PWM fan--it's an odd size, and a standard fan won't fit. The problem comes up that I don't have any more PWM headers on my board.

I had theorized that providing the power to the fan, along with splitting the PWM lead would allow to fans to be run from one header--the RPM monitor should only be connected from one fan (else a 2x reading would be returned). I just now found a company which makes just what I needed the Ak-CB002. This allows one 4-pin PWM header to be still connected to the fan to be monitored (like the CPU fan), in addition two more fans get the same speed setting from the split PWM lead. And as to not tax the somewhat fragile board header the power for the fans comes directly from the power supply. Brilliant. I ordered 3 of them.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #284906 01/02/10 06:19 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Nice find on that splitter.

I ordered more pieces for my computer. I ordered the power supply and motherboard. RAM and video card remain. For RAM, I was thinking of this, but if anyone knows of better memory/better prices, that would beat me doing more of my own research. Ha ha.

CV #284907 01/02/10 07:13 AM
Seems a tad excessive. I'd probably go with this on first glance, unless you're planning to do some serious overclocking.

Ken.C #284909 01/02/10 07:20 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Ahh, good call. No, I'm not planning on going too far down the overclocking road. Thanks for the link.

CV #284910 01/02/10 08:57 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ken's link is good. But what ever RAM you get, run Memtest86 on it over night. I see so much flaky RAM these days. Like 1 out of 16 sticks is bad. In one case I had 3 out of 8, and then when those were replaced 1 more bad (Crucial later admitted they had a bad batch). It doesn't matter the maker. After finding a couple bad from Corsair I went back to Crucial (since both Tyan and Supermicro recommend them), but same thing there. It's just that today's memory densities are so high, there's bound to be flaws in the manufacturing.

The same for hard drives, every maker has had a bad batch along the way, and every brand I've used I've had premature failures with. So now I just stick with Seagate, and run RAID for the important stuff. When a disk fails, I buy a new replacement, but still return the broken one for warranty. They almost always send referbs as replacements. I put those in less important machines--but now that I think about it, I don't believe I've ever had a referb disk fail; maybe I'm doing that backward.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #284912 01/02/10 09:04 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the tip on Memtest86, Chris.

ClubNeon #284934 01/02/10 07:04 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
Ken's link is good. But what ever RAM you get, run Memtest86 on it over night. I see so much flaky RAM these days. Like 1 out of 16 sticks is bad. In one case I had 3 out of 8, and then when those were replaced 1 more bad (Crucial later admitted they had a bad batch). It doesn't matter the maker. After finding a couple bad from Corsair I went back to Crucial (since both Tyan and Supermicro recommend them), but same thing there. It's just that today's memory densities are so high, there's bound to be flaws in the manufacturing.

I can relate to this.
Two years ago some ram died after it was removed from a system and placed back in during some other diagnostic testing. After buying two new sticks, there were bootup problems, memtest showed errors and i returned the ram for replacements.
AFTER the THIRD replacement set, i finally had a pair of sticks that were error free and have been running in the system ever since.
I was starting to wonder if the motherboard was frying them along the way.

chesseroo #287119 01/16/10 06:38 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'll have my memory and video card(s) tomorrow, which means I can finally get my system running. Does anyone have links to good articles on setting up/optimizing/tweaking/customizing Windows 7? One thing I apparently need to do is disable defrag, since SSDs don't need it. I'll also be changing the user profile folders to my external drive. I'm looking for little things like that. I suppose I'm looking for more ideas, which is why I'm wanting to read articles on it. Thanks.

CV #287178 01/17/10 02:39 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
My new computer is up and running, so of course now I'm in the process of installing all of the programs I use and configuring them. I couldn't get my computer to POST for a while, until I finally remembered the video card needed some power hooked up to it. Oops. I'm still not used to having to do that. I also can't find my disc for Paint Shop Pro Photo X2, and the serial key I have for it doesn't want to unlock the downloadable versions, so that's annoying. Maybe it's a sign I need to go with freeware image editing software.

CV #287190 01/17/10 05:14 AM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
I'll have my memory and video card(s) tomorrow, which means I can finally get my system running. Does anyone have links to good articles on setting up/optimizing/tweaking/customizing Windows 7? One thing I apparently need to do is disable defrag, since SSDs don't need it. I'll also be changing the user profile folders to my external drive. I'm looking for little things like that. I suppose I'm looking for more ideas, which is why I'm wanting to read articles on it. Thanks.

Hi CV, if you haven't already been sent here then this is a good start:

http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=63273

Just curious, what model SSD did you get?

#287192 01/17/10 05:19 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks for the link. I'll check it out.

I got the Intel X25-M 160GB.

CV #287193 01/17/10 05:28 AM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
Nice, you are going to be one very happy camper.

#287266 01/17/10 09:26 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
In case anyone was interested in what I ended up with, here is the list of the specific hardware:

Stuff I already had that I'm still using:

Yes, I went for the more expensive Dominator memory. I can't tell you why, but at least it had no errors in MemTest.

The Noctua cooler is 2mm taller than even the Prolimatech Megahalems, so what was I thinking? Ha ha. I took out the side fan on the P193, which I think works, since the cooler pretty much directly pulls from that opening and shoots it out through the other exhaust fans. I'm happy with how quiet the computer is.

I still plan on getting a Blu-ray drive, an HP MediaSmart Server, and a higher-end video card. The video card does fine most of the time, but it does stutter at certain points. I'm not sure if it's the 128-bit bottleneck or not. I'll also probably switch to bigger speakers and sub at some point, since my dad would really like the Audiobytes.

But yeah, I have all of this hardware, so now I need to actually do something productive with it. A coworker asked what I was going to do with my new build, and I told him I needed it for Flash games. He hates me.

CV #287267 01/17/10 09:47 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yip! Solitaire must ROCK on that machine! \:\)

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #287279 01/18/10 12:00 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
\:D

One thing I don't like in Windows Media Player 12 in Windows 7 is that it doesn't utilize the higher-resolution album artwork I've been collecting, and a lot of the time it doesn't even pull the album artwork from the audio file itself. It's not like I'm going to be staring at the album artwork the whole time I'm playing the music, but it's still kind of weird and disappointing.

CV #287281 01/18/10 01:09 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You asked about optimization tips. I've got to dig back through my settings, but there are a few tweaks to Windows Services which can free up RAM, and spent less time hitting the disk. I'll post them here soon (remind me if I don't), just been a bit busy with other stuff this last week.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #287283 01/18/10 01:19 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hey, thanks. I'm in no rush. I'm also going to upgrade the computer I'm giving to my sister to Windows 7, so I'll be able to use your advice twice.

CV #287745 01/20/10 05:54 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
What's the windows performance rating on the machine, specifically on the disk? I'm in the high 5's on my new machine because the non SSD disk is holding me back.

Zarak #287750 01/20/10 07:33 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
My hard drive is at 7.5. My slowest piece is my video card at 7.4.

CV #287752 01/20/10 07:42 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Damn, I'm going to have to upgrade my video card too, once I get my new CPU and RAM. My system goes:

Processor: 7.5
RAM: 7.8
Graphics: 6.9
Gaming: 6.9
Disk: 6.5

That's a 15k RPM, 136 GB, Serial Attached SCSI (SAS) drive. One of the fastest spinners you can get. And you best me by a full integer.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #287753 01/20/10 07:51 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Here were all of mine:

Processor: 7.6
RAM: 7.8
Graphics: 7.4
Gaming graphics: 7.4
Hard disk: 7.5

What video card do you have, and what new one are you looking at? Also, what CPU and RAM are you migrating to? Just curious.

CV #287755 01/20/10 08:13 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have an nVidia 8800GT 512 right now (it was such an over-built card for its time). I'd like to get another nVidia card, because my motherboard chipset is by nVidia. Just they don't make one I like. I want something with integrated sound for the HDMI output, but also need it to be a better performer than my current card (their current HDMI+Sound models are low-end and slower that what I have).

Right now I have dual Quad-Core Opteron 2352s @2.1 GHz. I'm planning to upgrade to dual Six-Core Opteron 2431s @2.4 GHz. Also going from 16 GB of DDR2-667 to 32 GB of DDR2-800.

EDIT: I should also point out that my current setup was assembled in June of 2008. It's holding up pretty well. Actually, it's funny, Vista's performance rating was limited to 5.9, and it pegged every test at that.

Last edited by ClubNeon; 01/20/10 08:16 AM.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #287756 01/20/10 08:28 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'm hoping Nvidia's GF100 can compete with the higher-end Radeons. I wouldn't mind going back to Nvidia because of PhysX.

I see you're saying "nVidia." Is that how they used to write it? It looks right. I go to their site now and see they like to keep it as all-caps.

CV #287757 01/20/10 08:51 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yeah, I'm old school; that's the way they used to do it. I saw their new way too, don't like the ALLCAPS. I'm glad Sony dropped the PLAYSTATION trademark.

Yeah, that's the chip I'm looking forward to, the GF100. Still no products mentioned on their site with it.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #287758 01/20/10 09:25 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I had a Riva TNT way back in the day. I kind of figured Nvidia would get big, but of course I didn't invest in them. D'oh.

CV #287918 01/21/10 08:16 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Anyone have a case like this?

CV #287922 01/21/10 02:01 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
Looks nice! It will be interesting to see a review though. IMHO you'd want to still blow some air over the fins, especially if it is absorbing both CPU and GPU heat. Otherwise, you could lose some skin just touching it.

CV #287925 01/21/10 03:04 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
For a while I was interested in large, fin-based passive cooling systems. But found none of them could cool a really high-end machine. (See this one's recommendation of the NVIDIA 9500 card, a mid-line model.) So you have to compromise the system design just for the sake of cooling, and I'm left still wanting a monster rig.

So I figured why compromise slightly if I'm going to end up with two machines, make one the monster, and the other draw so little power that it doesn't even need external fins to cool itself.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
#287926 01/21/10 03:06 PM
I'm surprised they offer an LGA1366 option on the heatsink... those puppies run fairly hot. You wouldn't be doing any overclocking with this thing!

Ken.C #287927 01/21/10 03:07 PM
9500--mid line? Blech.

ClubNeon #287936 01/21/10 03:47 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
For a while I was interested in large, fin-based passive cooling systems. But found none of them could cool a really high-end machine. (See this one's recommendation of the NVIDIA 9500 card, a mid-line model.) So you have to compromise the system design just for the sake of cooling, and I'm left still wanting a monster rig.

So I figured why compromise slightly if I'm going to end up with two machines, make one the monster, and the other draw so little power that it doesn't even need external fins to cool itself.

Precisely my experience as well. What the "silent" or "fanless" products don't tell you is that you're either limited to certain hardware that doesn't run that hot or you must accept running your hardware at extremely high temps, which is never a good thing when it comes to computers and/or electronics.

#289556 01/31/10 07:25 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I installed the new Catalyst drivers for my video card yesterday, and today I noticed that several of the visual effects for Windows were no longer functioning. I couldn't find where the settings had changed, but I finally figured out that my Windows Experience scores for graphics were down to 1.0 for desktop and 2.0 for gaming graphics. After I re-ran the Windows Experience Index assessment, it was all okay again. Is that the norm for when you install a newer version of a video driver? It didn't seem like that happened before on Vista.

CV #289566 01/31/10 08:44 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
It's happened to me a couple times on update, I think even on Vista, but not every time. I had 7 just lose visual effects on its own, and then come back on its own less than a minute later. Dunno. At least you know what to do if it happens again...of course next time it'll be something different.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #289567 01/31/10 09:00 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
At least you know what to do if it happens again...of course next time it'll be something different.

Ha ha, no doubt.

CV #289571 01/31/10 09:14 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I'm thinking I'll get a new monitor so I can give my sister this 24" Dell Ultrasharp. I would be sad to give her a nice computer only to have her use it with a crappy monitor. Do you think I should stick with Dell, and if so, what model 24" or over should I be looking at? Color accuracy would be nice, but I suppose gaming performance and input options would weigh more into my decision. Also, how common is LED backlighting in computer monitors?

CV #289577 01/31/10 09:29 PM
I rather like my HP LP2475w (I think that's the number), but I've never used it for gaming. You'll probably need a color calibrator to get any sort of color accuracy, but those can be had for $150 or so.

Ken.C #293824 02/25/10 07:38 PM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
I think I'm going to be getting this monitor:

Dell UltraSharp U2711

Besides waiting a deal on that specific model, does anyone know of discounts or coupons that are actually meaningful? There's a 10% discount from work, but when you log in to take advantage of the discount, the prices are different, sometimes even being more expensive after the discount than if I just order normally. I don't have the information right now to log in to check on this particular monitor, but I'll get it again and see what figure comes out.

CV #293828 02/25/10 07:47 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Dell Outlet for a refurb, maybe?

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #311958 06/26/10 04:44 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I just wanted to resurrect this thread to brag.

Finally ordered my dual 2.4 GHz Six-Core CPUs, and 32 GB of DDR2-800 RAM. It'll all arrive on Tuesday, June 29th. \:D

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #311959 06/26/10 04:49 AM
C
CV Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Here's hoping it's delayed a day and you don't get it until the 30th! Take that!

CV #312455 06/28/10 10:25 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Ha! Showed you, my 6-Cores arrived up today.

Also went from 2.1 GHz to 2.4 GHz per core. Is it any faster? Can't really notice. The real question is: is it any more insane?

Last edited by ClubNeon; 06/28/10 10:26 PM.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #312456 06/28/10 10:27 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H