You are not logged in. [Log In]

Forums » General Discussion » Home Theater » In-cabinet speakers (m60)

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#275335 - 10/17/09 01:29 AM In-cabinet speakers (m60)
rprice54 Offline
veteran

Loc: North Georgia
I have been researching speakers for about a month now, I still have a bunch to learn. I am building a home theater/media room in my basement. The room will need to be more than just a "theater," and part of that will be a full built in cabinet for the front wall so the AV stuff can be hidden when not in use. the screen will retract into the cabinet as well. I do woodworking as a hobby, and part of this will be a chance to showcase my woodworking when the room is not being used for video.

But I also know I want floorstanding/full sized speakers, my dilemma has been how to 1)hide those in a cabinet but 2) build the cabinet big enough/insulated enough to not kill the speakers. Everything I read says 'don't do it.' I was starting to worry I would be stuck with in-walls or bookshelf speakers that didn't really fit what I want.

I was thrilled when I found that Axiom carries the M60/80 speakers in "In-cabinet" designs as well. Honestly, carrying these speakers as "in-cabinet" could make my day- although I still would really like to see and hear them... I know about the 30 day trial. Is the sound equivalent to the floorstanding speakers? what are the tradoff's?

My question is this: the room is 15'8" by 20' deep, with 8' ceilings, just below 2500 cubic feet by my math. I want to spend about $2500 on the speakers (5.1) system. It's a concrete slab floor that will be covered with carpet. Would a system built around the in-cabinet M60's be a good fit? I figure probably the 350 sub, the 150 center, and the surrounds. The main seating area will be ~10ft from the screen/speakers.

I can't find any specific reviews of the in-cabinet models, anyone around here have them? care to share any pics?

I'll attach a preliminary photo/sketchup model of what I want to do, although the front L/R speakers will be down near the floor to better line up with the center, and I may go ahead with the in-cabinet center speaker as well which would change the design a bit- but you get the idea.

What about the sub? I can park it in the back of the room if I need to, but in cabinet would be nice.

Thanks in advance.

#275336 - 10/17/09 01:42 AM Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) [Re: rprice54]
fredk Offline
axiomite

Loc: Canada
From what I know, the in-cabinets have the same dimensions as the floorstanders, they just have a front baffle that is meant to be built into a cabinet. They are also front ported, but I do not believe this would have any effect on their sound

Axiom does a very good job with their in-wall and in-cabinet speakers

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!

#275345 - 10/17/09 10:01 AM Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) [Re: fredk]
rprice54 Offline
veteran

The website here says no compromise, I just want to be sure. They get good reviews everywhere, but I can't find a specific review of the in-cab models.

#275348 - 10/17/09 11:04 AM Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) [Re: rprice54]
Adrian Offline
axiomite

Loc: It's all about the location.
I guess it's a bit more of an issue to review an in-cab speaker, at least if we're talking professional reviews, simply due to the issues of being "installed" vs a pair of towers or bookshelfs. Should be some customer reviews out there somewhere though...

#275349 - 10/17/09 11:07 AM Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) [Re: rprice54]
dewd Offline
local

Loc: Mechanicsburg, PA, USA
Of course the marketing dept says no compromise, but anytime you take away the ability to move your speakers, it is a compromise. If you are 'have' to put them in a cabinet, then absolutely get the speakers designed for a cabinet. But, if you have the choice, free standing is the best way to go.

Good luck with your project. I'm sure you will be happy with the Axioms.

#275350 - 10/17/09 11:21 AM Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) [Re: dewd]
Ken.C Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: NoVA
They're a new product. I don't know of anyone on the forums that has them. Several people have the in-walls or the in/on walls (W series), and generally report very good results with those.

#275374 - 10/17/09 03:52 PM Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) [Re: Ken.C]
jakewash Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
Buy some, get them istalled and give us a review ;\) \:\)

My HT

#275381 - 10/17/09 04:06 PM Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) [Re: jakewash]
rprice54 Offline
veteran

I'm this close to pulling the trigger. The sale newegg has right now on the Onkyo recievers is very tempting as well.

I'm going to see if I can track down anyone in the Atlanta area to listen to some Axiom speakers. I guess I need to build some test enclosures as well. I haven't built the entertainment center yet, because I want to build it custom around my speakers. I guess I could build some basic boxes and test the speakers out with the 30 day trial.

You guys don't want my review- I'm no audiophile, I'm a geek, but not an audiophile. My only comparison will be to a Panasonic $400 HTIB setup I have upstairs right now. I'm guessing any speakers I get will blow that out of the water. I'll be happy to post pics though...

Maybe Axiom will send me regular speakers and in-cab speakers and pay me to do a review??? ;\)

#275418 - 10/17/09 11:39 PM Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) [Re: rprice54]
Adrian Offline
axiomite

Loc: It's all about the location.
rprice, you could ask Jollo(Joe) for an audition, he is a recent recipient of Axioms and is in Athens, I believe(don't know how close that is to you). Maybe send him a pm and, of course, a bribe of some kind of fermented beverages.

#275420 - 10/18/09 12:22 AM Re: In-cabinet speakers (m60) [Re: Adrian]
rprice54 Offline
veteran

thanks for the suggestion. I'll look him up.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 
Forum Stats

15,271 Registered Members
16 Forums
24,078 Topics
425,171 Posts

Most users ever online:
883 @ 03/04/17 05:06 PM

Top Posters
Ken.C 18044
pmbuko 16437