Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: Buying Used Speakers....
Adrian #277402 11/03/09 03:19 AM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
But, I did find a pair of near mint M60's for $500 online! The dude purchased the EPIC60 set but finds the front too big so he never used them. Could be interesting!

Last edited by ohlavrac; 11/03/09 03:19 AM.

"And if ya' let me cool you one time, you'll be my regular stop" -DLR
ohlavrac #277421 11/03/09 06:45 AM
J
shareholder in the making
J
Good Luck!

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #277440 11/03/09 11:54 AM
Way back when......

Well, when Infinity was known for speakers like their $20K "Reference Standard":

A guy on a work bulletin board listed some Infinity floorstanders for $800... but he had to sell them very quickly. I looked them up and they were sweet.... sold for something like $6000 new and they stood taller than me. He listed them as 3 years old, but in like-new condition. I decided that if they were as good as I hoped, I would just give the guy an even thousand since $800 seemed awfully low and he was probably selling them out of desperation for some financial emergency.

I call him, and it all sounds good. I set up a time to go to his place an hour away.... and he's not there. His wife is, though, and says he was "out" and must have forgotten the appointment. At the risk of sounding snooty, this was SO white-trash I kept hearing "Bad Boys, Bad Boys, What You Gonna Do? What You Gonna Do When They Come For You" in my head. The woman, pregnant, was in a way-oversized T Shirt, pregnant (yeah, she was SO pregnant it's worth mentioning again), with a toddler in her arms and a smoke hanging out of her mouth. Crap everywhere.... so you had to look down when you walked. Which was good, because I wanted to avert my glaze anyway. A Rottweiler alternated low growls with stopping to scratch himself.

So she takes me to the "den" to see the speakers, and these things were beat.... each had a foot broken off, the veneer was coming off in places, cones dented, etc. I asked the woman if she was sure this was the right pair, because they were described as "like new"? She assured me they were and asked if I wanted to hear them. By this time, though, my mind had already started to imagine the fleas biting my ankles and attaching themselves to my socks and shoes for me to take home. I declined, politely telling her they were WAY too big for my living room, and left.

It wasn't until I was a little ways into the ride home when I started to get pissed for him wasting my time by giving me a flat-out lie about their condition.

I think the guy was too embarrassed to meet me in person after the way he described them, so he left that up to his wife/girlfriend. And I decided that he probably was once a pretty successful drug dealer who had money for such things, but his life has been going downhill since.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #277511 11/03/09 07:30 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
 Originally Posted By: MarkSJohnson
...At the risk of sounding snooty, this was SO white-trash I kept hearing "Bad Boys, Bad Boys, What You Gonna Do? What You Gonna Do When They Come For You" in my head. The woman, pregnant, was in a way-oversized T Shirt, pregnant (yeah, she was SO pregnant it's worth mentioning again), with a toddler in her arms and a smoke hanging out of her mouth. Crap everywhere.... so you had to look down when you walked. Which was good, because I wanted to avert my glaze anyway. A Rottweiler alternated low growls with stopping to scratch himself.

So she takes me to the "den" to see the speakers, and these things were beat.... each had a foot broken off, the veneer was coming off in places, cones dented, etc. I asked the woman if she was sure this was the right pair, because they were described as "like new"? She assured me they were and asked if I wanted to hear them. By this time, though, my mind had already started to imagine the fleas biting my ankles and attaching themselves to my socks and shoes for me to take home. I declined, politely telling her they were WAY too big for my living room, and left.

LOL

That actaully put a smile on my face! I was still a little pissed off about the situation this morning...

thanks Mark! \:\)

ohlavrac #277515 11/03/09 07:54 PM
Yeah, it's funny in hindsight. But at the time, I was psyched to get an awesome deal on a set of speakers...as you probably were as well.

Isn't the lyric "And if ya' let me cool you one time, you'll be my regular style" ? Or have I been hearing that one wrong for 30 years? \:\)

MarkSJohnson #277519 11/03/09 08:05 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I think it's "stop".

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #277524 11/03/09 08:55 PM
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
yep. its "stop". ;\)

MarkSJohnson #277526 11/03/09 08:58 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Mark, is that an active crossover at the bottom of the pic of the Infinity tower you posted?

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #277527 11/03/09 10:10 PM
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
Mark, is that an active crossover at the bottom of the pic of the Infinity tower you posted?

I dunno. If I remember right, the IRS system was like $20K...meaning I never even heard one! Looks like it though!

And, to the rest of you: "Pfffffffftttt"! :p

Page 5 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082