You are not logged in. [Log In]

Forums » General Discussion » Stereo » hello, intro from nervous possible M3 buyer

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >
Topic Options
Rate This Topic
#276896 - 10/30/09 05:13 PM hello, intro from nervous possible M3 buyer
Emzdogz Offline
veteran

Hi folks,
my finger has been hovering over the "add to cart" button or "buy" button or whatever they call it on here, all day.

I've had the worst time over the last few years, trying to get good sound. (the best I've been able to do is headphones with a small headphone amp) Part of it is that I no longer partake as much of adult beverages which I suppose can make music sound or seem to sound better.

Or maybe its my ears. Not sure. I crave clarity and openness and a sense of dynamism (is that a word?).

My room is very small @ approx 13 by 15. Had a pair of Klipsch Synergy speakers that I thought were supposed to be good, but they sure didn't sound clear or musical to me. Sold 'em. Stuck with headphones for awhile.
Then bought a small pair of Polk bookshelf speakers, used. Something happened to them...but they now have tweeters that don't work and one has a rattle. They sound like someone buried them underground. They are broken!

So instead of getting them fixed...I thought I'd finally get myself a pair of nice, well rated speakers - and the M3's or maybe M2's are what I'm coming up with...along with maybe Epos' and or maybe Paradigms of comparable size. The Epos are a bit out of my price range.

Using an Onkyo 100 watt per channel power amp with a newly purchased Gemini pre-amp.
OR I could switch back to an early 70's Sansui integrated amp and radio dial receiver.
Will try the Axioms with both set-ups.
No surround for now....I have a little faux-surround gizmo for my TV called a Z-vox mini, that does nicely for movies and sports and anything I watch on my TV.

I just want to enjoy MUSIC again. Mainly I want to run music from iTunes from one of my Macs, but to be honest I'm not impressed with the sound that way. Too bad. I guess I'll be looking into a CD player soon.

Anyway, if you got through this, thanks for reading...
I'll be pushing that "buy" button any second now, I think. Just need to decide between the M2's and M3's.

Wish me luck! and I wish you luck in all your listening endeavours.
I look forward to reading more of your postings here in this forum.
\:\)
Em
Tampa FL

#276899 - 10/30/09 05:15 PM Re: hello, intro from nervous possible M3 buyer [Re: Emzdogz]
Ken.C Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: NoVA
Go with the M3s. They're excellent speakers, slightly more forgiving than other Axioms, and with better bass than the M2s.

#276902 - 10/30/09 05:38 PM Re: hello, intro from nervous possible M3 buyer [Re: Ken.C]
Emzdogz Offline
veteran

Done! Boston Cherry M3's ordered!
holding breath....

#276904 - 10/30/09 05:40 PM Re: hello, intro from nervous possible M3 buyer [Re: Ken.C]
Adrian Offline
axiomite

Loc: It's all about the location.
Emz, remember you're not obligated to keep the speakers either...give them a trial and see how you like them. I'm sure you'll enjoy either of these speakers(M3 would also be my first choice, though) but if they're not for you, you can return them and just pay the shipping. Axiom could tell you how much the return shipping would be if that's an issue, but I'm sure you'll love these speakers esp for the $$.

Lol, you just ordered.

Edited by Adrian (10/30/09 05:40 PM)

#276905 - 10/30/09 05:40 PM Re: hello, intro from nervous possible M3 buyer [Re: Emzdogz]
Wid Offline
axiomite

Loc: The Peoples Republic of Il.

Congrats, now exhale. You'll love your Axioms.

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

#276908 - 10/30/09 05:52 PM Re: hello, intro from nervous possible M3 buyer [Re: Wid]
merchman Offline
aficionado

Loc: WI
Another congrats on your purchase. Did you buy from the factory outlet or A stock? I think you will be very pleased with them. I have mine hooked up as the B set along with my M80's. I still enjoy just how good they do sound when you put the power to them. \:\) Enjoy them and let us know what you think.

#276909 - 10/30/09 05:54 PM Re: hello, intro from nervous possible M3 buyer [Re: merchman]
Emzdogz Offline
veteran

hey thanks, you all! ordered them from here on the Axiom website. Looking forward to this new adventure!

#276915 - 10/30/09 06:17 PM Re: hello, intro from nervous possible M3 buyer [Re: Emzdogz]
Joebob Offline
old hand

Loc: Earth
I was pretty scared when I ordered the biggins (M80's) sight unheard. Within an hour of getting them set up, you would have to pry 'em out of my cold dead hands. I think you will enjoy your new speakers. Welcome to the club!

#276919 - 10/30/09 06:26 PM Re: hello, intro from nervous possible M3 buyer [Re: Joebob]
jakewash Offline
shareholder in the making

Loc: Calgary, Alberta
I would have suggested pushing the budget a bit more for the M22s as he was looking for clarity etc and the M22s excell in that respect, but the M3s are a great choice as well.

My HT

#276925 - 10/30/09 06:38 PM Re: hello, intro from nervous possible M3 buyer [Re: jakewash]
Emzdogz Offline
veteran

in this cluttered little room, size of the enclosures was kind of an issue, too, so that was one more reason for the M3's. I'd love to hear the M22's someday, though.
(It's "she", btw).
Down the road I hope to add a sub.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 >

Moderator:  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 
Forum Stats

15,279 Registered Members
16 Forums
24,088 Topics
425,341 Posts

Most users ever online:
883 @ 03/04/17 05:06 PM