Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Running Audyssey
jakewash #279303 11/17/09 07:40 AM
P
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
P
Well, I ran it again tonight, the settings were pretty similar to before, except the sub. I did the sub crawl and with the sub moved closer to the couch and more in the corner, it went from -7 setting to -12, which is maxed, so I ran it again with the gain turned down to about 1/3, it was at half. Still -12, crap. Turn gain down to 1/4 and go again. Now it's at -5. So, just moving the sub I gained about 12 - 15 db from it, all things equal. I'm not surprised because in the middle of the room the SPL goes off the charts low. My biggest problem with the whole Audyssey system is that it is calibrating for a given area, which is good obviously if you have a family, or a larger theatre. Personally for just myself and the wife I find it's just as easy to nail it down with the SPL for a smaller area. Audyssey is nice for the EQ and distance settings.

Jakewash, I know we talked about this before (I think it was you) but I have the PB12-NSD. Tonight is the first time I have really cranked on it with some U571 scenes and the hospital explosion scene from Dark Knight. The thing is extremely clean, but I have to say I can't really feel the bass like I thought I would. I can't say I'm disappointed with it because it clearly is a good sub, and it'll go louder than I'll ever need, but perhaps I'm used to a boomier sub that you can feel more. Is there anything I should be trying or is this just what good bass is supposed to be?

Last edited by Potatohead; 11/17/09 08:07 AM.
jakewash #279304 11/17/09 07:41 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I suppose you're right. I'm used to Pioneer where they use their own in-house auto-setup and refer to the whole system as MCACC. Where as Audyssey is their own company who makes room calibration software which some receiver makers use as part of their setup routine.

I'm not sure if the crossover is tied to the Audyssey either. At least on the Pio, you can change your crossover freq. after setup, because it uses full bandwidth pink noise for the EQ tests. If you set the crossover higher it just doesn't use the bottom band of the EQ, but it still knows how the speaker performs down there.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #279305 11/17/09 07:44 AM
P
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
P
I don't know if this helps at all, but in my Denon menu there is a seperate setting I noticed tonight where you can set whereyou want Audyssey reference level to be. Default is at 0, but you can adjust it to where you wish and then run Audyssey from there.

Potatohead #279367 11/17/09 06:44 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Audyssey sets everything with the exception of the speaker size. The AVR will set your speakers to small or large. Audyssey highly recommends that you manually change this setting to small, if your receiver sets them to large.

I used to think it did nothing but apply filters to the different channel frequencies, but learned I was wrong after reading the Audyssey thread at AVS. The founder and chief technical guru routinely responds to questions there. It’s a very long thread, but if you search it, and make sure you put Audyssey in the Poster name block, you will more than likely find the “correct” answer to any question you might have in regards to using Audyssey.

Here’s a quote from Audyssey that I found interesting……..

Originally Posted By: audyssey;17490415
My theory still is that what the mic is measuring in MultEQ is different than what you are measuring with the SPL meter. The nature of these speakers is such that this is quite likely. In the MultEQ measurement you are collecting a time domain response that depends heavily on reflections and direct sound. It is analyzed and a level estimation is being made. In the SPL meter measurement you have no time domain information and you are getting a number using the RMS detector in the meter. So, it's entirely possible that both are "right", but that the asymmetry in the room/boundaries are causing the MultEQ calculation to be biased lower.

It's just a theory... My vote is for A.

Thread: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?p=17490415#post17490415

Audyssey FAQ: http://www.audyssey.com/faq/index.html

As a side note, I like my center channel 2 db higher than the R/L. I always check channel levels with my SPL meter and adjust as needed, which typically is very minor, with the exception of my center.

michael_d #279435 11/17/09 11:31 PM
P
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
P
 Originally Posted By: michael_d
As a side note, I like my center channel 2 db higher than the R/L. I always check channel levels with my SPL meter and adjust as needed, which typically is very minor, with the exception of my center.

That's what I have done as well.

Last edited by Potatohead; 11/17/09 11:34 PM.
Potatohead #279496 11/18/09 06:02 AM
V
buff
buff
V
i ran audyssey today for the umpthteenth time just for fun. it's been a while since i moved on to the spl meter a couple of months ago.

on my onkyo tx sr 607. it set the mains at full range the center full range and the surrounds at 60hz?????. also it automatically sets the dynamic EQ to "ON" and to my surprise it set the double bass to "OFF", which it normally use to set to "ON".

double bass on the onkyo is when it sends the bass from L/R speakers to the sub??? i've always thought this was a weird setting since the mains are set to full range.im assuming Full Range=Large, i mean why set to large if your going to roll off the bass anyway?

anyways i really like that it calculates distance well. i have double checked the distances with a tape measure, and it was perfect. today i also checked the sound level calibration and it was dead on! only difference is that i use "55" on the volume for 75db's and the audyssey used "60" , i did like that. it sounds better matched than when i used "55" on the volume.

i did make some changes though. i changed the dynamic EQ to "OFF" and i also changed the mains L/R to 60hz and the center and surrounds to 80hz and the double bass i left off. sub crossover to 80hz. it sounds great with my current set up. I seriously cannot wait to set up the axioms...AAARRGGGGGGG!!!!

i think i'll take the same route. run audyssey then adjust size and make sure double bass and dynamic EQ are off..

Vanorge #279503 11/18/09 06:25 AM
shareholder in the making
Jorge, Dynamic EQ is a feature that's been very well-received by most(including me). Don't confuse it with Dynamic Volume which compresses volume differences(e.g., for TV commercials). The Dynamic EQ compensates for the lower sensitivity of our ears to bass and treble at lower volumes and also increases the relative surround level at lower volumes. This improves the overall effect when listening at other than very high levels.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #279507 11/18/09 07:28 AM
V
buff
buff
V
tx for bringing that to my attention john . i just read the article over at the audyssey website and it definetly sounds interesting i'll have to give it a go tomorrow.

i wonder now if i did confuse it with dynamic volume. and maybe just left it off :0)

i use to just turn it on at night, but i'll look into how it sounds on all the time.

Vanorge #279525 11/18/09 01:10 PM
Jorge, Audyssey does not set speakers to small or large, that is the AVR manufacturer decision. Audyssey recommends that any speaker that rolls off at 40hz should be considered large. Some AVR companies, like Denon, follow this 40hz rule, while others, I think Marantz, use 80hz.

Audyssey still recommends you go into your receiver setup menu and change those speakers to "small". Also, you can increase the crossover number for those speakers, to say 80hz or whatever, but never reduce this number. My 80's are on 60hz, my vp150 is at 80hz, and my Qs8's are at 90hz. All Small....

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #279532 11/18/09 02:34 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Leave Dynamic EQ on as well.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard