Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Re: Well, it's done
Adrian #279082 11/14/09 04:58 PM
veteran
veteran
Really nice! Let me know what you learn from using Audyssey. I used it and spent a few hours messing with the settings it created as I was not happy with the sound. Of course I really dont know what I am doing so I may have done something wrong when I used Audyssey.

Aaron

Success is a journey not a destination!
Potatohead #279084 11/14/09 05:06 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Guys like you that are talented and have the ability to build stuff like this make me sick(just kidding). Great job!

If I even remotely attempted to try doing something like this I can guarantee you within ten minutes after starting, from my improper use of tools, blood would be spewing forth and I would be rushing to the hospital emergency room!

Adrian #279096 11/14/09 07:17 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
You did a fantastic job in there Potato, kudo's! Now you can enjoy your hard work everytime you watch a movie, tv, or listen to music (is this a listening room as well, or are you much into listening to music?). I love it, congrats!

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #279099 11/14/09 07:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Looks fantastic Tater! I was happy with my installation of the W's until I saw your pics! Really great looking job. I am also impressed with how you built the bulk heads to aim the W's. I might have to think about adding this feature in the future as mine are just plain flat mounted.

Cheers!

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
cb919 #279101 11/14/09 07:55 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I must add that I really love the way you did the AV shelf! Question, what's the screen for? I had a screen hooked up in my closet so that I could choose from a playlist for my music from there, but I have never used it as I just use my main screen for that.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #279113 11/14/09 11:47 PM
B
veteran
veteran
B
Very nice job!

Micah #279114 11/14/09 11:48 PM
P
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
P
 Originally Posted By: Argon
Are you going to put in WIFI?

The house already has it, but in this room it doesn't work. Just outside on the stairs it works great, but come inside and it has another four layers of drywall, insulation and acoustical sealant to get through... It's ok for surfing forums like this, but downloads and gaming and such is impossible. I think my wife may have another router from her old place, I should probably dig it out.

Originally Posted By: Worfzara
I love what you did wth the bulkheads.

The black trim really works in there too.

Very cool!

paul

I pretty much had to do that, otherwise obviously they would be massive. There is everything you can imagine in there... Heating ducts, water lines, sewer lines, electrical, speaker wire, vaccum line, cable/phone line etc etc. That darn bulkhead is the reason I couldn't go with a slightly larger screen, it would have cut off a corner of the image from the projector. I call it "Volkswagening" (over-engineering) on my part. Another example is the door handle... 90% of the reason I picked that handle is because the part that covers the actual mechanism on the door matches the inlay on the door.

Originally Posted By: aspicer1
Really nice! Let me know what you learn from using Audyssey. I used it and spent a few hours messing with the settings it created as I was not happy with the sound. Of course I really dont know what I am doing so I may have done something wrong when I used Audyssey.

Aaron

It seems good, although it did set everything to 72 db for some reason so I had to pump them up a little. It also set my front crossovers at the bare lowest I would want them @ 60 hz, so I brought that up to 80. It set the QS8's at 110, which still seems like they may be getting a bit too much bass for my liking, but I'll tinker with it some more. Overall it seems to be a cool system.

Originally Posted By: casey01
Guys like you that are talented and have the ability to build stuff like this make me sick(just kidding). Great job!

If I even remotely attempted to try doing something like this I can guarantee you within ten minutes after starting, from my improper use of tools, blood would be spewing forth and I would be rushing to the hospital emergency room!

To be honest I've never really done anything like this before, but I am pretty good with my hands (used to be a mechanic) and it's nothing a real good instructional book can't guide you through. A lot of it is just common sense. The rule "measure twice, cut once" certainly exists for a reason though, let me tell you that.

Originally Posted By: Micah
I must add that I really love the way you did the AV shelf! Question, what's the screen for? I had a screen hooked up in my closet so that I could choose from a playlist for my music from there, but I have never used it as I just use my main screen for that.

The "screen" where the components are? That's actually a frosted glass door to hide the DVD's/remotes etc. There is one below the receiver and another at the bottom. I do want a small monitor or something there though so I can set the PVR without turning on the projector... Not sure if there is an easy way to do that through my laptop or not.

Anyway, to all of you, this board is such a help and a great place to hang out... Thank you for the comments!

Last edited by Potatohead; 11/14/09 11:53 PM.
Potatohead #279337 11/17/09 02:33 PM
axiomite
axiomite
That looks awesome. Very nicely done.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters