Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Question about installing a DSL line....
RickF #279479 11/18/09 03:50 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
\:D \:D \:D

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
RickF #279512 11/18/09 12:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ha. You guys kill me.

It's not very often I ever get to speak on a topic that I didn't learn 5 months ago from another post on this board, so I probably got a little over zealous. I've never been know for short stories.

And I'm not a Walkie!!!
I'm a Mini Rider. Errr Cooper Driver. That is I have a tiny but fast drive.... DOH! None of that sounds any good.
I miss my Jeep.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #279554 11/18/09 05:08 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Walkie \:D

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
RickF #279582 11/18/09 05:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: RickF
Thanks Murph! It's probably going to take a few sessions to digest all of your very helpful information, and you did great explaining everything in lay terms ... I guess I'll just hide the telephone wires in the wall and figure out what I want to do for the component rack later.

I knew you were going to pull through for me Cam but that dang Murph beat you to it ... he probably just types a little faster. \:D

All of the answers you've gotten thus far are excellent and spot-on, but I don't know if anyone has clearly said it...

What you need is a router, preferably a wireless one.

Your "Internet" arrives at your house at your DSL modem. Think of the DSL modem like the electrical transformer that sits on the power pole in your neighborhood. That device takes the high-voltage main line and converts it to the 110/220v that your home electrical gear can use. When you *just* use a DSL modem for your Internet, it's like running one long extension cord from your microwave to the transformer itself. It might power the microwave, but the rest of your house is dark. Fine for the microwave (safety issues aside...), but not very useful for the refrigerator, nor anything else in the house.

Adding another DSL modem (you'd need another phone line...) would be like running *another* extension cord out to transformer. Not exactly what you want to do.

What you need, then, is an in-home distribution network. With electrical power, your circuit-breaker box provides short-circuit protection but also splits off power to the various circuits, outlets, and switches, in your house. With "the Internet", a router does the same thing, but for the bits of data. You'd connect your devices to the router with ethernet cables, or if they're wifi-enabled devices, they can connect wirelessly to the router. And *poof*, those devices are able to talk to eachother and the internet at large.

802.11b vs 802.11g vs. 802.11a vs 802.11n are certain wifi standards that a device or router can accept. b is the oldest/slowest, g|a are newer, and n is the newest. You'd likely want to buy something that's 802.11n compatible, as that will be the latest/greatest with the best range & speed but will also be backwards compatible with just about every wifi device ever made.

Whether or not you need to run ethernet cable to your AV rack depends on whether or not your gear is all wifi enabled. Personally, I prefer hard-wired connections for stationary gear (like printers, my AppleTV, my Dish Network DVR, etc), as it's faster and normally has fewer quirks than wifi connections. So if you *can* run ethernet cable from the vicinity of your DSL modem to your AV rack, I would do that. Especially if you have an opportunity *today*, and you may not tomorrow. Use "RG6" ethernet cable to do it. And I say 'vicinity of your DSL modem' because the router & DSL modem will need to be connected via an ethernet cable, so they'd often be found sitting next to each other.

Routers are generally pretty good these days. Go to any store that sells electronics (Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Staples, Office Max, etc, etc) and take a look. Linksys, Belkin, D-Link, and Netgear are the most popular brands. If you like Apple products, Apple's AirPort Extreme base station is a great router that's especially easy to set up and use if you're using a Mac (though it is as compatible with everything as any other router).

Good luck!

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #279590 11/18/09 06:44 PM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Rick, I have a DSL modem at the location where my service comes into the house. I then plug a short ethernet (network) cable from the back of the modem to a 4 port router which has a broadband connection, as well as 4 network ports. These ports are used to route network cabling to other rooms in the house.

M80s VP180 4xM22ow 4xM3ic EP600 2xEP350
AnthemAVM60 Outlaw7700 EmoA500 Epson5040UB FluanceRT85

SirQuack #279595 11/18/09 07:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Unless of course his DSL MODEM IS already a router. Then you have to consider ............

Oh, never mind. Just do like Peter says and buy a Wireless Router and give some teen a beer i-tunes gift card to configure your PCs/laptops up.

And Yes, I did recommend Wireless as the most simple solution but I was afraid to emphasize it to much because Tom was against it and I was afraid beer would stop shipping to PEI entirely due to insulting the Beer God. ;\)

Last edited by Murph; 11/18/09 07:08 PM.

Murph #279632 11/18/09 09:36 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
You perhaps overestimate my clout with the Canadian government.

All I can do is make sure they only ship Unibroue there.

I know lots of people are "successful" with wireless. At my house, I was willing to fish the copper so that I never had to worry about it. Technology problems irritate me, and that measure just eliminated one whole category of "suck" altogether.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #279641 11/18/09 10:01 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Tom, can you literally use your "clout" on Jack Layton for me? technically he is part of the opposition, but he thinks he is the leader.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #279670 11/19/09 02:17 AM
RickF Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Dang, I thought life was supposed to get somewhat simpler after receiving an AARP card, obviously not. \:\)

Thanks Peter and you other fellas, I believe hard wiring some Cat5 from the current modem to the equipment shed is what I'll end up doing ... it's going to be a beeotch trying to get the wire ran due to the scissor trusses and concrete wall but I'll just bite the bullet and do it.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #279764 11/19/09 05:45 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'd be glad to help if you want to send your plane. \:\/

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters