Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Re: *Official ROTK thread
#27951 12/18/03 01:04 AM
shareholder in the making
I agree with your ranking, but FOTR just barely edges out ROTK.

I saw it this morning (and afternoon) at 11:30am. I think Minas Tirith was the star of the show (if you ignore all the actors...)

#27952 12/18/03 01:04 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'd agree with that as well.

This is going to sound like blasphamy to the big star wars fans out there, but people complain that the new movies aren't that good. I think if you go back and watch the first (middle technically) three they are good, but not as good as everyone makes them out to be. They have been hyped so much and been moved to an almost mythical status in some peoples minds that just nothing else can ever touch.

I'm sure the big star wars fans here will disagree, but that's my 2 cents anyway.

#27953 12/18/03 01:05 AM
Nothing can put a candle to it (except perhaps that damned fool Denethor...).

Of course, it always helps stating out with a timeless masterpiece as your basis.

#27954 12/18/03 01:06 AM
Star Wars is dead.
--Nietsche

#27955 12/18/03 04:07 AM
devotee
devotee
I think it's totally ok to compare LOTR to Star Wars even though they are completly different films. Why? Star Wars sets the standard/ the bar to which only a a handfull of other films can reach. Since '77 films have been measured against SW and for good reason, they are some of the best films ever made, and it's what anyone who goes into making a sci-fi film hopes to achieve. Nobody measures films like The Matrix, LOTR, or Spiderman to say...Star Trek. ROTK was great, and worth standing an hour in line to see. This is the first LOTR film I have seen in the theater simply b/c I absolutely hate going to commercial theaters, they suck! While FOTR is still my fave of the 3 I thought it was wonderfully done, and cannot wait for the DVD, and the eventual EE.

#27956 12/18/03 06:19 AM
You mean you buy both the first release and the EE? That's dedication.

I agree with you that it's OK to compare Star Wars to ROTK, but I'm in the camp that believes Star Wars gets just a little more credit than it deserves. Sure, special effects like that had never been seen before, and the Star Wars universe seemed pretty real, deep, and complete.

But nobody can hold a candle to Tolkein (and Peter Jackson, for that matter) for going much much much deeper in the realization of the world in which the story takes place. I sincerely doubt I'll see a movie that succeeds in sweeping me away into another world as successfully as the LOTR trilogy did.

Man, I have to see it again soon!.

#27957 12/18/03 08:11 AM
devotee
devotee
Well, I'm sure there are a million Star Wars fans who feel the same way about Star Wars that you do about LOTR. For me, it's not about which is "better" b/c it's all a matter of opinion regardless of how many people feel about one or the other, but for me it's the entertainment value. Personally I find Star Wars more entertaining considering it's one of the few films I can watch over and over again unlike FOTR or TTT. For every one time I have seen FOTR or TTT, I have seen TPM or AOTC 10 times. They are all really good though and I love to watch all of those films in my home. You really have to love the time we live in with the trio of spectacular trilogies (Star Wars, Matrix, and LOTR) that make watching movies so fun.

#27958 12/18/03 08:32 AM
Whoah, and this whole time I though you were talking about the old Star Wars movies. The new ones -- in my opinion -- are definitely watchable, but are severely lacking in acting, editing, asnd scriptwriting talent. Remember, it's just my opinion.

#27959 12/18/03 09:22 AM
devotee
devotee
LOL! Yeah, even though I grew up with the Original SW Trilogy, I do prefer the new films. Like I said it's all good though.

#27960 12/18/03 02:39 PM
enthusiast
enthusiast
I, too, agree with your ranking. FOTR has always be my favorite part of the book, so that might sway my opinion. It's a "warm and fuzzy" thing...before things get too dark. And PJ did a great job with that first hour making me feel like "Wow! I'm in Middle-Earth. I could live happily ever after in Hobbiton."

FOTR EE was better, but I was happy with the original. TTT was much better in its EE. It's original needed something more.

From a movie making POV, I think ROTK is technically the best. I really enjoyed it, but they'll have to put a lot back into the EE for me to like it more than FOTR.

As for SW, I like them all, but not because of the same reasons as LOTR. LOTR is an amazing story that was brought to screen in an amazing way...aesthetically, technically, and with great performances. SW is cool. It's entertainintg, always pushes the limits of SFX, and it's fun. But they come across as effects movies. I've never been upset they didn't get best director/picture nods.

LOTR seems like a retelling of epic history. It's "fantastical" elements are portrayed in a believable way. It's in a class by itself and should win every award! (Just one geek's opinion )

Incidentally, the LOTR movies are the main reason I'm on the Axiom site. I know a good home theater can do these movies better than my local theaters!

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters