Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Major sub issues
ClubNeon #279746 11/19/09 04:11 PM
P
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
P
I have a DVE Blu-Ray disc, I'll check it out tonight.

Just using the test tone in the receiver I only get a 2 db swing, but I guess that's only at whatever frequency the test tone is at.

CV #279747 11/19/09 04:12 PM
P
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
P
 Originally Posted By: CV
 Originally Posted By: Potatohead
On that note, does anyone have an EP175 they want to sell?

\:\)

You're in luck. Axiom has a subwoofer by that name.

They even have different colors!

Potatohead #279752 11/19/09 04:43 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I have a DVE Blu-Ray disc, I'll check it out tonight.

Just using the test tone in the receiver I only get a 2 db swing, but I guess that's only at whatever frequency the test tone is at.

If you don't find the bass sweep on DVE, it may be the Avia disc. I have too many calibration discs--basically every one I've ever heard of I've bought.

The test tone from the receiver is broadband noise, it covers the entire range reproduced by the sub. Without a real-time audio spectrum analyzer you wouldn't know if one part of the spectrum is accentuated or attenuated over others. But a sweep will play one frequency at a time, so you can hear how the room responds to each.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
Potatohead #279775 11/19/09 06:21 PM
J
shareholder in the making
J
I guess with the filter that high, the fronts aren't getting a full range.
Correct, they were only getting frequencies down to around that crossover and a little lower as it is a roll off not brickwall.

Quote:
If I do this though, is there any way to limit the amount of LFE sent to it? [\quote]The high pass filter would work but by limiting the lows you won't be able to smooth out the response throughout the room, just run the second sub like the first.

You can download some test tones from Realtraps.com and burn them to CD to check your in room response on the sub.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #279787 11/19/09 06:57 PM
P
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
P
That Realtraps tones looks like something pretty useful, at least if I do that I'll know if I do have a hole. I'll probably try that out tonight as well, can't hurt.

I have been looking into this HSU MBM a little more, seems most people are pretty pleased with it.

ClubNeon #279879 11/20/09 04:56 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
Anything with a bass sweep would work though. While you're doing the crawl listen to the full sweep in each location, it should sound (or even better, measure) equally loud through out. If using the DVD, you can even get an idea what frequencies are being accentuated or lacking. Sort of a poor-man's REW.

I've done this before, with my surrounds actually, and it works quite well.
It really gives you an idea of what your ears can and cannot really hear.

In manual measurements there was a low valley in a narrow range in our original listening room, but during the sweep, because the frequencies move along at a relatively fast pace, you cannot pick it out.
One Hz out of so many, or a small range and depending on the dB down may not make an audible difference in music/movie playback with everything else that is going on sonically.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #279887 11/20/09 06:27 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
I know it is not supposed to make a difference, but did you try and 'aim' the driver in different directions after you placed the enclosure? At this point, it may be worth a try...

BigHonu #279897 11/20/09 08:46 AM
P
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
P
 Originally Posted By: BigHonu
I know it is not supposed to make a difference, but did you try and 'aim' the driver in different directions after you placed the enclosure? At this point, it may be worth a try...

Funny you mention this, as I was going to bring it up. At least in my room, the driver direction makes a HUGE difference. I'll explain in a minute.

So, thanks to jakewash I burned the CD of the frequencies from RealTraps tonight, and just finished spending 5.5 hours down here messing around. It's a pretty cool thing, the driver extension at 10 hz is pretty comical. Anyway, it let me graph out my findings and what it would accomplish to place the sub elsewhere.

To make a long story short, it was pretty much a bunch of wasted time that the sub crawl didn't tell me already. I did actually find one position that the sub flattened out a bit in, but listening to it with some U-571, I just didn't like it as much, so I put it back where it was. It's amazing to see with the SPL meter just how much one foot can make a difference. Right behind my seating area to right in front could be a 15 db swing in some frequencies, and then in another range it would be the exact opposite. It's no wonder people go mental over this stuff.

The point I wanted to make about the driver direction was that in one place I tested, just by turning the sub 180 degrees, I picked up twenty-four decibals at one point around 57 Hz I believe. With the sub in the "bad direction" I was getting 59 dB (lol) whereas it was 83 the other way.

I do have about 10 dB lulls at about 56 and 78 Hz, which was the same pattern no matter where I put the sub, so it has to be my room. According to SVS's graph the sub does dip a bit at these points, so that probably contributes a bit as well.

One thing I did find odd, was that I am down a decent amount as well at about 95 - 110 hz... I don't know if this is just from coming out of the range of the sub, which level was probably set a bit too high, but I don't really have another explanation for it as the W22's should handle that frequency with ease.

I think the next step is going to be a couple bass traps in the back corners of the room and maybe some panels on the walls. Can't hurt I guess.

Last edited by Potatohead; 11/20/09 08:49 AM.
Potatohead #279900 11/20/09 10:07 AM
B
veteran
veteran
B
It seems that in the one spot in my room, the way the driver faces makes a difference as well. That is the only reason I mentioned it.
Hope you can get it worked out!

Potatohead #279902 11/20/09 11:29 AM
It's no wonder people go mental over this stuff.

Yeah, I was pretty normal until I tried to set up an HT in my small, square room. \:\)

Glad you're making headway, spuddy.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082