Rate Thread
Problem with 'Training Day' DVD
#2801 04/26/02 09:50 PM
Big_L Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Hey everybody!
My girlfriend just bought 'Training Day' and we're having a very interesting problem. There's no center channel sound on it.
We're watching the thing, and the characters lips are moving, but NO sound! Meanwhile, the other four channels were active. You could hear birds chirping, phones ringing, the music, etc., but no dialogue.
The first thing I thought was that something happened to my VP100. But I threw in another DVD and I'm happy to report everything's alright with my system!
Anybody ever had a similar experience?

Big L
Re: Problem with 'Training Day' DVD
#2802 04/30/02 10:42 PM
old hand
old hand
Sorry man. My copy works fine. It's a great movie. Hope you get the problem fixed.

B_man

#2803 05/01/02 03:34 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello Big_L,

Really odd. Makes me wonder if your copy is one of the illegal Chinese counterfeit DVDs (there are lots around) produced without copyright payments, and they screwed up the transfer...

Mistakes do happen, of course. I rented a DVD of an off-broadway play called "The Designated Mourner". Unbelievably, the dialog was out of sync! I thought it was a glitch in my Sony DVD player (it had been rumored there were such glitches with early Sony models), but then the same movie was broadcast on HBO, presumably from a D2 digital master, and the dialog was still out of sync! Incredible.

I don't know how the mastering was approved. Mike Nichols was the director (and played one of the lead roles) and, as the director, he would have had to approve the DVD transfer.

The mystery deepens....
Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#2804 05/01/02 03:46 PM
F
fhw Offline
devotee
devotee
F
There have been reports of newer players having difficulty with new DVDs, with effects like the sound cutting out, etc. I know this is the case with, for example, Jurassic Park 3.

You could check forums on dvdtalk.com or dvdfile.com to see if other owners have noticed the same problem. If you're not happy, I'd take it back, or at the very least contact the distributor/studio and get a new copy.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044