Rate Thread
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Cable box audio setting
EFalardeau #282077 12/11/09 03:43 AM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Check this out.

I got to talk to one of the repair technicians for TWC this evening. He told me it was a software update/design intentionally! Something about too many service calls with people not having the setting right, so they made it so the box would make a recognition and decision and would not be able to be changed.

This explains why the box will not allow me to make a permanent change in the settings. I don't know if his statements are true, but why would he say this if it wasn't true.

SO, it is component cable for me. (I was already there.) Thanks to all who have tried to help me here. It really didn't make sense, but now it does.

Panasonic TC-P50G15, DMP-BD60
Yamaha RX-V1400
Axiom M60's,VP150,QS8's
Hsu VTF2
jfoxtrot9 #282138 12/11/09 07:57 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Sorry, don't buy it for a minute. Does that mean they changed the software on ALL the HD boxes? I bought this 4250HD only a few months ago and I have already gone through the explanation of how it works and what it takes to set it up properly. If anything, his excuse and the "alleged" internal software changes creates MORE problems in the set-up not less. You have already experienced it. Remember, with the current limited audio capability of the HDMI connections( 2 channel max with sound breakups) on the existing line of cable boxes, even if you had an updated receiver, you would still, more than likely, have the same problem in trying to run the digital audio and HDMI video simultaneously through the AVR. As yourself and everybody said, in order to avoid the hassle, use component video.

It is important to note that unless you happen to run across an enthusiast, essentially any of the technicians at these cable or satellite companies know little or nothing about how these boxes interact with an A/V systems so you are basically wasting your time.

Sorry, you haven't been able to hook things up exactly as you wanted. We tried our best.

casey01 #282149 12/11/09 08:39 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Casey, what you say is interesting. I really don't know whether what this guy told me is true or not. He did mention in our conversation that this may be a local software thing, that it didn't neccessarily pertain to all TWC customers or boxes.I have only assumed he would know or at least not state something as such. His statement would explain why I am having the very problems that I am having as it concerns to this box. Like already said, I can make all the changes in the cable box menu, but the box will change my settings back.

I do tend to agree with you on the level of knowledge,expertise or experience of many of these techs and/or tech support people.

I may still continue to dablle or even attempt to get a different box from TWC (model#) and see what I can come up with.

If anyone else comes up with any other ideas, please let me know.

Thanks,
Jeff

Yamaha RX-V1400
Axiom M60's,VP150,QS8's
Hsu VTF2
jfoxtrot9 #282156 12/11/09 09:05 PM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
Jeff:

Sorry to go on and on about this and there certainly is more important things to worry about in the world today but since these cable boxes are supplied, in bulk, to the cable companies by outside manufacturers(in this case Scientific Atlanta), you can see the nonsense in the statement of a so-called "local software thing". By the way, if you haven't done so already, it might be worthwhile "googling" the various forums on the different models, in this case yours, to see what problems people have had and how they dealt with them.

If you have the capability and not have to spend any more money, perhaps a change of cable boxes would be in order. Give it try, you have nothing to lose. There is something wrong with a piece of equipment that won't lock in your settings especially when in other cases, such as my own, in that what you want to do has already been done.

casey01 #282215 12/12/09 07:57 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
 Originally Posted By: casey01
Jeff:

Sorry to go on and on about this and there certainly is more important things to worry about in the world today but since these cable boxes are supplied, in bulk, to the cable companies by outside manufacturers(in this case Scientific Atlanta), you can see the nonsense in the statement of a so-called "local software thing". By the way, if you haven't done so already, it might be worthwhile "googling" the various forums on the different models, in this case yours, to see what problems people have had and how they dealt with them.

If you have the capability and not have to spend any more money, perhaps a change of cable boxes would be in order. Give it try, you have nothing to lose. There is something wrong with a piece of equipment that won't lock in your settings especially when in other cases, such as my own, in that what you want to do has already been done.

I have done just as you suggested. It appears that this has been an issue in the past with this same box. I have read somewhere, which I now cannot find again, that someone has had success with the 4300 model.

I called TWC and they do have that model which I can upgrade to. The tech I spoke with on the phone seemed to understand my problem although could not give me an answer as to why this box will not keep my desired setting, but after several minutes on hold gave me 3 options which we have already discussed here. One of course was to use component cable, which I am and understand very well may be the better option, even over HDMI right now.

I guess the only reason I am still messing with this thing is, it is silly to me that in this day of technological advances, I cannot use HDMI to TV and digital audio out to my AVR with a fairly new cable box.

Maybe I am the fool for continuing to waste my time on this. I guess Casey and I do think alike here.

Yamaha RX-V1400
Axiom M60's,VP150,QS8's
Hsu VTF2
jfoxtrot9 #282221 12/12/09 10:06 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
Well, scratch that 4300 model.
\:\(

Turns out, this is indeed a TWC "upgrade" to their Navigator boxes issue. The more I read on this, the more I am finding TWC customers having the same issues with no fixes or TWC answers.

Yamaha RX-V1400
Axiom M60's,VP150,QS8's
Hsu VTF2
jfoxtrot9 #282222 12/13/09 12:49 AM
C
aficionado
aficionado
C
 Originally Posted By: jfoxtrot9
Well, scratch that 4300 model.
\:\(

Turns out, this is indeed a TWC "upgrade" to their Navigator boxes issue. The more I read on this, the more I am finding TWC customers having the same issues with no fixes or TWC answers.

Sorry to hear that Jeff:

Very strange. As I mentioned in one of my earlier posts, the trouble with these cable boxes is they are well behind the curve in terms of up-to-date connections. The current units have only 1.0 HDMI capability(4 generations behind) which, even if you were successful in being able to hook it up, without the option of a simultaneous coax connection, you would STILL be limited to 2 channel audio.
It will probably be two or three years before they bring out 1.3 HDMI capable boxes and by then there will probably be some other upgraded version on the market.

Like I said before, with this limitation that they have placed on these cable boxes, aside from your Blu-Ray player,even a new AVR would be basically useless.

casey01 #282496 12/15/09 01:06 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Sounds like a huge pain. I bought a Yamaha RX-V663 about a year and a half ago for under $400 from J&R. I agonized for a while over whether or not it would adequately drive the Axioms. I can assure you that I have had zero problems. I would go deaf long before I had any issues with the AVR. I realize this is a bit off topic - just thought you might be reaching the IDGAF state with TWC.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Argon #282683 12/16/09 09:17 PM
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
I am happy with my AVR and will not be replacing soon. Too much money for the very minimal advantage, if any that I would gain. (thanks Axiom forum for educating me)

I am happy with TWC. It has been dependable for me for many years. (cable, internet and phone) I just have to deal with someones ignorance in respect to whomever decided to program this box this way.

As already mentioned, it makes no difference to the picture anyway. Everything is broadcast at best 720p or 1080i anyway.

Yamaha RX-V1400
Axiom M60's,VP150,QS8's
Hsu VTF2
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (tiwee), 369 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup