Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12
Re: Set on Axiom speakers, need avice
Micah #282447 12/15/09 02:35 AM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
Seeking –

I’m certain you’ll enjoy the Axiom’s you’ve selected. From what I can tell, the vast majority of folks on the internet who don’t like Axioms are the ones who’ve never heard them.

In regards to your audio processor needs, I’d steer clear of Emo stuff. Ya, you’ll find a ton of folks who slobber praise all over them, but they are not cutting edge by any stretch and you’ll find just as many folks who are disappointed with their stuff as the other half. With the way HD has been going, and you are buying new, get the most up to date processor you can afford. Currently, Denon has the edge. I’d look to either the 4310 or the 4810 depending on your budget. Both will drive the M60’s without issue, and will even drive the M80’s without a whimper. Don’t let MSRP scare you either. You can get them at least 30% under that. The Denon’s are virtually unlimited with how you can set them up. So much so, they baffle the best of us.

Micah #282450 12/15/09 02:40 AM
S
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
Micah,

You're really giving me a lot of great insight, and it's great to know that your earlier experience with HT is similiar to the way I want to do things.

One of my favorite things to do is consumer product research. I find something I am really interested in and try to learn as much as I am able. Sometimes, a lot of the more technical stuff goes way over my head, but it's always fun to read. As far as I am concerned, I think Axiom is a great value and great brand of speakers and I am sure everyone on this forum can attest to that.

The reason why I said I didn't know how to explain why I don't want to mix my speakers is because I didn't want to sound like I was getting too big for my own breeches. I really didn't want to mix two different quality speaker brands together. I'd rather piece the axioms together one by one and enjoy the sound quality on their own. I can be patient in that respect. I didn't want to cheapen the experience (I hope I don't offend any polk audio fans) by mixing lower quality speakers with the axiom. It really isn't Polk Audio's fault that I decided to go with their entry level speakers as my first foray into HT. I am sure their higher tier speakers are great.

Well, have to cut this short, will finish when I get back. Work calls.

Seeking

Speakers: Energy RC-70s, RC-LCR, RC-Rs and eD A2-300 x 2.
Receiver: Marantz 6006
fredk #282456 12/15/09 03:12 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: fredk

House: [noun] the most underated piece of audio equipment you will ever buy

Having just moved from an apartment 9 months ago I couldn’t agree with you more!

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
michael_d #282483 12/15/09 08:12 AM
S
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
michael_d,

Your suggestion on steering clear of Emotiva certainly does give me something to think about. A lot of people do give Emotiva a lot of praise and it seems like a lot of bang for the buck.

I really haven't heard a lot of complaints about their amps, and I would really like to try one out for myself before I come to any conclusions. I can see that a lot of members on this forum are partial to Denon's receivers.

I don't have any experience so far with pre/pro and amp combo, so any advice is always welcomed. Would you elaborate more on why you would advise against Emotiva products?

Seeking

Addendum: I just went back read your post and I am getting the impression that you're referring to Emotiva's processor and not their whole line of products in general. Correct me if I am wrong. What are your thoughts on their amps?

Basically, my needs are very simple. Best sound quality possible at a great value. I don't need anything fancy because I like to keep things simple. I will be looking more into Denons and Onkyos for my needs.

Last edited by Seekinganswers; 12/15/09 08:18 AM.

Seekinganswers #282486 12/15/09 10:02 AM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
Needs and wants are two different things. The Onkyo's/Denon's will fullfil your needs, Outlaw, Emotiva, any external amp will fill those desires.

Many of us on the forum are looking into pro/Dj amps, cheaper costs and more power \:\) Crown, Behringer, Qsc to name a few.

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #282510 12/15/09 05:01 PM
S
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
Just when I thought I had made up my mind with the M60s, I am now stricken again with indecision. I never knew it was so hard to pick just one set of speakers from one company. I would assume most of you have had this issue with Axiom speakers.

I figured that since I am now practicing patience and putting my system together one step at a time, I should save up for the best so I don't have any nagging questions of "what ifs."

I first considered saving enough initially to purchase a pre/pro and a set of M80s. Yeah, this makes a lot of sense since I am being patient and getting the best I can afford, but dropping down at least $2,500 initially for a two channel set up is more than I can swallow. That's when the M22s came to mind again.

I know the reason why I am in limbo with my decision is because the M22s, M60s, and M80s are all great deals at their respective price point, and realistically, the M60s and M80s aren't out of reach for being the company's top of the line tower speakers. I know I want to eventually get the M80s down the road when my system have enough processing and power to drive these speakers with authority. I feel like If I started off with the M60s, it'd be hard to cut my losses or try to sell the M60s to upgrade for the M80s. I just feel like the M60s would be a compromise between the M22s and the top-of-the-line M80s. By no means am I implying that the M60s are bad speaker, I just mean so more on the lines of cost.

I think the M22s are stout little speakers and an inexpensive way to enter into the higher quality speaker arena. I believe the M22s and my Onkyo 606 would be a good marriage. I would even go as far to to say they were meant for each other =). The M22s will only cost about $450 from FO and I can pair it up initially with the SVS PB12-NSD at a price point that I am more than happy to accept. The M22s will introduce me to two channel music listening and the 2.1 setup will be adequate for movies until I am able to piece all my speakers together. When it is time for the M80s to replace them, I could move these speakers to my room for computer and two channel use or even as rear surrounds.

I hate being indecisive because it is frustrating to me and maybe even to some of the members that have been keeping up with this post. Hopefully I will have it figured out soon. I guess this is part of the fun, doing your research, picking other people's brain, making the purchase, sitting back with complete satisfaction knowing you made the right choice with a silly grin on your face.

Seeking

Last edited by Seekinganswers; 12/15/09 05:05 PM.

Seekinganswers #282511 12/15/09 05:38 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Seeking, I believe you've answered your own question. There would be no point to get M60s if you intend to get M80s a little later on. Get the M22s for now, by all accounts they are wonderfull speakers...when funds permit later on, get your tower speakers and use the 22s in another room or maybe as rears in a 7.1 system.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #282514 12/15/09 05:54 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Adrian
Seeking, I believe you've answered your own question. There would be no point to get M60s if you intend to get M80s a little later on. Get the M22s for now, by all accounts they are wonderfull speakers...when funds permit later on, get your tower speakers and use the 22s in another room or maybe as rears in a 7.1 system.

I agree with Adrian - given that you have apparently made up your mind to eventually get the 80's. But....as I have posted on several occaisions, I have the M60's and it is difficult to imagine that any speaker could sound much better. I am normally one that does go ahead and wait the extra time or saves the extra money to get the Top of the Line - but I can assure you that once I hade the 60's set up, I have never regretted or second guessed my decision. YMMV.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Argon #282519 12/15/09 06:40 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Seeking, you haven't filled your profile out completely, where do you live? I think the best thing you could do is go audition a pair of Axioms for yourself. If you live near any of the Axiom regulars here, I'm sure one of them would be happy to have you. This is how I started my journey into Axiom ownership. Like you, I had all but made my mind up on a pair of M80's. Then when it came time to pull the trigger, I started to freeze because I was worried about spending so much money on speakers I'd never even listened to. That's when SRoode graciously invited me to come audition his set-up. The experience couldn't have been any better for me. Not only did those speakers completely blow me away, but the whole visit was just an excellent time, a very fond memory for me indeed. I was hooked from that moment, I HAD to have those speakers!

I'm not implying that you HAVE to get the M80's, I think you'll be very satisfied with any of the speakers you're considering. I'm just saying if you have the opportunity to audition any Axiom product at all, I would highly recommend it. And don't sweat the decision too hard, because their 30 day return policy is fool proof. You could try out each of these speakers in your home and return them within the 30 day trial period and then try another pair until you find the one's you are happy with.

The same also goes for the Emotiva's. And as far as your choice of either the M22's or M60's goes, I don't recall anyone having problems with Emotiva's powering them. It's when you upgrade to the M80's that they can be problematic. M80's are finicky about what they want powering them. So if you think you will eventually wind up with M80's, then perhaps you should look elsewhere. I have the Emotiva XPA-3 pushing my M80's, but there was a learning curve involved in teaching them to 'get along'. Oh yes, the M80's are definately the bullies of the playground! \:\)

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #282522 12/15/09 06:51 PM
S
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
I usually don't take a lot of time on any forums to fill out profiles. I usually have a hard time figuring them out and just want to get to the meat and potatoes of reading and posting.

I am currently stationed in Little Rock Air Force Base. I've only been here for about a year and haven't really gotten to know the whole place too well.

I do plan to pair up the M80s with an XPA-5. I haven't heard any issues with those two working together and I figure that would be enough power for me for a while. If the M80s come out with a new version or some new iteration of the XPA-2s, I would definitely do that combo, but that's down the line and it hurts my bank account to even entertain that thought right now.

There are a lot of times when I try to rationalize myself out of spending money on this hobby, but forums like these fuels my addiction and urges to spend money.

Micah, I was reading your thread on your ordeal with the Ep-800 subs. Got close to the end and it got crazy so I couldn't finish the thread. What sub are you running now or did you ever get it figured out?

Seeking

Last edited by Seekinganswers; 12/15/09 06:53 PM.

Page 4 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 6 11 12

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020