Rate Thread
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12
Re: Set on Axiom speakers, need avice
Seekinganswers #282371 12/14/09 07:43 PM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
Seeking - I have a very similar setup to yours (M60, QS8, VP100, older SVS PB12-NSD) currently driven by an Onkyo 805. I "moved up" from a Denon 1804 a while back, but honestly, I did it because of processing rather than amplification. My room is quite a bit larger than yours, and the system really plays as loud as I need it to. I went from 5.1 to 7.1 and, in retrospect, the only thing it really did was scratch that itch. I do not notice a dramatic improvement, because the QS8's are already so good in 5.1.

My immediately previous system was a (decent) Polk sub/sat system. The Axioms remain a very significant improvement.

I went through the same process as you relative to the other Axiom models. I have heard the M80's, albeit in a different room. No regrets.

I ran the M60's without a sub for a while (saving up...) and thought they were just great with music. The sub is a big deal for Home Theatre, though.

I feel confident that you will enjoy the Axiom system you described, even without additional purchases.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
grunt #282376 12/14/09 08:18 PM
devotee
devotee
If you're still looking for a vice I recommend single malt scotch and women.

PeachTree 65se, PeachTree D5 and SVS SB1000 - Stereo
M80s, M22s, SVS PB3000

Listener #282378 12/14/09 08:28 PM
S
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
Tomtuttle,

Thanks for the perspective. There's so much anticipation for the Emotiva UMC-1 that I do not hope it fails to deliver. If the UMC-1 turns out that it isn't what I was looking for, I will probably purchase an Onkyo 707 or a newer iteration when the time comes and pair that with the XPA-5.

Listener,

Haha, I have plenty of vices to keep me occupied but I prefer light beer on most days and darker beers for enjoyment. As far as women goes, I am trying to avoid them in order to buy these speakers =). Once I get all of my toys out the way, I'll try to dive back into the sea of fish. Hey, and maybe these speakers will help blow them out the water so they're easier to catch =).

Seeking

Last edited by Seekinganswers; 12/14/09 08:30 PM.

Speakers: Energy RC-70s, RC-LCR, RC-Rs and eD A2-300 x 2.
Receiver: Marantz 6006
Seekinganswers #282379 12/14/09 08:38 PM
J
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
J
 Originally Posted By: Seekinganswers
Once I get all of my toys out the way,

Does that ever happen?

Jason
M80 v2
VP160 v3
QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
jakewash #282386 12/14/09 09:37 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I only get them out of my way to make room for new ones \:D

Dan
On-Wall M5HP LCR, QS8 & EP500 in 7.1
jakewash #282425 12/15/09 12:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: jakewash
 Originally Posted By: Seekinganswers
Once I get all of my toys out the way,

Does that ever happen?

Not in my experiences.

There is always a newer, better, sleeker toy out there waiting for us when we're done playing with our current toy. But I suppose the same can be said about women.

On the subject of Axiom speakers... As many others have already commented, I'm sure you will definately be delighted in the upgrade from your Polks to the M60 combo. I remember wanting to get every single thing I desired in my HT all at once just like you, so that I could sit back and enjoy my system to the fullest right out of the gate. However I now have a different point of view... I am now more inclined to piece a system together one piece at a time (as much as it can be that is. Naturally you can't just buy a set of speakers and not have anything to hook them up to and drive them with). This way I can really research my purchase thoroughly and make sure I've purchased the equipment that best fits my needs. And it also let's me hear the differences that each component makes to the package as a whole. Otherwise if you get everything you could possibly get, hook it all up, hit play and it sounds like CRAP, you're not going to have a clear picture of what could be causing the problem.

By anchoring your HT with a few solid pieces that you know work well together, and putting the rest together one piece at a time, you get a better understanding of what part does what, and how it effects the rest of the equipment.

For instance I've test driven a few Blu-Ray players out and have yet to find the one that really makes my hairs stand up on end. My next lab rat will be the Oppo unit that's been touted around here since it came to market. I'm hoping it does everything I want a Blu-Ray player to do. If not, then I'll send it back and keep looking.

Good luck in your quest! ;\)

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #282426 12/15/09 12:20 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
I'm starting to think of moving to a detached house with lots of space between neighbors so I can enjoy my HT at reference levels with out the constant guilt and eventual complaints.

House: [noun] the most underated piece of audio equipment you will ever buy

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
grunt #282428 12/15/09 12:27 AM
axiomite
axiomite
 Quote:
My pocketbook has learned from experience to take things one step at a time in this hobby because often what you think you need you really don’t.

Excellent advice Dean. I bought an inexpensive refurb. Sherwood receiver that I used for 1.5 years while I figured out all the high def. stuff. It gave me time to read and figure out what it was I really wanted in a receiver. I am now quite happy with my Denon 2808 with a mere 110 wpc. It has all the bells and whistles important to me plus pre-outs if I ever win several million and buy a mansion. ;\)

Fred

-------
Blujays1: Spending Fred's money one bottle at a time, no two... Oh crap!
Micah #282435 12/15/09 01:04 AM
S
old hand
OP Offline
old hand
S
Micah,

I guess when I say get my toys out the way, I meant just all the speakers to hold me off for a while. Then everything else will come one by one.

I think I could use some of your wisdom. I like the idea of piecing the speakers together piece by piece and hearing how each component adds to the experience.

I am really interested in getting into two channel listening. I am going to purchase the M60s as my first upgrade and see how they sound alone and hear what they can do for music. I am sure they will sound great, and this way I can satisfy my urges sooner. After I spend some time with the M60s, I will come back and ask for suggestions on what the next upgrade after that will be.

I will not be combining any of my new speakers with my old ones. Some may frown upon that, and I don't really know how to explain why I feel that way.

Seeking

Last edited by Seekinganswers; 12/15/09 01:05 AM.

Speakers: Energy RC-70s, RC-LCR, RC-Rs and eD A2-300 x 2.
Receiver: Marantz 6006
Seekinganswers #282444 12/15/09 02:15 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I forgot to point out that it also helps you appreciate each component more when you unwrap it, plug it in, and enjoy just that piece rather than plugging 15 things into eachother. Don't get me wrong, you'll love a 9.1 system right out of the gate just fine. It's just a bit more savoring when you put it together one or two pieces at a time.

I think you've done a very good job at researching your purchase so far. Many out there run out and buy the first thing that they see when they walk into a big-box store or open the first page of a Home Audio magazine without ever giving it a listen, weighing the pro's and con's, pricing the competition, or posting on a company's forum to see what the people who live with their products on a daily basis have to say about them. So kudo's to you for that.

Not wanting to mix-n-match speakers was also where I was at when I bought my Epic 80/800 combo. My previous HT system was comprised of not only different types of speakers (of my 6 surround speakers, 2 were direct radiating, and the other 4 were diffuse surrounds), but also two different manufacturers (Cerwin Vega towers, center channel & subwoofer. Cambridge Soundworks surrounds). At the time I was very happy with what it did for me. Keep in mind I was upgrading from a simple, cheap Sony rack system with Aiwa surround and center channel speakers... so just about anything would have been an improvement. But once it was time to upgrade again, I wanted to go with one company for all of my speaker needs, much as you are (besides your subwoofer). The reason for this is I didn't want to mix my mains that might be laid back sounding, with surrounds that might sound brighter... or vice/versa. I was also thinking about the asthetics, since the room they were going into doubles as our sales room, I wanted everything to 'flow', as well as possible.

I'm not here to say I have any regrets what-so-ever with my choice, as my expectations were exceeded beyond my wildest dreams... but I will say that I wouldn't go as far as to say that if you don't match all of your speakers to one brand name then you're doing something wrong. I think it's just up to whoever is putting together the HT system to decide if they want them all to match or not. So if you don't want to use your old speakers in your new system, if that works for you then go for it.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Page 3 of 12 1 2 3 4 5 11 12

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard