Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Can't kill the humming in my sub..help
iammongo #283372 12/22/09 06:07 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Mongo, a puzzling point here is that two of your observations appear to be directly contradictory: in 2)when you used the cheater plug, it should have broken any ground loop, and the fact that it didn't stop the hum indicates that a ground loop isn't the problem; in 5) when you disconnected the input cable from the sub, the hum stopped, which indicates that there was a ground loop which was broken by disconnecting the cable.

Since disconnecting the cable TV lead(a common ground loop source)didn't help, a ground loop isolator for the cable TV shouldn't help. You might try an audio frequency ground loop isolator such as this Xitel item between the receiver and the sub. However, the fact that the cheater plug didn't work, as mentioned above, raises a question as to whether this would be helpful.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #283394 12/22/09 01:55 PM
R
veteran
veteran
R
I don't think this is your problem, but I'll post what worked for me....

I had a hum whenever my AVR was connected to my plasma via HDMI. Turns out, they were on seperate circuits. When I plug the sub/AVR/and Projector all to one circuit= no hum. I haven't tried the plasma on the same circuit, it's on a dedicated circuit installed after the house was built above the fireplace.

I happened to find a "THX certified" Monster cable for real cheap and tried it, no difference from my $2 Monoprice cable.

JohnK #283447 12/22/09 07:03 PM
I
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I
 Originally Posted By: JohnK
Mongo, a puzzling point here is that two of your observations appear to be directly contradictory: in 2)when you used the cheater plug, it should have broken any ground loop, and the fact that it didn't stop the hum indicates that a ground loop isn't the problem; in 5) when you disconnected the input cable from the sub, the hum stopped, which indicates that there was a ground loop which was broken by disconnecting the cable.

Since disconnecting the cable TV lead(a common ground loop source)didn't help, a ground loop isolator for the cable TV shouldn't help. You might try an audio frequency ground loop isolator such as this Xitel item between the receiver and the sub. However, the fact that the cheater plug didn't work, as mentioned above, raises a question as to whether this would be helpful.

Thats one of the things that has been so frustrating...everytime i read something that makes sense (cheater plug for example), i run home and try it and get no results.

My daughter wanted to watch the half blood prince bluray last night so i fired up the sub to the same nasty buzz. I decided to try reinstalling the grounding screw and it worked, at least for last night. I'm going to have an electrician come over after christmas and look at a few things.

iammongo #283468 12/22/09 10:38 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I had a problem with a hum on my subwoofer. Here is the symptoms I had:
 Originally Posted By: terzaghi

hmmm. Here is the situation:

ground screw loosened a bit on the ep 500 and cable box plugged in= slight hum in subwoofer.

ground screw loosened a bit and cable box unpluged= slight hum turns in to a LOUD ROAR.... ?

ground screw tightened all the way back to normal with cable box plugged in= slight hum

ground screw tightend all the way back to normal with cable box unplugged= no hum.

My cable company is coming out saturday and I will have them install a ground isolator. Sounds like a ground Isolator on the cable box + ground screw tightened into original setting will eliminate my ground loop problem... what do you think?

what I don't understand is why the hum gets SO FRIGGIN' LOUD with the cable box unplugged from my receiver and the ground screw loosened...

weird!

If all else fails I will buy the axiom ground isolator, but I am going to try and convince my cable company that it is there fault (well it is) and see if they will do it free of charge... (hey it's worth a shot )

I ended up buying the axiom ground isolator (cable company had no clue what I was talking about. However, My cable company actually reimbursed me for the cost.

-David
terzaghi #283503 12/23/09 03:22 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'll throw in my strange story. When I built my home theater closet I had two seperate dedicated circuts run to it. One circut handles all of the computer equipment, the other handles all of the AV gear. I never noticed a hum at all through my M80's after I purchased the Emotiva until we were giving a presentation one day and I was sitting about 4 feet from it. Once the customers left I tried sitting back in the captians chair, and sure enough I didn't notice it from that distance. But it bugged me enough that I decided to try to get rid of it.

The first thing I tried was unplugging it from the AV circut and putting it on the room circut. The hum completely disappeared. What's strange to me about that is that both sets of dimmer lights, the air conditioner, and the mini-refrigerator we have in that room are all on that circut. I would have thought if anything those would have caused a problem, not my other electronics. Also, when I had the EP800 plugged into that circut it never experienced any sort of hum, so why did my M80's?

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #283540 12/23/09 04:50 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Just a thought...

Do you have a computer, wireless internet or a cellphone nearby your home theatre room. Could this cause any type of interference/hum with the subwoofer/home theatre system?

I’m armed and I’m drinking. You don’t want to listen to advice from me, amigo.

-Max Payne
BlueJays1 #283545 12/23/09 06:05 PM
I
frequent flier
OP Offline
frequent flier
I
My house is an electronics jungle
6 tv's
5 computers
4 cordless phones
3 cellular phones
2 internet routers
and a partride in a pear tree!!

iammongo #283547 12/23/09 06:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
LMAO... perfect!

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #283564 12/23/09 09:18 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Someone needs to write a guide on sub set up troubleshooting:

I suggest they call it "To Kill a Humming Sub".

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
BlueJays1 #283567 12/23/09 09:27 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: Dr.House
Just a thought...

Do you have a computer, wireless internet or a cellphone nearby your home theatre room. Could this cause any type of interference/hum with the subwoofer/home theatre system?

House, it's funny you mention cellphone interference. When I got my new electric wheelchair earlier this year, it came with two warning tags (that weren't supposed to be removed) stating that a cell phone should not be operated around the wheelchair because it can cause the wheelchair to drive out of control. Pretty absurd seeing that it's virtually impossible to not be around a cell phone that isn't in use these days.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,479
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (Kodiak), 1,324 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup