Print Thread
Rate Thread
Note to self: Storms and Salt Spray bad for EP500
#285096 01/04/10 01:00 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
We had a wicked nor'easter over the weekend. In an unusual twist of fate, PEI actually escaped the worst of it compared to neighboring New Brunswick and Nova Scotia but we still had winds gusting well over 100km/h, up to 160 reported in some areas. Roofs were lost (a restaurant on the tip of the Island was totally decapitated) and the combination of wind and high tides from the full moon did major flood damage in areas. Wharves were totally submerged or buried in ice and the tide even crept up some of the lower streets in the city of Charlottetown.

Again, in an unusual pattern, the North shore was actually hit less hard than the South so I had high winds but more rain than snow. Definitely not as serious as some. One effect though was that every now and then, when an unusually wind is just the right direction, salt spray flies over the bank down the road and lands on the utility poles probably 200 to 300 meters away. It builds up on the transformers and they start to spark like fireworks. It's actually rare that they blow from this but it looks like the pole could go on fire from the sparks.

Your first clue is that the lights start to regularly dim and flicker but the power doesn't go out, which is normally the next step. It just flickers and dims for hours until it subsides or something blows. I started unplugging things immediately, starting with the computer I was using, but by the time I got to the HT stuff, the EP500 was making a regular loud tapping noise. I unplugged it immediately without waiting to trying to identify it further.

It was a loud, slightly electronic, slightly physical, sounding tap. That's the best way I can describe it. It wasn't a thud anywhere near the LFE scale and it wasn't a click either. It was something well in between.

Everything stayed unplugged until morning and I resigned myself to read a book with a camping headlamp on to deter the annoying effects of the constantly dimming lights.

The next morning everything in the house was fine when I plugged it back in, including the sub. Although the PC did scare me with it's failure at a 'self repair' when it booted. Another reboot was enough to clear it's worries though. It just panicked the first time. ;\)

I came out lucky. There was a lot house damaged across the Maritimes from the wind and flooding. At least two lives lost. One rather unpleasantly as as whiteouts and the noise of the wind allowed a lady to walk smack into some heavy snow removal equipement operating outside her apartment building. My condolences to her family and friends.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Re: Note to self: Storms and Salt Spray bad for EP500
Murph #285098 01/04/10 01:39 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
My Mom just sent some pics of the wharf submerged back in my hometown. They are very dark as they were taken at midnight but if you focus long enough, you can make out enough of the wharf to realize that it is submerged by several inches to a foot of water.

A fisherman who braved it out to try and tie down his boat better with the help of those nearby said that he could feel that section of the wharf was moving like a snake under his feet. I have no idea why his boat is even still in the water at this time of year. Yes, there is 'unusually' no thick ice in the harbor yet but there is no fishing season open here either, that I am aware of. Don't quote me on that though, some of these guys buy some obscure licenses.

For those who like to quote the Bible. The end of the world has been coming here for ever. Just about any storm of this magnitude turns our sea red. Maybe not quiet 'blood red' but it's a start. When our red soil gets washed into the rivers it makes for an interesting looking effect. Add in all the fish kills over the last few years and doom is pretty much upon us. heh heh.

Unfortunately, the dull grey day and the auto-setting on my Mom's camera did nothing to bring out what I'm sure was a richer red in the water.

Murph #285099 01/04/10 01:57 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Wow, that is darn wicked Murph ... I'm glad you made it safe throughout the storm. The top two pictures, is that a boat ramp in the foreground?

A hurricane type storm *with* ice? That has to be nasty.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #285113 01/04/10 03:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Wow Murph. That's pretty intense. Glad you're ok!

M80v2 | VP150v2 | QS8v2
SVS Pci+ 20-39
Emotiva UMC-1 & LPA-1
M22ti + T-Amp, in the Office
PeterChenoweth #285321 01/05/10 12:34 PM
Murph Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Thanks Guys. Although I wasn't in any real danger in my area, I appreciate the kind words. Amazing the difference that just an hour or two of distance can make. I should have meentioned, "home town" meant where I grew up, not where I am now.

In a related story, I heard a radio interview this morning with an 87 year old lady who was rescued from her home as the water was just starting to creep over the edge of her bed. While not a major disaster by any stretch, it reminds you that sometimes it can be one for an individual.

Last edited by Murph; 01/05/10 12:35 PM.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044