QS8 v2
PB13 Ultra
Denon 3808
Samsung 85" Q70
Re: Oppo Blu-Ray now has subtitle shift
jakewash #285958 01/08/10 05:30 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Yes Nick, your attempts to derail this thread about bellbottoms is getting quite annoying!

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Nick B #285962 01/08/10 05:44 PM
M
connoisseur
connoisseur
M
 Originally Posted By: nickboros
It seems that the firmware update containing the subtitle shift option is now official. I think it was official on Tuesday. I turned on my player last night and it automatically asked if I wanted to update. The funny thing is, I rented a Coffin Joe movie from Netflix that arrived on Tuesday and it needed this subtitle shift option to view the film with the correct aspect ratio on my TV. Running into movies that need this option are quite rare.

So have you tried it yet? This feature is has been desired by 2.35 scope screen users for years. If it works well, the Oppo will be on 2.35 user’s most wanted list for sure. I know I’ve wanted this for quite some time. I just keep forgetting to plug the Oppo into the lan to download the update.

The rest of you old farts are dating yourselves. (coming from a 40 something old fart granfather)

michael_d #285964 01/08/10 05:57 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: michael_d
It seems that the firmware update containing the subtitle shift option is now official. I think it was official on Tuesday. I turned on my player last night and it automatically asked if I wanted to update. The funny thing is, I rented a Coffin Joe movie from Netflix that arrived on Tuesday and it needed this subtitle shift option to view the film with the correct aspect ratio on my TV. Running into movies that need this option are quite rare.

So have you tried it yet? This feature is has been desired by 2.35 scope screen users for years. If it works well, the Oppo will be on 2.35 user’s most wanted list for sure. I know I’ve wanted this for quite some time. I just keep forgetting to plug the Oppo into the lan to download the update.

The rest of you old farts are dating yourselves. (coming from a 40 something old fart granfather)

I haven't been on a date for quite some time, whippersnapper!

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
michael_d #285967 01/08/10 06:07 PM
N
Nick B Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
N
 Originally Posted By: michael_d

Yes, I used it on the Coffin Joe DVD and it worked great for the couple minutes that I was testing the feature. From what I have read it is a more difficult thing to do with Blu-Ray's. I'll watch the entire movie this weekend and try out a couple of Blu-Ray's as well to see how it works on those.

ClubNeon #285971 01/08/10 07:54 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon
I'm going to just stick with my 60GB PS3 + DV-79AVi combination which covers all the formats which the Oppo can play (plus some it can't, like wave files).

I'll just wait to see what Oppo does next. They're off to a good start, but "good" isn't enough for the cost of the player.

My official list of dislikes (in the order which I remember them):
1. Doesn't play .wav files on removable media (which is the format of all my ripped music, and it just silly to not support).
2. The general recommendation is to turn off BD-Live because of compatibility issues.
3. The general recommendation to to turn off secondary audio because of sound quality issues. (Sorry if I get a BD 2.0 player, I want to make use of the BD 2.0 features.)
4. Doesn't play many new releases on the day they come out; requiring a firmware update. (I've never had a BD that the PS3 has not played perfectly.)
5. Doesn't take into account the HDMI handshake delay, and cuts off the beginning of the first track of CDs and SACDs.
6. Having to pay for fancy analog circuits which I'll never use.

So what I have now, provides me with what I really need, and while a single player would be nice, Oppo's first go has enough little niggles which would have enough impact on my ability to enjoy the player, for the price which they are asking.

They're planning a new BDP-80 for release in the coming months. It's supposed to be cheaper than the 83. But it has yet to be announced where the price reduction is coming from. I'm hoping it deals with #6, but still keeps the SACD and DVD-A support. A slightly faster DSP would take care of #3. #2 and #4 will improve as the firmware matures, and more studios test their discs with Oppo's player before shipping (that's why the PS3 never has trouble, because no studio would ship a disc which doesn't play on it). #1 can be fixed in firmware, and having the balls to stand up to the copyright cops. Unfortunately all Oppo DVD players with HDMI have always suffered from #5, but enough people are complaining now (because nearly everyone is using HDMI) that they may finally deal with it.

That was a superb summation.
Thanks so much.

I had been considering this player sometime this year and although not all of your list would apply to me, i have to agree about #5 the most. For the price, one would not expect such an inadequate quirk in the machine.

Last edited by chesseroo; 01/08/10 07:54 PM.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #285980 01/08/10 08:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: chesseroo
I had been considering this player sometime this year and although not all of your list would apply to me, i have to agree about #5 the most. For the price, one would not expect such an inadequate quirk in the machine.

Apparently not everyone is noticing or experiencing the cut-off beginning of audio discs. It may be dependent on the equipment involved. One of the people who continually complains about it on AVS, also experienced it with a previous Oppo DVD player. Several others noted the same.

While I've not seen a the Oppo BD player in person, the president of the company where I work bought one of their DVD players on my recommendation. It is completely repeatable on his player. Turn on the player, open the draw, insert a CD or SACD, and press play. The draw closes, and the disc starts to play as the HDMI handshake is still going on, and thus the beginning of the first track is missed. Hit, track back after the handshake has finished, and you'll hear the beginning just fine.

And I've never owned bellbottoms, nor any purple pants made of any fabric. I do have some shirts which are a 50/50 poly/cotton blend, but I generally prefer cotton t-shirts. -- Just to stay on topic.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #285985 01/08/10 09:04 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: ClubNeon

While I've not seen a the Oppo BD player in person, the president of the company where I work bought one of their DVD players on my recommendation. It is completely repeatable on his player. Turn on the player, open the draw, insert a CD or SACD, and press play. The draw closes, and the disc starts to play as the HDMI handshake is still going on, and thus the beginning of the first track is missed. Hit, track back after the handshake has finished, and you'll hear the beginning just fine.

Don't you just hate it when you give a recommendation and then some quirk that you just didn't know about pops up?
I put Abit motherboards in two systems a number of years back and then out of the blue Abit calls a bunch of boards back produced over a couple of years due to high RMA based on cheap caps used in their production.
I ended up replacing those two boards BEFORE Abit had the recall so these people forked out money for something else because of the failures.
I ended up selling my Abit board on eBay for $50 (got multiple bids) because although the board had blown caps, it was still functioning. I suspect some electrical amateur decided to fix the caps themselves and got a great quality board for cheap.

I was still stunned it sold at all.
One person's trash is another person's treasure.

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #286018 01/09/10 02:25 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
While not exactly the same thing, I feal really bad when I really hype a movie that looks great on the previews, so I get a bunch of friends to go, and it blows! Even more embarrassing is when you've already seen the movie & you tell a friend they 'HAVE TO GO SEE IT' because you loved it so much, and they think it sucked!

After that happened to me a few times I stopped strongly encouraging people to go see movies I really liked & started saying, "well I thought it was pretty good, you might lke it", so that I didn't feel like to big a schmuck if they wound up hating it.

The last movie I pushed really hard was 'No Country for Old Men'... I seem to be the only one in my group of friends who liked that movie. Everyone else I told 'HAD TO GO SEE IT' said it was interesting up until the end, but then it was a huge let down.

Oh well, to each his own.

My Stuff :

M80's
QS8's
VP150
EP800
Denon 4802
Emotiva XPA-3
Samsung BD-P3600
Sharp 65 Inch Aquos LCD
Micah #286021 01/09/10 02:40 AM
axiomite
axiomite
The "professional" catch phrases that the advertisers slap all over a new release...."Must see movie of 2009"...."Inspiring"...."Leaves the viewer breathless"....usually set up many of these movies for a disappointment by making the public expect so much.

I wonder if they hire someone to think up these phrases?

"Hi, I'm here to apply for the Catch Phrase job. I've got a PHD in BS, and ten years of writting AMAZING! HEARTWRENCHING! SIMPLY ASTOUNDING! catch phrases."

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,464
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 175 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup