Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Re: ? regarding analog and digital playback using CD's
#28603 12/22/03 11:49 PM
aficionado
aficionado
I'm actually surprised their isn't more people being anal about possible sound degradation with one extra analog connection in the system (instead of a digital one). Maybe that'll be the new snake oil product, interconnects specially designed for connection from the multi-outs on a DVD player to the receiver that will 'improve' the sound of your multichannel music....

"Chickens don't clap."
#28604 12/22/03 11:59 PM
axiomite
axiomite
In reply to:

Y, your original question appears to be based mainly on possible differences between the DACs in the player and in the receiver. DACs cost the equipment manufacturers roughly $1-$10 apiece and have reached a high state of excellence. Although there are measurable differences between them, it's highly doubtful whether they create audible differences in the real world. My view is not to be concerned about the matter, and if you're using the coaxial digital connection, continue to do so.

There is definately a difference in sound between using my Pioneer DVD players DAC's and the DAC's in my Rotel. I currently use the optical output of my Pioneer, because my Rotel DAC's sound better. When I get the Denon 2900 I'll check again.

#28605 12/23/03 04:19 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In reply to:

1. Doubt it. I see no reason why the DVD player's DAC would be better than the reciever's DAC for CDs and vice versa for DVDs. You have to watch what you read. There is a lot of crap floating around out there...

Many companies use different DACs for DVD and CD players. It can be easily seen in specs and in reviews. Usually stand alone CD players focus on giving the best signal in 2 stereo...be it isolated stronger power supply...vibration dampening in the inside of the chassis. Although minimal this still adds value to a transparent clean signal. (I can see JohnK alarms dinging)
DVD players needs to put costs towards ADC and processing of video so cheaper DACs would normally be installed. Sound maybe not as noticeable unless you have ears like Spiff and me. We hear the difference.

In reply to:

Although there are measurable differences between them, it's highly doubtful whether they create audible differences in the real world.

If you think all DACs between all players are the same (something JohnK would say ) then go be happy with your $85 china made DVD player. Power to you guys. Your Ford Windstar is as fast a BMW 328 in city streets too...because of traffic.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,473
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044
pmbuko 16,441
SirQuack 13,840
CV 12,077
MarkSJohnson 11,458
Who's Online Now
1 members (rrlev), 664 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Newsletter Signup