Thrilled
#28630 12/22/03 09:33 PM
B
Beck Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
B
Finally got the following system fully installed and balanced (using auto and manual adjustments) with wires in wall, etc.:

Yamaha RV1400
2 x M22i
2 x QS8 (return stock)
1 x VP150 (return stock)
1 x Hsu VTF-3 (rosewood blemished model)

This system for music and HT is incredible. Thanks to all that provided advice a couple of months ago. You guys (and Axiom and Hsu support) are great. A couple of questions: (1) I pre-wired for rear speakers (large room 20 x 24 - no problem with sound volume and quality given existing system) - how much will rear speakers add to the HT experience? If I add them, it will probably be a second set of M22i; (2) will add widescreen HDTV sometime next year - any strong recommendations on cost effective, quality rear projection (plasma too expensive)? Oh, we watch very little TV overall. I heard Intel is introducing a liquid crystal on silicon chip in January that will drive down prices on higher quality rear projection systems throughout '04 (to compete with TI's DLP).

Thanks.

Re: Thrilled
#28631 12/23/03 02:21 AM
devotee
devotee
If you are interested in Hi REz audio. It would be a great idea to hook up a pair of M22's as the rear speakers for that setup. All you would have to do is hook up the rear speaker outputs from the DVD player into the surround back inputs on the Reciever instead of the side surround inputs. The speakers would still be hooked up into the reciever as back surround channels in DTS and Dolby soundtracks. So I would definitely recommend either M2's or M22's for the back surround channels.

#28632 12/23/03 02:44 AM
local
local
Unless you want to go with a heavy and bulky CRT rear projection set that will need periodic professional calibration, I don't think there are any really good values in rear projection sets just yet. The good ones, Toshiba LCoS and Samsung DLP are expensive compared to what I think is coming. I don't think there has been enough competition yet to resolve all the performance issues or bring the cost down. Philips has a couple of LCoS sets but shipping has been delayed because of some defects. I saw one a couple of weeks ago and it just didn't look as good as the Samsung DLP. It was probably adjusted poorly but at around $4000 for the 55" set I just can't see it. I suspect that many who buy now are going to be buying again within two years, or wishing they could.

Mark
#28633 12/23/03 03:44 AM
axiomite
axiomite
The jump from 5.1 to 7.1 is not earth shattering. I've done it, and if I had to do it over again, probably wouldn't due to the added cost. (I had to buy a second amp as well as the second pair of speakers.)

If you do want to make that jump, and HT is your main goal, as oppposed to Hi-Rez audio, I'd get the M2i's. They'll work well for effects, and cost much less than a pair of M22's.

As far as a TV goes...I'd hold off buying anything until you find out what effect Intel has on the market. From what I've been reading, the best quality new technology has been LCoS. (Better than plasma, dlp, and LCD) but it's been buggy, and very pricey. If they can work the bugs out, and bring the price down, that may be the way to go. But it'll be at least a year or more before the Intel ripple really takes effect. (If it does at all.)

Good luck!

#28634 12/23/03 12:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I'll second that TV part. I want to upgrade my 25" GE, but I can wait a year or two to see what shakes out with LCOS and other technologies and to have some prices continue to drop as well. I think the only way I'll do anything before then is if something would happen to my current TV.

#28635 12/23/03 04:11 PM
B
Beck Offline OP
regular
OP Offline
regular
B
Snippy, MD55, Spiffnme & Zarak,

Thanks for the advice. I agree on the current state of quality projection technology/semiconductors. I've got a 27" analog Toshiba that works just fine for now. Suspect I will be able to get a high quality, large screen, small profile, dependable HDTV for 1-2k this time next year.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044