Page 13 of 20 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 19 20
Re: Cold Weather and Global Warming Thread
Adrian #286904 01/14/10 11:53 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

I wasn't going to mention it BUT I did the same as Mark and Rick. One of you fellows got to change.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #286906 01/15/10 12:05 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
I really hurt my eyes looking at your new avatar!

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
tomtuttle #286909 01/15/10 12:11 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle

New? You must be getting old Tom.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

tomtuttle #286915 01/15/10 01:03 AM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W
 Originally Posted By: tomtuttle

I just noticed Adrians new avatar...........duh.

Rick

Wid #286941 01/15/10 04:23 AM
aficionado
aficionado
Nobody is going to attack The Guardian as a biased source? LOL You can't believe anything you read there. ;\)

Some portion of the worlds ice will melt in a period of warming. In the subsequent cooling period, more moisture will again be captive in glaciers. So it goes.

The pernicious idea that earth will become like Venus unless we halt all economic activity and become vegans is enough for me to dismiss those loons. "Greenhouse gasses" is still part of the official vocabulary, right?

bigwill2 #286972 01/15/10 11:40 AM
old hand
old hand
Adrian,

You were probably here first, so I've changed to something else.

Now this is how you learn Philosophy :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tm0Uq08xXhY
madjak #286973 01/15/10 11:42 AM
old hand
old hand
This time

Adrian #286978 01/15/10 02:05 PM
axiomite
axiomite
I'm glad this thread has come back to some middle ground. I left it for a while as it was swinging dangerously close to the far edges of political views. Not that that is a bad thing, unless civility is lost, just that I agree that not much gets accomplished on either side of that swing.

Speaking of fuels only for a second, and leaving world weather out of it, I'd be interested to hear more on what people think would happen if a new 100% green, 100% renewable energy source was announced as being invented tomorrow.

Personally, I would love to see a clean, self sustaining replacement for fossil fuels. It's hard to argue that pollution is not a bad thing and that our reliance on a diminishing (yes, the rate can be debated but lets leave that aside for a sec.) fuel source can and will continue to, cause issues.

I do not think that has to mean the end of a particular way of life but I can definitely see where the fears lie and depending on where and who invents it, it could be justified. In a world of trademarks and patents and where control over technology is equal to wealth and power, it's easy to envision a power-shift or a struggle that gets out of hand if such a technology is perfected.

The first big effect.
While I have no desire to see jobs lost, I'd have no problem seeing oil conglomerates lose their market over time. They have way too much control over the worldwide pricing of their own product and I'm certain that at the high levels, enough money has been made that they can still live out their lives a lot more comfortable than the rest of us.

However, I think that even if the invention is an instant 'eureka moment' the shift won't happen in a day and they will have time to adapt or even take control of the greener technologies (although I'd personally rather see it reside elsewhere.)

Even if a totally green, cost effective power was invented tomorrow, it would take forever to implement nation wide, much less world wide. While it might be cost effective in relation to energy production, the new technology will be most certainly expensive. These questions and points remain.

- Despite many energy advances, many nations are still relying on coal. Could they afford to go green even if it was there?

- Even in a Utopia where the government offers consumer incentives, govs can not risk bankrupting themselves. So how long will it take before anyone but the upper class can afford the new technology. Then eventually the upper middle, middle and so on. What happens to the poor family who can't afford to fill their oil tank in the winter, much less replace it while the fuel delivery businesses convert to the new tech or go out of business because it is no longer lucrative. A total switchover is hopefully coming someday, but it must be done at a pace that allows for gov. aid and incentives so that the little guys do not get left behind.

- Will the energy transmission infrastructure have to be completely changed or can electric companies adapt or will every car & household be able to provide their own energy? Again, I bet the transformation will be agonizingly slow. Too fast, the fears of economic issues come true, but at an acceptable pace, the economy simply shifts from the old to the new.

- How would the ownership of the new tech be shared worldwide? Question, would the US (or any nation) be willing to go to Haiti tomorrow and build a new power plant from this newly invented magic tech. (pretending for a moment it existed) or would it be keeping it within it's borders, citing legal issues and such, in order to gain edge in power over their enemies or competing trade nations.

- What happens in the middle east if oil becomes instantly worthless. Again, the "instantly" part is simply not going to happen. I don't pretend to be able to guess how many years a total transformation to a new green energy would take, but I'd again suggest it will take a long time. However, the vision of it becoming worthless would start to take hold.

-- How will the economy shift. Does it have to crash? I don't think it 'has' to. If my less than expertise guess that a transition would be very slow is true, then I suspect that there would be some initial unrest but that eventually jobs would shift into the production of the new tech, equipement and it's delivery. Eventually, competing versions will be developed that get around the initial 'super-patent' and that will divert more industry, spending, jobs etc.

Car factories are already revamping for the slow market for electric cars. So, we know they can adapt slowly but how quickly could they adapt to new super fuel invention? Again, it could mean some don't survive but an optimistic view is that others will divert or create new jobs as new factories are build or revamped. Impossible to predict for sure.

- What happens to the pricing of goods?
Take the auto industry again for example. What happens when the immense costs of energy are removed from their budgets? Big corporations will likely be the first to adopt a new efficient but initially expensive technology, simply because they can afford it. After implementation costs are removes, I'd hazard that the net cost to produce a car will be reduced by an amazing amount of money.

However, will that savings eventually be passed on to the consumer? We certainly know that traditionally, it's very rare to see a company say, "Oh hey, we are lowering our prices because oil went down this month and we wan't to pass the savings on to you." Increasing prices due to oil price increases however are commonplace. The currency exchange rates are another example. We certainly didn't see any savings here in Canada for local prices when products could be bought much cheaper in the US when our dollar was doing well.

Competition will drive savings to the consumer eventually but again, I'd say it will take it's sweet old time.

OK, my totally boring conference call is over so it's back to real work. If you are actually silly enough to still be reading this over sized post. Remember, I'm posing questions, not arguing for either side you might see as radical.

To summarize: Green, renewable tech will be an important achievement for mankind. I think, even hope, that it will not be an instant transformation. Experts will never agree on what the short term effects will be at a society level. There are simply too many questions and it's based on way to many variables. Two of the largest being 'time to implement' and how much of a commodity it becomes vs. the pleasant but unlikely "overnight savior of the world" theory.

Environment aside (as I promised I'd do,) I'm guessing the best social eventuality lies somewhere in the middle.

Last edited by Murph; 01/15/10 02:20 PM. Reason: added final thought

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #287008 01/15/10 05:52 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Emily Latella:: I don't know what all the fuss is about CLIMAX Change!?! It is a perfectly normal thing.....

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Argon #287028 01/15/10 07:22 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur

Right now there are huge incentives 50% of purchase price or more, potential selling back of extra energy produced and potential tax breaks, though home equity loans, for buying solar power here in Arizona making the price very affordable. I could mount the system on my back fence and make it so it tracks the sun for optimal electrical generation. And we do tend to get a lot of sun here in Phoenix, “The Valley of the Sun.”

However, from an investment standpoint it’s a bad one right now. Going solar was one of the first things I looked into when I bought my house because I hate the idea of being slaved to huge monopoly owned government regulated (worst of both worlds) electrical grid. But, best case scenario for me (no equity in my home to borrow against) the most likely return on investment I could achieve over the life of a system is about 2%. While the worst (safest) investment instrument I’m presently using has and ROI of 4 % the best was over 30% last year because of the depressed state of the stock market. So for me it’s not a matter of costing to much up front but rather it just being a bad investment unless something changes. As for solar water heating, natural gas is so cheap here I wouldn’t even consider it.

I would still love to have my own solar power and heat capability just for peace of mind, but for now it’d be a waste of my money.

My biggest reason for alternative energy sources still based on national security. Imagine if the 911 terrorists hadn’t been stuck in their typical narrow-minded headline grabbing doctrine. What if instead they had crashed the planes into 4 of the 5 major oil refineries serving the U.S. Even if the actual damage had not been crippling the ensuing economic panic would have been massive. I assure you that many areas of the U.S. would have declared martial law.

3M80 2M22 6QS8 2M2 1EP500 Sony BDP-S590 Panny-7000 Onkyo-3007 Carada-134 Xbox Buttkicker AS-EQ1
Page 13 of 20 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 19 20

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters