Rate Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Plasma TV "break-in" is a myth?
SirQuack #287002 01/15/10 05:46 PM
P
aficionado
aficionado
P
Wow, I just noticed I didn't even read the thread title correctly... I thought it sais "burn-in", not "break-in."

Potatohead #287006 01/15/10 05:49 PM
W
Wid Offline
axiomite
axiomite
W

Sorry to hear of the difficulties you're having with Samsung Cam. There's no excuse to treat folks like that.

Rick

"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Wid #287034 01/15/10 07:53 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
The most ridiculous part is that "supposedly" the person that told me I was supposed to get a refund/replacement isn't even authorized to replace a unit. Basically what was happening (or so I was told) was that every other customer service representative I spoke to after originally being told I would get a replacement/refund, was just reading from the notes on the computer, not getting further confirmation. After all the aforementioned phone calls, and no return phone calls for a week and a half, I didn't get past tier one support until I told them that I was going to get my lawyer involved. After I said that, they immediately put me through to a tier three representative, and then he informed me that my TV was ready and that I never should have been told by the representative I was getting a replacement/refund. At tier three, he said that he wasn't even authorized to give that authorization.

So now I wait again. My TV has been in the shop a week today, and haven't received a phone call from the repair shop or Samsung; surprise surprise.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Ya_basta #287039 01/15/10 08:31 PM
R
veteran
veteran
R
Interesting timing on this thread. I recently bought a new plasma and was planning on breaking it in as discussed on AVS forum. I was planning on doing that to make sure the pixels break in consistently, not to avoid burn in. Interesting that the break in disk idea is being questioned.

On that front, anyone have thoughts on how to find someone to calibrate the tv? I was going to try to do it myself, but after reading about it on AVS I decided there is no way I'll get it "right," and even if by some miracle I did get it "right" I'd never believe I did anyway and always wonder whether I'm getting the "best" picture. I'm in Washington, DC, and the TV is a 50 inch Pioneer Elite (one with ISFccc). I saw a list of calibrators on AVS, but wasn't sure if that was the best way to go. I figure once I find someone to do the calibration, I'll simply ask that person whether I should do the break-in disk thing.

RayLewis #287041 01/15/10 08:42 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Unless you know someone personally which has the equipment to do a proper calibration, and you trust them to do a good job, AVS's calibrator list is probably the best source.

Indeed, contact the person who you find. Ask them what they think of a break/burn-in procedure. If you or they do believe that the panel does change over the first 100-200 hours, it would probably be best to get the set through that time, and let it settle a bit before attempting a fine calibration.

When the calibrator is there, watch what he's doing. Ask questions, get explanations of what each step is accomplishing. Most calibrators are also enthusiasts, and will be happy to talk about the improvements which are being made. That'll also help you be reassured that the work being done is helping.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
RayLewis #287043 01/15/10 08:48 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ray I found some helpful calibration numbers for our TV on this site ... TweakTV.com. They didn't have my exact model calibration numbers but they did have the numbers for a smaller set ... I used online calibration numbers for all of the TVs in our house, worked for me!

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #287046 01/15/10 09:01 PM
R
veteran
veteran
R
Thanks gentlemen.

Rick: They have a bunch of calibration numbers for my TV posted on AVS. However, the Pioneer I bought apparently is pretty sophisticated when it comes to calibration. The best I can make of it, I'd have to take all sorts of steps that I don't really understand to get the full benefit of that sophistication. I'm just not particularly competent with electronics and computers. Ultimately, I figure I'll just enjoy the TV more if I think I'm seeing the best picture, even if dropping the $300 really made little or no difference. That, at least, is my rationalization thus far. Still trying to think of others I can possibly believe (got a good price on the TV; will take a lot of time to just get the new receiver set up, much less the stupid TV; I work hard and deserve it), but have failed.

I'll let folks know what the person I end up using says about the break in and other general impressions.

RayLewis #287050 01/15/10 09:15 PM
axiomite
axiomite
Ray I'm no means a competent person regarding electronics or computers either, you know we're a minority on this site? Cool, I do have common grounds with somebody here. \:\)

I would suggest though, write down the numbers and/or have the calibrator show you how to get the TV back to his numbers if for some reason the TV defaults back to the factory settings. Our TV and my AVR defaults to *some* factory settings whenever we have a power failure and I always have to go back and re-enter the data ... a PIA sometimes.

I'll be interested with what the calibrator says.

Rick
Our Room

smile
RickF #287053 01/15/10 09:18 PM
R
veteran
veteran
R
Thanks Rick. That was actually going to be one of my questions for the calibrator--when we lose power (an event which is not infrequent in my home), how do I get the settings back to the TV. If I can't do that, there is no point in paying for the calibration in the first place.

RayLewis #287055 01/15/10 09:18 PM
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
I'm pretty sure I've read the list on AVS, and as Chris mentioned, it's a good resource. The most important thing is that you make sure that they are ISF certified. Here's a direct link to the ISF website where you can search for a calibrator near you.

The only reasonable argument for owning a gun is to protect yourself from the police.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters