Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Re: Learning to use my Denon AVR-890
bdpf #287274 01/17/10 10:56 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: bdpf

1) I have the TV, the receiver and the blu ray player connected thru HDMI. I have the HDMI control feature enable as I like the fact that when I turn on the TV or the BDP, the RCV turns on. The problem that I found is that when I turn on the BDP to listen to a CD, the TV and RCV also turn on, then since I am listening to music, I turn off the TV and then the BDP and RCV also turn off. Is there a way to only enable some off the turn ON/OFF features or my only choice is to disable HDMI control all together?
Bruno

Bruno, this question was asked a few weeks ago by me!

Ok, first off, I have a 2809 Denon combined with a Sammy 6 series LCD....here's what I had to do...

Go into the menue on the TV and scroll down untill you see "Wiselink".

"Enter"

The screen shows "Anynet + (HDMI-CEC)"

Make sure this is "OFF".

You should now have your Blu Ray and TV independently controlled.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Potatohead #287277 01/17/10 11:39 PM
bdpf Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
 Originally Posted By: Potatohead
I have the same receiver (2310) so I should be able to provide some input.

1. HDMI control is NOT what turns the other components connected to the receiver on or off (and vice versa). HDMI control keeps the last HDMI input you were using powered when the receiver is in standy mode. This allows someoone to watch TV using the TV speakers if they do not want to crank up the receiver and surround, for example. There is a seperate setting once HDMI control is turned on which is responsible for powering the receiver when another connected component is turned on. I don't remember the name but it's under HDMI settings in the menu, and I know it can only be used when the HDMI control is on.

2. Pretty sure this is Audyssey Dynamic Volume at work. I noticed this as well but have never paid much attention to it.

3. Leave the Denon in "auto" and displaying Dolby Digital. In the speaker setup menu you should only have it set to the speakers you have. If there is no center, the receiver should automatically direct center information to the front L & F.

1) yes, there is the "HDMI power ON" setting. I disable it an now everything is powered on and off independently. I liked the fact that when turning the TV on, the RCV would turn on by itself. Oh well, I can live with that, it's just too bad that Denon doesn't give you the option to control the power independently. One more thing is now, if the RCV is on and then I turn on the TV, the input switches to TV but the RCV doesn't disable the TV speakers like before and so have to disable it manually. However, if the TV is on then I turn the RCV on, the input switches to TV and the TV speakers get disables. I guess it's a mistake from the software point of view.

2)Dynamic volume is off, but I'm sure it's something else done by Audyssey. It doesn't bother me. I was just curious.

3)Only the LF and LR are selected. Maybe it's working properly, it's just I find the dialog to be so low in volume compared to the rest of the movie. Maybe its because I never had a HT before and it's supposed to be like this. It sure bothers me though...

Adrian:
Thanks again for your advice. I need to give it a try.

Bruno
M80s/VP180/QS8s/EP600/AVR-890
------------------------------------
"The problem is choice..."
bdpf #287293 01/18/10 02:55 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Bruno, just to confirm what others have said, when you set the receiver to show no center speaker, the center channel is automatically sent equally to the two mains, giving a "phantom" center channel; no other special setting is needed. As Alan and others have pointed out in the past, the dialog in the center channel in some DVDs isn't mixed high enough for easy intelligibility. One of the advantages of a separate center speaker is that its level can independently be bumped up a few dB to help with dialog. This of course isn't possible with the mains handling everything and there's no simple solution for those DVDs which have this problem.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

JohnK #287296 01/18/10 03:02 AM
bdpf Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
I didn't know that. That would make sense. I will have to try a few more movies and will let you know in a few days.

Bruno
bdpf #287316 01/18/10 06:43 AM
P
aficionado
aficionado
P
That makes sense to me as well. I do find I have to have the center up a couple db and listening at a decent volume to hear the center clearly. I imagine with a phantom center this would be an issue for me. It's twice as bad during sporting events when they start mixing in crowd noise, you can barely hear the darn commentators unless it's a decent (say 15 db below reference) volume. I would imagine it's working properly for you though because if you tell the receiver you have a center, and unhook it, you can hear virtually no dialogue at all, maybe 10 - 20% normal volume.

Last edited by Potatohead; 01/18/10 06:44 AM.
bdpf #287353 01/18/10 02:36 PM
veteran
veteran
Check out the Harmony 890 as well. FShop has refurbs for a great price right now. I've been using it for several years and it works great. You would also get RF capabilities for now or later if you ever hide your equipment. It used to list for $400+ CDN.

EFalardeau has one as well, so PM him if you like on his thoughts of this great remote. The One looks great and all the Harmony remotes I've used are easy to program and are comfortable in your hand.

HG Cherry M60's,VP150,Qs8's,EP350
Sloped #287387 01/18/10 05:27 PM
S
local
local
S
Dynamic Range Compression(DRC)?

This may or may not be the issue, I'd have to hear your system to be sure. I notice that a great many movies these days are mixed to be very... uh... dramatic.

When listening at a moderate volume *the dialogue is a little quiet and you have to actively listen to hear what is being said* then some action comes on and *THE MUSIC AND SOUND EFFECTS ARE OVERWHELMING*. Of course at a low volume the action is OK and the dialogue is really hard to hear. At a high volume the dialog is ok and the effects and music are over the top.

If this is what you are experiencing you may want to turn on Dynamic Range Compression on your BRD/DVD player or on the Reciever. I'm not sure what the option is called in the Denon.

Hope I'm not off-base and this helps
snazzed

snazzed #287389 01/18/10 05:49 PM
bdpf Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Yes, that's what I am experiencing. Is the DRC similar to what is applied when Dynamic volume is enabled. I found out that by turning on Dynamic Volume, I don't have these ups and downs in volume anymore but it doesn't make the dialog clearer. I tought I should leave it off. After all, isn't the dramatic effect part of the whole movie experience \:\)
I will check the DRC feature tonight though and see if it helps. Thanks.

Bruno
bdpf #287455 01/19/10 12:41 AM
Eno Offline
old hand
old hand
See if this will help with your unfriendly manual...

BATPIG'S "DENON-TO-ENGLISH DICTIONARY" SETUP GUIDE AND FAQ

Eno #287464 01/19/10 01:43 AM
bdpf Offline OP
aficionado
OP Offline
aficionado
Snazzed, I played with the DRC on/off and only noticed a minimal attenuation in the dynamic range. Unfortunately it didn't help with the dialog. I thing that Johnk is correct and it's something in the mixing. Once I'll get a center, if it's not clear enough for me, I'll just raise the center channel by a few dBs.

Eno, thanks for the link, it looks very helpful.

For those of you that have the harmony remote, does it keep track of which devices are on or off at anytime? What I am getting at is:
-if I want to listen to a CD for example,
- if nothing was on, it needs to turn on the CD player and the receiver but
- if previous to that I was watching TV, the same function needs to turn on the CD player, the receiver but also turn off the TV (if it knows that the TV was on)
Can it do that?

Bruno
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940