Rate Thread
qs8 position
#2874 05/04/02 02:16 AM
H
regular
OP Offline
regular
H
Has anyone experienced with qs8 height position?
I have mine at 90 inches from the floor or 4 feet above ear level when sitting. I cannot bring them any lower unless I bye stands.Is that too high? I seem to feel a better envelopment of sound when i stand up but I am not sure of that and i am not sure if it is worth the extra money stands would cost!! Help!

Re: qs8 position
#2875 05/05/02 07:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hello happyjohn,

Do you have your QS8s mounted at the sides of the listening area, with the "null" of the angled drivers firing across the room more or less toward each other?

If you have them at the rear of your room, you may notice a distinct improvement by moving them to the sides of the listening area, which is where Dolby Labs intends them to go and where I prefer them. In lots of rooms they'll work well moved towards the rear, but in others, side mounting improves the reverberant soundfield significantly and thus the sense of envelopment.

Experiment by moving them slightly forward of your seating area, or slightly to the rear, to see if you get further improvement. I don't think it's the height of your QS8s per se that's causing the problem, but every room is different and experimentation in surround placement is always useful.

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#2876 05/06/02 02:05 AM
H
regular
OP Offline
regular
H
thank you Alan.
They are on each side, and they sound great. I am sorry if i gave the wrong impression but there is nothing wrong with the sound of my qs8, but i am trying to fine tune my setup and i was wondering what is the optimal height for the surround.

#2877 05/07/02 08:24 PM
frequent flier
frequent flier
Hi Alan,

I too have the QS8's mounted on the back wall and notice they do sound good but not quite as good as when I had some PSB 10S's on the side walls butted right up against the back wall.
I plan on trying the side walls, but I do have a couple of questions.

PSB tech. support told me that it was ok to mount the 10S's right up against the back wall, is that ok for the QS8's?
My seated position is 2 feet from the back wall, I was thinking about putting the QS8's 6 in. from the back wall. So with the speakers being 11" long that would put me 6 or 7" in front of the speakers as well. Is this a good place to begin (I hate punching a bunch of holes in the walls) or should I try in front of my position (I can only go about 1' in front) or just leave them on the back wall?

Also, I'm told the best hieght for side walls placement is 2' above the listeners ear's, does that sound about right?

Other room info:
The seated position is in a little cove of the living room with the back wall only 8' long, with the ceiling in the cove being 10ft. high, and a 3' long wall on one side before it opens up into the kitchen and dining area. We also have vaulted ceilings 10'-15' high for the rest of the room.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,943
Posts442,465
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044