Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: room correction (Audyssey & Trinnov) with QS4 QS8
Ken.C #287837 01/20/10 10:12 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I've seen reports of Trinnov specifically failing with QS8s, and other di/bi-pole speakers. It uses the high frequency clicks to figure out where the speaker is in 3D space. The problem is speakers with 2 tweeters pointing in different directions seem to be in two places at the same time.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #287840 01/20/10 10:20 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I guess Trinnov can't play "Where's Waldo".
As for another room correct system, Anthem's ARC doesn't have any problems with QS8 (graphs show some pretty hectic curves, though!).

Last edited by EFalardeau; 01/20/10 10:21 PM.

See Mojo's signature
madjak #287843 01/20/10 10:28 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
 Originally Posted By: madjak
Sorry folks,

I think I got confused, I was thinking of the auto surround calibration function with Recievers where you plug in a mic and put it where you sit and the amp calibrates itself.

Has a\nyone had much luck with QS8s with this mechanism?

Now, I'm confused, what were they talking about then??

#287845 01/20/10 10:31 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: htnut
 Originally Posted By: madjak
Sorry folks,

I think I got confused, I was thinking of the auto surround calibration function with Recievers where you plug in a mic and put it where you sit and the amp calibrates itself.

Has a\nyone had much luck with QS8s with this mechanism?

Now, I'm confused, what were they talking about then??

And the forum claims two new victims!

See Mojo's signature
EFalardeau #287849 01/20/10 11:02 PM
H
htnut
Unregistered
htnut
Unregistered
H
Make that three.

axiomoholic #287850 01/20/10 11:07 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: axiomoholic
thanks guys,
Adrian - you mentioned some benefit from Audyssy - is that with QS4 or QS8's? Did you have any trouble getting a "read" on test tones coming from those speakers?

That would be QS8's. I believe I've run Audyssey 3 times over the last year and I know my left surround is a bit iffy, in that Audyssey has given me some fairly different readings on that particular speaker(-3 to -6db). I'm thinking that because that side is fairly devoid of furniture and basically just bare drywall, it is boosting freq's so Audyssey is taming that. I'd feel better if I got consistant readings on that side though...maybe I'll try it again and see where it's at when I get time.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Re: room correction (Audyssey & Trinnov) with QS4
Adrian #287892 01/21/10 02:22 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I ran audyssey when I first got my axioms and was not at all impressed. It turns out that I did not follow the instructions very well (I had the mic too close to a back wall, set mic to far outside the listening area (on my side couch.) I have run without it for almost 2 years. I just re-ran it this past weekend following all guides and FAQs to a T. It turns out that I still really don't care for it. It kills the bass on my m80's and makes the vocals sound "tinny". I re-ran it a second time just to make sure and it sounded the same.

I know a lot of people have said good things about Audyssey, but I have never experienced it. I am finding that it did a great job of setting my speakers distances and channel levels, but what sounds the best is the "EQ OFF" option that audyssey has ;\)

EDIT: FYI the version of Audyssey I have used is the MultiEQ XT that comes built in the Denon 3808. I do not have the "feature pack" upgrade (Dynamic EQ and Dynamic Volume.)

-David
terzaghi #287903 01/21/10 03:39 AM
A
veteran
OP Offline
veteran
A
thanks guys...

point of clarification - yes - the room correction I'm talking about is where you have a microphone and your AV unit is programmed to send out a series of sounds. The unit them analyses sounds and offers you the option to pre-process your output so that after coming out of speakers and bouncing around your room, they sound closer to the engineer's intended reproduction.

I raised the question because I've hear of one guy who commented he was having an issue with Trinnov bring able to get an accurate "read" on the output of his di or bi pole surrounds. ClubNeon provided some good information --- the chirp, coupled with what may be Trinnov's better accuracy (i.e. lower tolerance for accepting a confusing signal) may make this challenging. But I'm getting ahead of myself - I don't want to pass judgement yet - although years in development - this is such a brand new unit that Neon and I may be talking about the same guy's experience... too small a sample obviously.

As a seller of both the newcastle and obviously favoring multi-pole design for their surrounds, hopefully the Axiom folks can do some testing and chime in on this pairing soon.

axiomoholic #287905 01/21/10 03:53 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Any time I have spoke with someone from axiom they recommend to not use an EQ

-David
#287908 01/21/10 04:15 AM
shareholder in the making
shareholder in the making
Nut, a confusion sometimes arises because the auto-setup systems have two separate areas of operation: 1)calibrating speaker levels and delays for distance; 2)applying correction for room effects which apply to all speakers, regardless of their quality. As to auto-calibration, this is likely more accurate than can be done manually with a SPL meter, considering the added element of human error. Audyssey room correction, especially when combined with Dynamic EQ to compensate for lower volume levels, has been found to be quite effective by many(including me)and works well regardless of the dispersion characteristics of the speakers being used.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,944
Posts442,472
Members15,617
Most Online2,082