Print Thread
Rate Thread
Adding a new speaker
#288236 01/23/10 04:03 AM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
I'm not really looking for advice here, but just wanted to describe my experience, so far today.

I added a W100 to my M22's today and I'm supprised how "different" the sound is with this speaker. So far, it's just sitting on a box under the TV with a book under the back part of it so it isn't at too much of an angle. (Later I'll get 2 W22's to match). I'll stick it in the wall this Sunday. With the Pioneer Elite, I've had it in Front Stage Stereo Wide mode for a few weeks and got used to the sound of it. Now, I've got a 3.0 with L/C/R only. I've tried all of the surround modes several times with different material.

I've noticed there is less bass and less power to the sound. I've disconnected the center while playing with no change in the sound from the other speakers, so I know it's not due to adding more speakers to the receiver. I do need to increase the volume in order to get a greater impact of sound that I've grown accustomed to, such as setting the volume to -8 instead of -18. I've also been decreasing the volume on the center, and that seems to help a bit.

The first thing I did was run MCACC to get an EQ setting. I've listedned with EQ both on and off and right now I can tell very little difference, unlike before with just the M22s. My favorite setting for sound so far is PL +THX Cinema but this doesn't allow for seperate bass and treble adjustments, other than the EQ, which I haven't touched. But it just sounds more fuller.

Overall my system sounds good, but I can hear much more detail with just the stereo mode engaged. Perhaps I've just been spoiled by the Pioneer sound stage enhancements.

Re: Adding a new speaker
CatBrat #288240 01/23/10 04:24 AM
shareholder in the making
So you're comparing a special stereo mode to straight Dolby Digital?

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
CatBrat #288246 01/23/10 04:31 AM
It's completely understandable that the W100 sounds different when it's out in your room. It was designed with the wall's proximity in mind. Once it's in the wall, though, it will probably still sound a bit difference simply because it's not in the same location as your M22s.

Is this your first center channel? I prefer listening to music with the center channel off. I think the phantom center created by the front left and right speakers sounds much better. When the center channel is in the mix, it seems to rob some breadth from the soundstage.

Ken.C #288301 01/23/10 01:06 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
So you're comparing a special stereo mode to straight Dolby Digital?

I was just rotating and comparing through all of my surround sound receiver options and this is what I settled on in the first session, that seemed to have the best sound. Later it might change.

pmbuko #288303 01/23/10 01:09 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: pmbuko
It's completely understandable that the W100 sounds different when it's out in your room. It was designed with the wall's proximity in mind. Once it's in the wall, though, it will probably still sound a bit difference simply because it's not in the same location as your M22s.

Is this your first center channel? I prefer listening to music with the center channel off. I think the phantom center created by the front left and right speakers sounds much better. When the center channel is in the mix, it seems to rob some breadth from the soundstage.

Not really a gripe with the speaker, but with what I'm also hearing from the M22's that is missing from straight stereo mode. This is music and movies about equally. I would say that this is probably a funcion of the receiver. The enhanced stereo mode provided an excellent sound stage with lots of detail that I find missing on all of the surround sound options, so far.

And yes, it is my first center channel speaker, outside of a HTIB.

CatBrat #288455 01/25/10 12:20 AM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
Ok. After mounting the W100 in the wall and not doing A/B compares between stereo and surround modes (lol), I watched "Street Fighter: The Legend of Chun-Li" (Kristin Kreuk of Smallville fame), all I can say is the sound was nothing less than awesome. Volume at -10.

The tonal mismatch that I keep hearing about re: M22 vs VP100/150 is obvious, but I don't find it bothersome. Right now, I welcome the difference because it provides some variety to the overall sound.

CatBrat #288477 01/25/10 04:17 AM
aficionado
aficionado
that in-wall will sound different when it's placed inside the wall. i'm guessing that when you figure the placement out, it will all sound seamless.

also, i find most of those special surround modes suck. maybe it's just my receiver - an older denon.

bigwill2 #288525 01/25/10 02:54 PM
CatBrat Offline OP
axiomite
OP Offline
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: bigwill2
that in-wall will sound different when it's placed inside the wall. i'm guessing that when you figure the placement out, it will all sound seamless.

also, i find most of those special surround modes suck. maybe it's just my receiver - an older denon.

Agree on both points. When I get the 2 W22's installed the sound will be more uniform than it is now. Also I haven't found any surround mode that sounds what I would call good yet, it all seems to be which compromise I prefer the best. Partly because I don't have the rear surrounds, nor a SW yet. But I did turn on an option in my blu-ray player that is called "V. Surround 1", which I'm assuming stands for Virtual Surround, and it makes it sound a little fuller, so I'm sticking with this being on for the time being.

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters
Ken.C 18,044