Print Thread
Rate Thread
Break-in rules
#2886 05/05/02 07:22 AM
KurtisJ Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
I have some Axioms in the mail. I would like to know the rule of thumb on breaking-in/burning-in the speakers. What kind of source (CD/radio), what volume is best and how long?

Re: Break-in rules
#2887 05/05/02 08:24 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Hi KurtisJ,

It's a bit of a stretch from a technical point of view, but I suppose I'd concede that the surround materials on a woofer and midrange driver might "loosen up" with some well-recorded bass from complex dance, orchestral, or jazz CDs.

Set the level fairly loud--as loud as you might listen from day to day, but not a deafening level--and play the aforementioned discs for a few hours. DO NOT load up a CD changer with a bunch of CDs cut at different levels (as most discs are), crank up the volume, and go away leaving your system blasting away. A friend of mine (who should have known better) did this and went off to his job. He came home to find smoke rising from each of his $6000 pair of speakers and the amp, amazingly, still working but almost on fire!

In most cases, I believe that what actually is being broken in is your own set of ears, not the speakers. Your ear/brain acoustical system is learning to accommodate and accept the sound and tonal signature of a new pair of sound reproducers that you're not yet used to.

I've never seen a set of technical measurements before and after speaker "break-in" that showed a particle of difference in measured performance. But hey, barring the aforementioned blunder by my friend, you can't hurt anything.

Hope you love the sound of your new Axioms!

Regards,

Alan Lofft,
Axiom Resident Expert (Retired)
#2888 05/06/02 02:37 AM
KurtisJ Offline OP
buff
OP Offline
buff
Thanks...
On a related issue, what kind of speaker wire/cables do you use. The thoughts on Audiophile-forum and some others is the big buck cables. (Not all but a few will spend $100+/foot or a time consuming DIY) Then there is the cheapo 12-gauge RadioShack or Homedepot wire, which many use.

I currently use a clear coated 16 gauge wire for my Energy Take5 set up. But I need new stuff donned in white to blend with my walls.

Any thoughts?

#2889 05/06/02 02:28 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
KurtisJ

I just received M22's this weekend, and here are my thoughts:

1)Alan, of course, is right. I concur that you shouldn't turn them on and leave. Break in, to me, well.. I find they sound amazing out of the box. Maybe a couple of hours made them a bit more open. Otherwise, it's your ears that need to get used to it. I, however, like to try as hard as possible to not have any pre-conceived ideas about new speakers, because then it'll take you a long time to get used to them.

2)speaker wire: I am using Kimber 4PR, and it's absolutely terrific. Marc and audioshop.on.ca gave me a great deal. About 2.50$ per foot. If you want to go cheaper, go to www.partsexpress.com and order a roll of either SoundKing, or the slightly better Phoenix Gold. I am using Phoenix Gold 12 Ga silver coated OFC for my rear speakers (m3ti's), and it's MUCH better than the radio shack stuff I had. It was also barely more expensive. If you live in Montreal, go to the Stereoplus downstairs from Indigo downtown, you can get that stuff for about 75 cents to 1$ per foot. Well worth it!

good luck and happy listening!

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters