Next Thread
Print Thread
Rate Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Re: Got mad and left
Argon #290053 02/02/10 06:49 PM
axiomite
axiomite
As I often mention. I had a friend who quit working at a certain Big Box Store from the Future because of the unethical tactics he was being asked to participate in.

Sadly, when you need tech and can't wait for online delivery, it's often my only option. I just make sure I research exactly what I want first before entering the store. That way I can point at the box and avoid all discussion of brighter picture, magic cables or why the item on sale is sooooo much better than what I'm picking.

With great power comes Awesome irresponsibility.
Murph #290061 02/02/10 07:39 PM
shareholder in the making
I really would like to shop local whenever possible, but sometimes the price difference is too great even when dealing with highly reliable internet dealers such as B&H. (I don't go near those low-ball internet dealers that I've never heard of!). I just bought a couple of new cameras from them this morning, and wouldn't really consider buying those from anyone else.

On the other hand, I'm planning on buying two new Hi-Def video cameras in the next couple of weeks, and wouldn't buy THOSE from anyone BUT my local dealer! Well, I COULD buy those from B&H as well, but my local dealer usually gets relatively close on pricing and has benefits like letting me try out a camera for a day at N/C.

I don't feel any loyalty to companies like Best Buy. I don't buy equipment there, save a quick-needed computer part, and they have no depth to their music department, so I don't have much need for them.

::::::: No disrespect to Axiom, but my favorite woofer is my yellow lab :::::::
MarkSJohnson #290062 02/02/10 07:51 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
In addition to B&H, I don't know if you've dealt with Calumet or Adorama, but I give my approval to both.

Pioneer PDP-5020FD, Marantz SR6011
Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #290069 02/02/10 08:20 PM
I've dealt with Adorama a few times, but have been dealing with Calumet for 30 years, since they were in Chicago only and you could just call and tell them your name and they knew who you were! \:\)

I bought Mamiya RB67 and 4x5 stuff from them when I was in high school!

MarkSJohnson #290077 02/02/10 08:49 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
I use Phase One's Capture One software for my raw processing. They've recently made an investment in Mamiya to develop the camera bodies to go with their digital backs. Alas, all I can afford are 35mm DSLRs, I'd love to play with medium format digital.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
ClubNeon #290081 02/02/10 09:19 PM
The medium format stuff was when I was shooting film.... I couldn't justify or afford the digital Hasselblad I would like to play with either!

I miss medium format and large format... something about looking at that big image on the ground glass! It used to be fun to just take off for awhile to do some photography. I don't really do that anymore...

I just ordered a new 5D MKII and 7D, though... they'll be fine this weekend!

MarkSJohnson #290094 02/02/10 10:05 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
There are scan backs for large format digital which can be had for not too much. But they need a view camera, and can't really be used for anything but landscapes (or very slow moving people; maybe sloths).

Cool, you're a Canon shooter. I've just got a lowly 30D, but I'm not a pro. Although, I have made enough money here and there to break about even on my kit.

I was thinking about finding a way to get a 5D MKII, so I could mess with the video side of things too. But it really is a picture camera which shoots video. If I do try my hand a digital video, I think I'll pick up a Red Scarlet, which is a video camera which can also shoot stills.

Axiom M5HP, VP160HP, QS8
Sony PS4, surround backs
-Chris
PhillipD #290112 02/02/10 11:27 PM
S
local
local
S
 Originally Posted By: PhilD
My bad experience at Visions, a Western Canadian chain to which I will never buy something there again (but we won't get into that) was with a 50" plasma. Back a few years ago when the price was still high I went in picked out two modles and was inquiring about them. The sales person tried to fill me with the usual garbel they push until I asked them about a few things that he had no idea. So he went and got the sales manager who didn't know either and took offense to the questions. I said it was not important any way and asked the best price for the TV. He asked if I had been doing some research and I should know a fair price and to make him an offer. I then asked again for a price then he asked me what other prices I had, I told him that I did not want to low ball the competition. He would not let it go or give me a price and demambed to know what I would like to pay and that I had to be serrious about buying. By this time I was pissed and said how about $5 asshole and walked out.

Hey Phil, which Visions was it? I've found that in general they are pretty good. My extended family and I have had universally good experiences at 2 of their locations, SW Marine in Vancouver, and at the Langley By-Pass.

The King George Surrey, store however, is a nightmare. I had one good experience there and three bad ones. One of the bad ones included their general manager. Never going back to the Surrey store again.

snazzed

snazzed #290141 02/03/10 03:26 AM
P
aficionado
aficionado
P
 Originally Posted By: snazzed

The King George Surrey, store however, is a nightmare. I had one good experience there and three bad ones. One of the bad ones included their general manager. Never going back to the Surrey store again.

snazzed

lol, I can remember thinking how great that KG store was for car stereo back in high school. I drove past it the other day and laughed because I didn't even think it was still there. I am five minutes from the Langley store so I go there, or AVU in Surrey or Coquitlam.

Potatohead #290261 02/03/10 06:32 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
Mark & Chris,
When I was in college, I bought the new auto camera from Canon the AE1. Bought from a local (now out of business) shop in Winston. Back in the day the AE1 was it. I used it for years - mostly personal but did a couple of weddings for friends. I loaned it out and it came back broken :stupid: and I had a wedding request for my wife's cousin - lots of pressure. I had sent the AE1 out for repair and it was taking forever. As a last resort, I went to another local dealer, Carolina Camera, (now also out of business) all set to buy the "best" camera. I had it in my mind that Nikon was best.

I went mid day in the middle of the week to avoid customers and have full attention of the sales staff. There were several guys and one woman there and I was the only customer. All the guys were canonites and the girl was a nikonite. They were showing me pics of sporting events - the photographers row asking me to count the number of white lenses vs. the number of black lenses. The ratio was high 90's in favor of canon. I kept the scene going, telling them I was not convinced. I had never held an autofocus camera before and I was trying the Canon A2. The Nikon was a 50 or 70? Any way the lead guy challenged me to this test...there was a neon sign hanging in the window. Store was dark compated to the bright sunlight outside. The power cord was hanging from the sign. He told me to focus on the cord 10 times with the Canon and 10 with the Nikon. Whichever nailed the highest percentage on the first attempt each focus - that was the camera I should buy. I still remember the outcome....Nikon 5 of 10....Canon 8 of 10. I bought the Canon. Latest purchase is the 20D - totally happy with it. Like Chris, I have done enough weddings and ad hoc dances/sports photos to pay for the kit - albeit not the better lenses.

"A fanatic is someone who can't change his mind and won't change the subject" Churchill
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,945
Posts442,477
Members15,617
Most Online2,082
Jan 22nd, 2020
Top Posters