Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Re: Anyone buy a new refrigerator lately? Mine's d
madjak #289428 01/31/10 12:41 AM
M
connoisseur
OP Offline
connoisseur
M
Thanks guys. I definately do not want to be rutting around for ice. Whatever I end up with with have a dispenser in the door. I just read that Samsung makes refrigerators. Who woulda thought....

Ya, Peter, I don't want everything frozen. I'm using my grill for a freezer at the moment.

This sucks. So much for my new receiver.

michael_d #289431 01/31/10 01:19 AM
axiomite
axiomite
Maytag owner here. Same fridge going on 20 yrs.

Half of communication is listening. You can't listen with your mouth.
Adrian #289503 01/31/10 09:49 AM
B
connoisseur
connoisseur
B
I have to say when we bought here that the side by side fridge and freezer looked like it was going to be a beautiful combination. I have since taken that back. It just makes the fridge side narrower. Like just the width of a pizza box narrow.

That's my two cents worth.

Bren R.

BrenR #289523 01/31/10 04:10 PM
connoisseur
connoisseur
We've owned all 3 configurations in this order: Freezer top. Freezer Bottom. Side by side w/water & ice in the door.

By far, we enjoyed the freezer on bottom the best. Tons of room for large platters, and not bending over for everyday items. Everything is right there at eye level infront of you. We actually still own it, but it's been sent to the garage. I have the nicest beer fridge on the street.

When we moved and went to stainless, we got a great deal on a side by side. Love the water & ice, but hate everything else about it. Things just don't fit. (And it's a 25 or 26 cubic ft) We're thankful to still have the other fridge when realatives come around at holidays.

Shawn

Epic 80/600 + M3's + M3 Algonquins + M2 Computer + EP125
I think I'm developing an addiction.
real80sman #289526 01/31/10 04:49 PM
shareholder in the making
Thermodynamically speaking, the freezer on bottom ones make the most sense (at least if the coils are on top...).

I am the Doctor, and THIS... is my SPOON!
BrenR #289536 01/31/10 06:09 PM
axiomite
axiomite
 Originally Posted By: BrenR
I have to say when we bought here that the side by side fridge and freezer looked like it was going to be a beautiful combination. I have since taken that back. It just makes the fridge side narrower. Like just the width of a pizza box narrow.

We bought a Maytag SS, counter depth, side by side about 3 years ago. Got around the pizza box size thing by buying the 26 cubic foot fridge.
It is plenty big.
Water, ice crusher and cube dispenser that hasn't bunged up at all. The water jet wore out and sprayed water inside the freezer until the tip froze, but the replacement was only $50 and all is fine.

Now ask me about how i will never buy a Maytag dishwasher again...(just got a new Kitchen Aid last week on a wicked deal...fantastic!!)

"Those who preach the myths of audio are ignorant of truth."
chesseroo #289621 02/01/10 02:31 AM
T
axiomite
axiomite
T
We really hated our side-by-side. Too narrow on both sides.

Got a Samsung french-door (freezer on the botton, two doors but full width on top).

Love it. More importantly, Mrs. Tuttle loves it.

I use lots of ice cubes and honestly, I don't think it's that bad.

You can get this same config with ice/water in the door, but it costs at least $500 extra and sacrifices quite a bit of refrigeration space for freezer space.

Good luck, Mike.

bibere usque ad hilaritatem
Ken.C #289640 02/01/10 03:46 AM
connoisseur
connoisseur
 Originally Posted By: kcarlile
Thermodynamically speaking, the freezer on bottom ones make the most sense (at least if the coils are on top...).

And this is what several of the appliance guys told me. We're doing a remodel and ended up w/ a KitchenAid bottom fridge. No ice/water in the door because we wanted more interior. It also has an internal water filter which saves us from our monthly Arrowhead delivery.

We don't have it yet but we did do a bit of research. We've had side by side but space is small. You have trouble storing pizza boxes and cakes. The top fridge is probably the most space efficient but for some reason, you don't find high end models. Ours has french doors and steel front, a bit pricey but our local appliance shop is hurting for business and even beat Sears' sales price w/ free delivery. It's a family run shop that's been in business over 40 years. The bottom space is a concern but fortunately, we've got our top fridge going to the garage as a secondary unit. But it does seem that the bottom doesn't have any less space than a side by side would.

You might also check to see if you have a Sears outlet near you. They have LOTS of appliances from their scratch and dent stuff, all below retail and w/ full warranty. If you're lucky, the damage is on the side or back and you save a bunch. One fridge I looked at was about $1K less than the current sale price, but the dent was on the front. My local guy was only a few hundred more so I went w/ him instead.

Beware the Consumer Reports customer reviews. Sometimes people give appliances a really bad rating because of one feature they hate. Then you find that it's a feature you either like or don't care about so the review rating is irrelevant.

oldskoolboarder #289653 02/01/10 05:11 AM
What is this I keep hearing about leftover pizza?

oldskoolboarder #289662 02/01/10 05:42 AM
Cesar, Consumer Reports doesn't rely on "customer reviews" for its ratings of appliances. The ratings are based primarily on the results of tests in its lab. One area in which customer feedback is a factor is whether repairs were necessary.

-----------------------------------

Enjoy the music, not the equipment.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  alan, Amie, Andrew, axiomadmin, Brent, Debbie, Ian, Jc 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Need Help Graphic

Forum Statistics
Forums16
Topics24,940
Posts442,457
Members15,616
Most Online2,082